River Kwai Bridge Madness

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

River Kwai Bridge Madness

Post by Big Boy »

We've recently been up to the Kanchanaburi area with a coupe of groups of Christmas visitors from the UK.

I've taken the train across the bridge a few times, but this was the first time I'd ever witnessed a train crossing the bridge from the station. I alwats presumed the train travelled so slow, either because the bridge couldn't manage a train at speed, or it was letting the passengers soak up the experience.

I now know why it travels so slow. People were stepping out in front of the train (onto the walking plate between the rails) to take advantage of the photo opportunity. Absolute madness, playing chicken with how many tons of locomotive travelling towards them, only feet away? Surely, only in Thailand :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Re: River Kwai Bridge Madness

Post by buksida »

This guy wasnt so lucky ...

Dutchman killed in Kanchanaburi train fall
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: River Kwai Bridge Madness

Post by Big Boy »

:shock: That must have been the same train our friends travelled on, making its return journey. We were there only 2 hours earlier.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20