New High Rates at Pala U Waterfall

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
gandalfinthai

New High Rates at Pala U Waterfall

Post by gandalfinthai »

They are now charging 300 baht per person + 30 for the car. You cannot get local rates unless you have a Thai Identity Card (no a drivers license and long term visa won't work.)
What a shame for those of us who live here and have enjoyed this local landmark several times a year.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: New High Rates at Pala U Waterfall

Post by Bristolian »

If you work here......shove a copy of your work permit under their noses. If you don't walk away and encourage others to follow. Dual pricing for foreigners has a sell by date, which most attractions don't realise yet in ROT (Rip off tourists or rip off Thailand). Thailand has lost its Teflon coating and now is struggling with farming, manufacturing and exports. The sh*t is already at the fan blades. Tourists are increasing but not the spending tourists that the authorities need. Thailand is now in a recession with deflation high on the priority list.

Some simply need to wake up and smell the coffee. The gravey train has already departed. Thailand is now almost bottom of the list for tourist safety. The proportionally few sex tourists to Pattaya and Phuket may still come but other than the obvious they are small spenders. It's tme for Thailand to wake up and stop the exploitation of tourists. There are alternatives and the holiday makers quickly find them. Double standards in pricing is only one of many fundamental issues that faces the LOS if they want to maintain or dare to hope to grow real tourist numbers.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I've never had a problem getting into Pala U for Thai price before. No work permit at hand or any ID of any sort. Just spoke a little Thai with a smile and I'd get away with it. Will have to try again soon and report back.

Maybe the guy on the gate simply bats for the 'other team' and fancied me - not sure!
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

My Thai drivers license didn't cut any ice with the ladies at the gate. Dual pricing it was and my Thai friends were embarrassed about it.

I've been up there twice and, for me, I didn't think that much of it. I don't expect to go up there again.