Rabbit card and senior citizens

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Rabbit card and senior citizens

Post by Terry »

I will be 66 at the end of this month - so I qualify for being a grumpy olde git.

I still do some reduced hours working in Bangkok - 2 or 3 days a week.

My employers provide me with a work permit and I pay Thai income tax. All is legal

Being over 60 means I only pay 50% of the tax rate and I do not have to contribute to the welfare fund.

So far - so good.

Whilst in Bangkok, I tend to use the BTS a lot, to get around to my three places of work. I therefore spend between THB 500 - 700 a week on train fares.

So - a couple of years ago I got my 'Rabbit Card' - commonly known as a stored value card on other metro systems. It saves a hell of a lot of queuing for tickets and I top it up at any BTS ticket office - usually in a quiet period between offices. I even earn 'Carrot Points' for discounts at Maccas etc........never used them and never will.

Last week and elderly Thai colleague informed me that if I go to the Rabbit Office at Siam Station, show them my passport and driving licence as ID and proof of age and living here, I can get a purple senior citizens Rabbit Card. It entitles you to a 50% discount on your fare.

Good thinks I - I will go get one.

Went to Siam Station - spent nearly an hour in the 'Rabbit' office, where they copied my passport and driving licence, made several phone calls - only then to be told - sorry, not for foreigners - Thai senior citizens only.

Which IS of course what I had half expected. :guns:

It seems that having contributed several million baht to the Thai tax office over the years, having employed 7 families at the family business for over 11 years, housed watered and fed them - I don't qualify for jack shit.... :banghead: :banghead: :cuss: :rant:

Now then - back in England they do things differently............but I still wouldn't go back. :roll:
Bamboo Grove

Re: Rabbit card and senior citizens

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Have you considered permanent resident permit or do you already have it? Might that bring more advantages? I have no idea just wondering.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Terry wrote:I will be 66 at the end of this month - so I qualify for being a grumpy olde git.
Wow, Terry, that's seriously old! :shock:

Terry the Fish....jpg
Terry the Fish....jpg (24.63 KiB) Viewed 806 times
This is the way
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

images015NKEM4.jpg[/attachment][/img]

Are you sure you can't be tempted DM :P
I have a free bus pass and this bus goes passed my place every day :thumb:

Only joking LOL!
Attachments
images015NKEM4.jpg
images015NKEM4.jpg (18.45 KiB) Viewed 708 times
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hey Terry, I don't mean this in a bad way, but seriously mate, you've been here long enough to know that you will NEVER be fully accepted here, regardless of what you do or what you've done. Even if you got Thai citizenship tomorrow, you will still only be a farang. It's just the way it is here, but, it can often be to your advantage as well. :D :thumb:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Of course Takiap, you are totally correct.

It was the telephoning, copying of passport and driving licence that really got to me I guess. :twisted:

As for Thai Citizenship - forget it - I can't be ar5ed.............. :roll:

BB - permanent residency here, is now as rare as rocking horse 5hit and extremely difficult to get - unless you are prepared to pay a lot of money to get it.

Ho -hum - so I will bumble on.

:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Terry wrote:BB - permanent residency here, is now as rare as rocking horse 5hit and extremely difficult to get - unless you are prepared to pay a lot of money to get it.
BB :shock: ?

I think your age is showing through. Maybe you could qualify for a purple senior citizens Rabbit Card. :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

^^ :lach: ^^
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

BB - permanent residency here, is now as rare as rocking horse 5hit and extremely difficult to get - unless you are prepared to pay a lot of money to get it.
Never mind, Terry. Just keep on rabbiting on about this, maybe they'll give in one day.
:D
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

BG - it got to a point where I was trying to wish they all had a dose of Myxomatosis.................. :mrgreen: