Trip to BKK

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
barrys
Legend
Legend

Trip to BKK

Post by barrys »

Hi,

Lived here 15 years now, but have no idea of the geography of BKK.

Want to go tomorrow (Saturday).
Would like to go sightseeing tomorrow and Sunday - Royal Palace, trip on Chao Praya River and Chatuchak Market.

Monday, have to go to Police HQ Rama I and to the main Garmin dealer (Sathon Road I think).

Any idea where I could stay fairly central to all this and then get to a hotel Monday evening reasonably priced and reasonably close to Don Muang Airport. Have a 6.30 a.m. flight Tuesday morning.

Thanks a lot for any ideas.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Trip to BKK

Post by Nereus »

Hmm, going to be busy! Better to stay near the BTS / Skytrain for most of those.

Chatuchak Market. End of the line north.

Garmin dealer: http://www.gpssociety.com/EN/Pages/wheretobuy.aspx (also right at a BTS station.)

Police HQ. Can walk there from BTS. Cannot remember th station?

Chao Praya River: there are tours from near the BTS station, also most hotels will point you in the right direction.

Royal Palace: Need to be sure about the name, as the old one is called the "Grand Palace"

Hotels: there are a couple out towards the airport, but they are on the "wrong" side of the Vivaldi Hwy, so a taxi has to travel back towards the city before finding a U turn. Or there is the expensive one right at the airport.
For central Bangkok some where along Sukhumvit would be best.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Nereus wrote:Hmm, going to be busy! Better to stay near the BTS / Skytrain for most of those.

Chatuchak Market. End of the line north.

Garmin dealer: http://www.gpssociety.com/EN/Pages/wheretobuy.aspx (also right at a BTS station.)

Police HQ. Can walk there from BTS. Cannot remember th station?
(edit: https://plus.google.com/114253739756785 ... t&socpid=1)

Chao Praya River: there are tours from near the BTS station, also most hotels will point you in the right direction.

Royal Palace: Need to be sure about the name, as the old one is called the "Grand Palace"

Hotels: there are a couple out towards the airport, but they are on the "wrong" side of the Vivaldi Hwy, so a taxi has to travel back towards the city before finding a U turn. Or there is the expensive one right at the airport.
For central Bangkok some where along Sukhumvit would be best.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

FYI is sunday "Mom's bike day" in BKK? Huge traffic jam on the bike route? not sure. "
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.