Air trip to where locally from Thailand?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
migrant
Addict
Addict

Air trip to where locally from Thailand?

Post by migrant »

Thinking of a 4-5 day trip out of the country, by air.

Suggestions welcome for a quick trip of that length.

Would like

1) Relatively inexpensive
2) Since 4-5 days, somewhere that, once we land, won't require lengthy trips
3) Would like to do without visa's, My wife is Thai national and holds a Thai and US passport, mine is US. MIL, if she goes, has a Thai pasport

First thought is Ankgor Wat, but, again, open to suggestions

Thanks!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Trip to....Where?

Post by Dannie Boy »

How about Malaysia, you can fly to KL or one of the islands, Penang or Langkawi from BKK and its visa friendly for Thais and I would guess Americans
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Penang is nice and easy, and you can see ladies in burka riding the banana boat 8)

:cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Malaysia would be my choice also based upon the criteria. When more time and funds venture further afield to Vietnam, HK, Japan, Philippines. Singapore is a good 3 day place but $$$. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Wow a consensus! Sounds like Malaysia it is!

As you say Pete, when more time is available we want to visit all around Asia. Being from the states, and the policy of shorter vacations than our Euro counterparts, we have only been to a couple countries.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If you want peace and quiet (and duty free shopping), I'd recommend Langkawi over Penang, but if you want to cram more into your four days then Penang or maybe KL?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Malaysia is seriously expensive if you want to do touristy stuff (your wife will be double charged also) and the cab drivers fleecing you at every opportunity will grate soon. If duty free shopping is the plan then yes, Langkawi, you can get there via Satun.

I would do the following:

Myanmar - Mandalay (Air Asia fly direct), from there you can get to Bagan pretty easily.
Cambodia - Siem Riep (also a direct flight), Angkor Wat is impressive.
Vietnam - Hanoi is a fantastic city, you may need an e-visa though.

No visas for Thais for all three.

More ideas here: http://www.ontheroadasia.com
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Air trip to where locally from Thailand?

Post by Pagey »

I agree with Buksi about Malaysia, Vietnam is far cheaper for accommodation, food and drink.

From July Vietnam lifted visa restrictions for 14 days travel for UK and other countries so no visa needed, I think it was 50 usd before.

I'm in Dalat now after 4 days in HCM and my 3rd visit to Vietnam. I missed
my booked flight from bkk as Tues 8am airport bus took 5 hours. I bought another ticket at the airport for under 2500 baht with Vietjet and flew to HCM in about 1 hour 40 mins and I was through customs and in my taxi 15 minutes after landing.

Vietjet has various fare options so you could probably get cheaper online. It is the equivalent of Air Asia and my fare included baggage of 20 kgs which is extra. For such a short flight duration it is comfortable enough.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

hmmm some interesting ideas, Thanks!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

buksida wrote:Malaysia is seriously expensive if you want to do touristy stuff (your wife will be double charged also) and the cab drivers fleecing you at every opportunity will grate soon. If duty free shopping is the plan then yes, Langkawi, you can get there via Satun.
As far as Malaysia goes I've only done Penang - yes the taxis are expensive (if you can even find one to begin with!), but why would you use them anyway when there's such a good and cheap bus service around town?

If you like Indian and Chinese food you can eat cheaply enough so long as you're happy in the smaller restaurants. The only thinkgs I found particularly expensive were drinks but even then not really back breaking stuff, unless you like to drink pints and pints of beer every day of your trip.

If you're considering Penang and leaving from HH, I wouldn't even bother flying - just take the overnight train directly from Hua Hin to Butterworth then the ferry from Butterworth to Penang.
buksida

Post by buksida »

There are plenty of places in Malaysia where you cant get around on a good and cheap bus service (try getting to KL airport early in the morning for less than $60).

Yes, food is cheap there and plentiful (especially Penang) but if you want to do touristy things you'll get stung, the entrance fees are 3-4 times the equivalent in Thailand. The three countries I suggested are far better value and offer a far better travel experience in my opinion.

Maybe I just have Malaysia fatigue after going there so many times.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Possibly. I was pretty bored last time out in Penang - which was my 5th time in 18 months (and the smog didn't help, really!) - but certainly not the first couple of times.

If the OP is only going for 4-5 days then I'm sure he'll be able to afford the entrance fees for any of the touristy places that he does want to go to, anyway. And if he decides to take the train he'll have some extra cash in his pocket anyway fro the savings in travel costs.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Pleng wrote:Possibly. I was pretty bored last time out in Penang - which was my 5th time in 18 months (and the smog didn't help, really!) - but certainly not the first couple of times.

If the OP is only going for 4-5 days then I'm sure he'll be able to afford the entrance fees for any of the touristy places that he does want to go to, anyway. And if he decides to take the train he'll have some extra cash in his pocket anyway fro the savings in travel costs.
:cheers: Yes Mrs M drags me to quite a few :cheers:

Good thoughts all! Will post trip once done.

Pleng, the overnight train trip sounds intriguing, how comfortable was it?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

migrant the train is comfortable enough. The beds aren't big enough to stretch fully out on but they're very wide so there's plenty of room to sleep in a curled-up position. Book early and get a lower bunk as they're slightly wider. I'm towards the extreme end of tall, and I've had no problems on the 6 or 7 times that I've used the train.

Obviously the ride is pretty bumpy so you're unlikely to get a solid night's sleep as you wake up fairly frequently - but you still always feel like you've slept. I'd advise trying to get your head down early as fellow travellers seem to like to wake up at 6 in the morning and can be pretty noisy.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I'd suggest the 1st class sleeper. Not much more expensive but a lot more comfortable.