Four days in Hong Kong

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
migrant
Addict
Addict

Four days in Hong Kong

Post by migrant »

As you may have read I needed to do a visa run. Looked at suggestions here, and prices, and found Emirates had a very good price on airfare, RT ~180usd.

Looked at hotels and, following Pete's suggestion, room sizes, and found one that looked good for ~$90usd so off we went.

The flight left about 13:30 so wanted to catch the 6:00 am airport bus Tuesday from HH. We are in Bang Saphan so booked a room at G Hotel Monday night on soi 94(?). Not bad at $45usd but they had parking and walking distance to the bus station.

Our return put us into Swampy at 23:30 on a Sat evening. Sunday the wife wanted to see the furniture show in Bang Na so booked Sat night at Thompson Residences $45usd. We planned on leaving after the show down to Hua Hin for another night at G Hotel (we left our car in their secured lot).

Flight was great, never flew Emirates before, but heard of their service and we were pleased. Seat space in economy was fine for this large guy. Flight time ~ 2.5 hours.

Hong Kong

Never been there before so with some help from the internet we decided to stay in the central district. Getting off the plane was quick. We only brought carryon luggage (1.75 cases for mrs M 0.25 for me) so we exited the departure area quickly.

Right outside the area was a airport line terminal and we bought 2 one-way tickets (sale, 2 one way cheaper than round trip(?)) that would take us to HK station. We also bought the refillable octopus card that would work on the other trains. Signs were very good and found the train with doors open. 20 minutes later we are at HK station and switched to the central line. Another 20 minutes we were at our stop which, if my research was correct, was a 10 minute walk to the hotel. Well for once i was spot on. We arrived at LBP hotel a little after 17:00 and checked in. Hotel was very nice and boutiquie (a word?), kind of retro. Receptionist helpful and gave us a business package room with free breakfast, one free dinner at their restaurant and a discount for the second. Room was decent size, to the left as you entered was a sitting room with kitchen counter, table, chairs, couch and TV. In the middle a small bath and shower and to the right a bedroom with desk and TV. The rooms were small, but negotiable and quite nice. The receptionist suggested a restaurant across the street and said the steamed chicken was good so we went and had a nice dinner. A little walk up, and down, our road and we turned in.

Wed

Woke up and went to their free breakfast. Choice of American, Dim Sum or pancakes plus help yourself coffee, fruit and croissants, all good.

We noticed that HK had a Big Bus. This is a tour group with buses in many large tourist destinations around the world. We had taken one in San Francisco and liked it. In HK they had a variety of packages. We chose the two day. It offered 2 lines in central (hitting Stanley and Aberdeen) and one in Kowloon. They have about a dozen stops each line and you can get on, and off, wherever you wanted, as many times in the two days as you wanted, along with a guided narration via earphones. The package also included 2 tix to the maritime museum, a harbor cruise, 2 sampan rides at Aberdeen, 2 free ferry's to Kowloon, rt, a night tour for the lights and a choice of the tram to Victoria peak, or the top of the international commerce center on their 100th floor. It had an office at the central pier 7 so we walked down from the hotel, about 20 minutes

I had read, seen pics and movies of HK, but never realized the number of skyscrapers all crammed in. The tour said HK has over 8,000 skyscrapers, most of any city in the world, second is New York with New York. Amazing!

NOTE: Trying to attach pictures but they seem too large. If I can, and there is interest, I'll resize later and post.

We did the first line that went the backside to Stanley and Aberdeen. Got off a few places and wandered about getting lunch in Stanley and visiting the market. That took most the day so after dinner at a nice Nepalize restaurant. We then did the night tour. This was a one hour ride through central and Kowloon to show off, well, the lights. With Christmas there was lots of decorations.

Thurs

Walked from our hotel to one of the stops that was nearer to the hotel than the pier and rode the second central line, again hopping on, and off a couple places. Eventually ended up at the pier again, took the ferry to Kowloon, and the Big Bus line there. Getting around was busy, and crowded, with people and construction, but signs everywhere made it relatively easy.

After the Kowloon line we hung around, had dinner, and stayed for the first lazer light show at 20:15 which was interesting.

Friday

The wife wanted to see the big Buddha on Lantau so we grabbed our octopus pass and headed out. The train stopped very close to the sky tram so we decided we would go that way vs the bus. When we got through the line to the ticket counter i thought, not too bad. I'm not a crowd person and hate waiting. Well with tickets in hand we rounded the entry and proceeded to wait in line 2 hours before we got on a tram (I was not a happy camper). The tram was nice, good views, The Buddha was big (250 steps up) so mrs m was happy. Took the tram down and headed back to Kowloon.

Mrs m (getting to see a pattern?) wanted to look at shopping so hit a big mall that contained everything anyone with too much money could want. We didn't buy anything, but she got her wish list together.

The package we bought gave us a choice between the Victoria tram and the International commerce centers viewing floor from 100 stories up. We saw the lines at the tram and chose the ICC building.

Easy on the elevator and it rose all 100 stories in 60 seconds and very smoothly. They had a room on top with a bar (Yes!!) and 4 sides of windows that offered an amazing view. After a while there we took the ferry back, wandered around and had a late dinner at the hotel using our one free, one discounted vouchers. The hotel had excellent food and was really trying hard to please including a couple free appetizers.

Saturday

We checked out and made arrangements to leave the bags until later since our flight was 21:00. Wandered down to the pier again, took the harbor cruise, and toured their excellent maritime museum. From there went to the midlevel escalators and rode them the one way up (they reverse at, I think, 16:00) and wandered down poking into a couple shops.

Collected our bags and a quick, easy trip via train back to the airport and off on time.

Hong Kong was pretty amazing. When I read up on it one site mentioned an expat could live there all their life without getting much of a Chinese experience if they wanted. It seemed true, many people spoke english and signs everywhere with good directions. I like to go to out of the way places to eat so we encountered a lot of Chinese only, but we managed well (I usually do when food is concerned).

There is a lot more places i would like to visit around Asia but wouldn't mind returning one day.

Mrs m was a bit disappointed. Their markets were not that big, or common, when compared to BKK (or cheap). She figured the shopping reputation was due to no sales tax so name brand ($$$) items are cheaper there.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Re: Four days in Hong Kong

Post by PeteC »

Good trip report. :thumb: How did the visa part go....friendly and uncrowded consulate?.....problems?......recommend to use or not use? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes please to the photos - always enjoy photos :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I have been to HK several times, for the 7 a side Rugby tournament in March, world class event over 3 days with masses of rugby fans there. One thing you arewarned about, by Sunday many of the ATMs have run out of money, esp within a mile or so of Happy Valley where the games are played. Great weekend--if you haven't got tickets and hotel resrvations by now---too late for 2016.
One amazing thing about HJ are the 'country areas", the back side ofthe peak and the far north of the New Territories are so beautiful and wild.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Thanks for the report, would like to see the photos, too. I have always liked Hong Kong. I spent there quite a few weeks in 1987-8, it was sort of a base for me in between my trips around Asia.