Cambodia visa run

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
seveneleven
Amateur
Amateur

Cambodia visa run

Post by seveneleven »

I flew into Phnom Penh with AirAsia and it was fine but delayed. Doing a 3 week stayover on a visa run.
Phnom Penh is still gritty and full of life, I've been here many times and it changes every year.
Have taken a liking to Paddy Rice on Sisowath and 136 street for food and beers. Also enjoy Fat Boy Subs next to Sharky's Bar, and Karma Restaurant on the riverside. The food options are far too many so choosing a busy venue means clean(er) and better food.
For nightlife the options are abundant but be sure to book a hotel near the nightlife you want and best don't trust the local transportation late at night. Better to be on foot and carry only what you don't care to lose.
Currently in Siem Reap, cannot recommend it, other than to see the temples, which I've done 2 times already, it's overrun with tourists and everyone local is geared towards the tourist dollar here. Very little options for a rest and relaxation trip, because everyone wants to take you somewhere and to fill your time with activities.
I haven't really been out much, went to a Cambodian beer garden last night for barbecue beef and beer and that was fine, same as I remember it 4 years ago.
The road from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap is horrible condition and the bus took more than 7 hours which was a bit too much for me, I dread the return trip on Tuesday.
This is my 3rd time in Siem Reap I haven't really a plan yet this time around, but I'll go out now and try to avoid the noisy tourist bars and find a quiet place for a few beers and some decent food.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Cambodia visa run

Post by oakdale160 »

I enjoyed Kampot, its closer to PP than HH is to BKK but it takes about the same time. Quiet,a little dull, food and drink options small but ple nty for a weeks stay. Sit, have a beer look at the river is the main activity. Tourists mostly back packers. Minimal pressure from beggars, tuk tuk drivers etc.
seveneleven
Amateur
Amateur

Post by seveneleven »

Kampot is alright. I spent a lot of time there in the past.
I do prefer Kep by all means as its seaside and far more relaxed.
There is a lot not to like about Cambodia but it is a decent country with good people despite all the beggars, thieves, scammers, and bs.
My focus when here is to not speak to anyone who approaches me and I'm fine with everyday here.
If someone approaches me here and wants to talk to me or something anything from me, I walk away and ignore them.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Any info. on the 'Killing Fields'?
seveneleven
Amateur
Amateur

Post by seveneleven »

I first went there about 11 years ago and it was just me and a few other random foreigners maybe 3 at most, lots of beggars and little kids running up saying take photo then wanting a dollar.
I went again about 4 years ago and it's very much changed, there is a fence now to border the area, they hand out free audio headphones for every person on entrance which is whatever language you speak which takes you through audio walking tour.
This year there is a new bus catering to tourists, which is probably a lot cheaper than the tuk tuks, it is a half day tour of both the Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng S21 Prison, which is well worth a visit if you haven't seen it,
I'd be happy to provide the contact details of the new bus once I get back to Phnom Penh.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Its difficult to say this and not soundlike a condescending, patronising racist BUT, here goes. --You take a country, deliberately kill as many of the intelligent educated people that you can, then the results of that show for a couple of generations.
seveneleven
Amateur
Amateur

Post by seveneleven »

It's been 36 years now since the rouge was defeated, things are changing but very slowly. It is definitely still a bit of a jungle wild west though.
Have to be aware of everything at all times.
There are things though that I appreciate about the local people here, genuine friendliness, hospitality, and desire to establish good relations with tourists and foreigners. There is also a great deal of dysfunction and varied understanding that needs to be in place with Cambodians.
In the end I am a foreigner, wherever I go outside of my home country. I fully understand that I am a foreigner and have no intention of trying to not be a foreigner.
No matter what effort is made there is always a divide.
I've got 10 more days in Cambodia and I'll enjoy it best I can.