Over night trips from Hua Hin

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Henrikas
Rookie
Rookie

Over night trips from Hua Hin

Post by Henrikas »

I'm returning to Hua Hin with my family for the fourth time this summer. We're staying for a month, but it would be good to see more of the region, and we're thinking of spending a handful of days to go somewhere else and see more of Thailand.

We have two kids - 4 and 1 yrs - so they impede our mobility a bit, but we're still pretty adventurous. We'd like to limit the time spent travelling in a single day to 3-4 hours, though, so it looks like Koh Samui is too far. We've been to Bangkok before, but are there any other interesting places within reach? Are there any reason to venture across the border to Myanmar?

We are okay with all means of travel, though minibus might not be safe with kids?
buksida

Re: Over night trips from Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

You cant go into Myanmar without a Burmese visa.

Bangsaphan is worth a look: www.bangsaphanguide.com
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

The Beach at Ban Krut. 159 km. 3 hours

The city of Prachuap Khiri Khan. 94 km 2 hours.

Dolphin Bay. 45 km. 1.25 hours.

River Kwai in Kanchanaburi. 200 km (4 hours)

Pala U waterfall. 64 km (2 hours)

Pranburi. 35 km. 1 hour.

Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park. 60 km. 1.5 hours

Thaao Ko Sa Forest Park. 30 km. 1 hour.

Cha Am. 26 km. 30 minutes.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Kaeng Krachan, Phetchaburi : 77 km.

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/st ... d=113&lg=2

:cheers: :cheers:
Juice81

Post by Juice81 »

Infact we have exactly the same kind of situation, we're going to Hua Hin next tuesday to stay for a month. We have two kids, 5 and 1,5 years. I found an interesting place from Prachuap Khiri Khan called Ao Manao. Should be really nice and you can go easily by air con train from Hua Hin, takes about one hour plus taxi rides.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

You could get a train from Hua Hin to Nakhon Pathom. Get off the train and take a short walk to the largest Buddhist Chedi in the world, on your way you could wander round a typically Thai (non-touristy) market. Then you could get another train to Kanchanaburi and spend a night or two at my favourite 'secret' island - http://www.kasemisland.com.

VS
Last edited by Vital Spark on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Henrikas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Henrikas »

Nice, thank you very much for all of the suggestions. And of these places are worth staying for a couple of days, or are they primarily covered in a day?

Sent fra min PLK-L01 via Tapatalk
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

You'd need to stay overnight in Kanchanaburi, but it's such a lovely place I think it's worth a couple of nights.
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
U.Kvarme
Amateur
Amateur

Post by U.Kvarme »

with kids, it may be fun to have a snorkling trip, I also recommend Bangsaphan just two hours driving from Huahin. 3D2N is enough.

In Feb 2015, we got few guests from Norway. We took our guests to the same place and also took scuba diving one day trip to Koh Talu. After 5 mins desending, we saw a whale shark:-) It was so exciting and it was an impressive trip for our guests as well.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

U.Kvarme wrote:with kids, it may be fun to have a snorkling trip, I also recommend Bangsaphan just two hours driving from Huahin. 3D2N is enough.

In Feb 2015, we got few guests from Norway. We took our guests to the same place and also took scuba diving one day trip to Koh Talu. After 5 mins desending, we saw a whale shark:-) It was so exciting and it was an impressive trip for our guests as well.
Sutchart tours in Bang Saphan run fishing, snorkeling and dive tours. They will also pick you up all at reasonable prices. Good people too
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Henrikas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Henrikas »

Looks like we will take a trip to Koh Tao (or Phangang / Samui). Any recommendations which one is best destination for a family of four, one 4 yrs old girl and 1 yrs old boy? Also very much looking for accommodation recommendations, trying to find a decent bungalow on the beach, think the girl would love that [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent fra min PLK-L01 via Tapatalk
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

[quote="JamesWest"]

The Beach at Ban Krut. 159 km. 3 hours (1.5-2.0hrs)

The city of Prachuap Khiri Khan. 94 km 2 hours. (1-1.25 Hrs)

Dolphin Bay. 45 km. 1.25 hours. (45 min)

River Kwai in Kanchanaburi. 200 km 4 hours (2.5hrs)

Pala U waterfall. 64 km 2 hours (1 Hr)

Pranburi. 35 km. 1 hour. (30 mins)

Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park. 60 km. 1.5 hours (45mins)

Thaao Ko Sa Forest Park. 30 km. 1 hour. (20min)

Cha Am. 26 km. 30 minutes. (15mins)

James, Really are you taking a motorbike???? LOL, I have done all of these trips in a car and on a Big Bike, must drive much faster than you... ... I put my real numbers on the time enroute to each in parentheses.......
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!