Blog: Scuba diving in the Similans

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Blog: Scuba diving in the Similans

Post by hhfarang »

I found the following blog about a father and son dive trip in Thailand interesting. Thailand, the Andaman and Similan islands in particular, does have world class diving. My main hobby for over 20 years was diving and underwater photography (well over 1000 hours underwater) and a ten day Thailand live-aboard out of Phuket was the last big trip I took. In that 20+ years the only place I was ever able to see and photograph whale sharks was off Richelieu Rock in the Andaman sea, where we saw them on every single dive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/21/trave ... iving.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Re: Scuba Diving in Thailand

Post by buksida »

Yep, you cant beat the Andaman for quality diving. Never encountered a Whale Shark in all of my years underwater but did get to dive with mantas at Hin Daeng and Hin Muang off the coast of Koh Lanta.

The best livaboard I did was a week up the coast of the Mergui Archipelago - absolutely pristine stuff, plenty of sharks (very rare in Thai waters) and 40m+ visibility.

Sadly there is nothing that even comes close on this side in the Gulf, but it is probably a good place to learn.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson