Uber-X taxi service in Thailand

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Uber-X taxi service in Thailand

Post by Ginjaninja »

Was in Bangkok over the weekend and used my Uber app for the first time.
Excellent service!
Minimal waiting, no price argument, very efficient (paid cash to the driver).
Haven't tried in Hua Hin, anyone know if they have cars here yet?
:cheers:
GN.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Uber-X

Post by Bristolian »

^^ a question. I find the BKK taxi's pretty good outside of the main tourist areas. What is the advantage of using Uber? I have never used their services and hence my question.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

You can book them using your phone app. Maybe not so appropriate if just wanting to flag-down a taxi en-route but for example getting from your hotel to X location I prefer to use Uber.
The main advantages I can see is that the fare is calculated based on the distance. I paid 1.2X the normal rate when I booked on Sunday because of a slightly higher demand. There may be other surcharges like extra passengers, etc. but I'm not sure of that just now.
For me, I'm not really sure what to pay the taxi and resent getting ripped off. If they are using the meter then yes I agree the fare is usually pretty good.
Give them a go one day Bristolian.
Cheers,
GN.

Edit: Reading back through that, I don't think I did a very good job selling it to you.

:P
Last edited by Ginjaninja on Mon May 02, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Don't think so Nereus.
If you have a smart phone then simply download the 'Uber' app and check it out. It's called Uber-X in Thailand but it's the same Global Uber app as far as I can tell.
GN.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ok, thanks GN. I did get my Granddaughter to download Grab Taxi, but she could not get it to work. You can ask for a price using the app, and they will send a cab within a few minutes. From what I was told the request for a cab goes out to those cabs that are part of it, and whoever wants the job can accept it. :cheers:
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Nereus wrote:Is this the same service?

https://www.grab.com/th/en/taxi/?gclid= ... aAod1VoIlA
Totally different service and company to Uber X. Grab is a local app and will direct member taxi to your location. It is a similar concept to Uber and has been around for at least 12 months or so when I became aware of My children use it frequently in Bangkok, particularly late at night so they are not walking in isolated areas.

Über has also introduced another system for trial earlier this year called Uber Moto which is similar to Uber X but utilizes motor cycle taxis. Not sure how the trial has gone nor have I used the service. Did mention it in a post earlier this year.

https://newsroom.uber.com/thailand/ubermoto-en/
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ok, thanks Bluesky. I have not been following it, but I seem to recall reading about Uber in other countries being controversial. In fact, banned in some places? :cheers:
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Re: Uber-X taxi service in Thailand

Post by Arlo »

Ginjaninja wrote:Was in Bangkok over the weekend and used my Uber app for the first time.
Excellent service!
Minimal waiting, no price argument, very efficient (paid cash to the driver).
Haven't tried in Hua Hin, anyone know if they have cars here yet?
:cheers:
GN.
So with uber in Thailand you pay cash? In the states one of the best things about it is there is no cash involved. Click the app request a ride and type in your destination. You can see where the driver is on the app and watch him or her on the map make their way to you. Once they pick you up, your destination is on their phone and google maps gives them the best directions to where you are going, so no taking the long way if you are not familiar with the area. When you reach where you are going, you get out and off you go. No cash allowed and no tips with uber, at least it's that way in the states. Another great thing with these apps is you get to rate the driver and if the driver falls below a certain rating they are no longer allowed to drive for that company. The passenger is also rated so the lower your rating the harder it might be to get a ride.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Arlo,
there is a preference within the app to add your credit-card and thus adding another advantage as you have elaborated.
It was the first time I used the app so happy to have the option to pay cash.
https://www.uber.com/cities/
Have check Hua Hin in the Uber 'city-finder' and it displays "Uber is currently not available in this location".
Cheers,
GN.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I have been caught out with Uber from time to time in London and other cities, due to their "surge pricing" Never tried them in BKK, so don't know if it applies there but I suspect it does, when reading their website.

This is from their Thai website, it is the last line that applies to my problem with Ubers charges, as sometimes, they can charge 3 x the fare!
Uber is not a transportation provider. No need to tip. Flat rates apply to direct trips between specified locations. Additional stops may result in a higher fare. Applicable tolls and surcharges may be added to your fare. At times of intense demand, our rates change over time to keep vehicles available.

There are ways around it, by asking for a price, or by Uber sending a message to your phone on price, but this does not always happen and you are stuck with a huge bill. It would be good, if Uber sent out a message via their app when the surge pricing starts and finishes in any city, it would save people being caught by the extra costs.

Just my humble opinion. :duck:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Nereus wrote:Ok, thanks Bluesky. I have not been following it, but I seem to recall reading about Uber in other countries being controversial. In fact, banned in some places? :cheers:
This may be a a bit of a borderline response with the mods with regard to topic Nereus but Uber has been going for some 10 years now and their business model has proven to be be a major business disruptor to the taxi industry and has debased the ability of licensing and regulatory authorities with respect to revenue collection. The situation in Oz being no different with approval in some states and outlawed in others (eg: AUD 200k IIn fines were issued in Queensland against 62 Uber drivers, but fines paid by Uber.) That being said the company has grown in a decade from beginnings to a value of around an expected USD 62 Billion on Initial Public Offering(IPO) if floated. To date it has been funded by private equity.

Have attached a link for an overview

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/214631/ ... po-of-2016
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Thanks. Well, it states in that link that Uber has been banned in parts of Thailand. :?
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

^ I'm surprised it ever got off the ground, when you consider the so called "Taxi Mafia" we read about, all over Thailand.
:twisted:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

^ that's pretty much what happened in China. Uber introduced, copied by a local firm then undercut at every opportunity to minimise Uber market share.
Now where's the ethics in that......
GN.