Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide : Ban Krut Info : Hua Hin Taxi
Post Reply
User avatar
404cameljockey
Professional
Professional
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by 404cameljockey » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi guys,

I think I'm decided on using a taxi service to get to HH from BKK airport for a 4 day trip to HH. Even though to hire a rental car in HH is twice as much as in BKK, I don't want the drive down and back this time, nor use minibus or coach.

On a weekday (Wednesday), what are the best times to use the road BKK/HH (or otherwise not to), and on a Saturday when should I try to travel HH to BKK please?

Thanks

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by Dannie Boy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:24 pm

The time taken in getting from the airport to HH is largely determined by how long it takes to get from the airport to the outskirts of Bangkok - early morning (6-9am) and early evening (4-7pm) rush-hours are the time to avoid, outside of these times, it shouldn't vary very much. Returning from HH to BKK on a Saturday shouldn't be as bad, but still better to avoid the early morning/evening peaks if possible.

Nothappyjan
Member
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:55 am

Re: Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by Nothappyjan » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:34 pm

Best advice is to check that you are not travelling on a public holiday, especially returning to BKK on the last day of any holiday. A 3 hour journey can turn into a 6 plus hour crawl.

BOZ
Professional
Professional
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by BOZ » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:22 pm

I do 10AM either direction and find it the quickest possible... Avoid rush hour our you will almost add 50-75% to the trip....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!

User avatar
404cameljockey
Professional
Professional
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by 404cameljockey » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:59 pm

Superb, thanks a lot. An Estate agent friend in HH told me after 10 am too, so I'm confident now (no public hols in June that I can see, May was crawling with them!) I also know that Sunday HH to BKK is bad because of the locals returning to BKK after their weekend break in HH. :D

Cheers!

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 29505
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by Big Boy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:56 am

Be aware, there are roadworks, which always seem to delay the journey by about 30 minutes to an hour at the moment.
Football League Trophy - Plymouth Argyle...2 Chelsea....2 (Green Army win 5 - 4 on penalties) :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 3; Position 8

User avatar
404cameljockey
Professional
Professional
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by 404cameljockey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:06 am

Big Boy wrote:Be aware, there are roadworks, which always seem to delay the journey by about 30 minutes to an hour at the moment.
Thanks Big Boy. By the way I just asked you in another thread about your limo service (not yours....) that does airport round trip for THB 2600.

I could use that if I can book it today, as I arrive tomorrow at 18.10h. :)

User avatar
JamesWest
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1155
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:23 am
Location: Khao Takiap, Hua Hin

Re: Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by JamesWest » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:37 pm

you know, starting at midnight out of BKK/HH no traffic at all going south.
same same the other way. I made it from BKK to HH in 2 hours 45 minutes with a crazy taxi driver and wide open roads.

Weekends are hell. It can take 30 minutes sometimes just to get across HH.
Again weekend traffic drops off in the middle of the night.

Good luck.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.

User avatar
404cameljockey
Professional
Professional
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by 404cameljockey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:42 pm

JamesWest wrote:you know, starting at midnight out of BKK/HH no traffic at all going south.
same same the other way. I made it from BKK to HH in 2 hours 45 minutes with a crazy taxi driver and wide open roads.

Weekends are hell. It can take 30 minutes sometimes just to get across HH.
Again weekend traffic drops off in the middle of the night.

Good luck.
Cheers James!

Yes my dad was a London bus driver donkeys years ago, and he would only drive the night buses in the end, the daytime traffic just got him down, plus the money was better! :D

User avatar
Bristolian
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3131
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:38 pm
Location: Hua Hin & Bangkok

Re: Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by Bristolian » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:56 pm

I drive regularly (weekends) between the two as I work and live BKK in the working week and. Live HH weekends

Already you have the best advice

I leave BKK around 15:00 on a Friday and can be in HH between 17:30 and 18:00. Traffic and road works dictate

I return to BKK on Monday morning 03:30 -04:00 and pushing hard I can do it In a little over two hours but often pay the speeding fine from cameras. (400 B) benefit is that the road is clear except for fish pick-ups and busses that stay in the outside lane.

Key for early mornings is to reach the Rama 9 bridge before 07:00.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

User avatar
jumusman
Professional
Professional
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Re: Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by jumusman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:47 pm

Bristolian wrote:I drive regularly (weekends) between the two as I work and live BKK in the working week and. Live HH weekends

Already you have the best advice

I leave BKK around 15:00 on a Friday and can be in HH between 17:30 and 18:00. Traffic and road works dictate

I return to BKK on Monday morning 03:30 -04:00 and pushing hard I can do it In a little over two hours but often pay the speeding fine from cameras. (400 B) benefit is that the road is clear except for fish pick-ups and busses that stay in the outside lane.

Key for early mornings is to reach the Rama 9 bridge before 07:00.

"I leave BKK around 15:00 on a Friday and can be in HH between 17:30 and 18:00"

I am confused. So on a Friday, the day that half of Bangkok hops in their car to drive to Hua Hin for the weekend you somehow manage to get their in 2.5 hours.

I believe the other post where someone said they left in the middle of the night and the taxi driver was going very quickly with no traffic at all going south in 2.45 hours but sorry.... your story is a little unbelievable. Especially as you would be arriving in the outskirts of Cha Am/Hua Hin around rush hour.

You know some secret road that the rest of us are not aware of ??
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936

User avatar
Bristolian
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3131
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:38 pm
Location: Hua Hin & Bangkok

Re: Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by Bristolian » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:26 am

jumusman wrote:
Bristolian wrote:I drive regularly (weekends) between the two as I work and live BKK in the working week and. Live HH weekends

Already you have the best advice

I leave BKK around 15:00 on a Friday and can be in HH between 17:30 and 18:00. Traffic and road works dictate

I return to BKK on Monday morning 03:30 -04:00 and pushing hard I can do it In a little over two hours but often pay the speeding fine from cameras. (400 B) benefit is that the road is clear except for fish pick-ups and busses that stay in the outside lane.

Key for early mornings is to reach the Rama 9 bridge before 07:00.

"I leave BKK around 15:00 on a Friday and can be in HH between 17:30 and 18:00"

I am confused. So on a Friday, the day that half of Bangkok hops in their car to drive to Hua Hin for the weekend you somehow manage to get their in 2.5 hours.

I believe the other post where someone said they left in the middle of the night and the taxi driver was going very quickly with no traffic at all going south in 2.45 hours but sorry.... your story is a little unbelievable. Especially as you would be arriving in the outskirts of Cha Am/Hua Hin around rush hour.

You know some secret road that the rest of us are not aware of ??
I know of no secret road and I really don't care if you believe me or not!

If you know Bangkok, I live very close to Central Rama 3 which is adjacent to the toll highway to and very close to Rama 9 bridge. I therefore do not need to cross Bangkok or fight any heavy traffic in Bangkok. The only slowish part of my journey is normally Rama 2 until Samut Sakhon.

Providing that I leave my Bangkok home between 15:00 and 15:30 I can complete the journey in 2.5 Hours. believing it or not is your choice, it matters not a jot to me!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

hhinner
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Post by hhinner » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:57 am

Agree with Bristolian. As long as you can get past the bottleneck where Rama II meets Kanchanaphisek before the evening traffic build-up (Fridays earlier and more intense than other days) the journey after that is pretty much OK.

Is there a rush hour in Cha-am? What rush hour there is in Hua Hin can often be avoided, depending on destination.

User avatar
Bristolian
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3131
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:38 pm
Location: Hua Hin & Bangkok

Re: Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by Bristolian » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:43 am

I should have perhaps also mentioned that I live in soi 6 HH and therefore do not need to face any traffic in HH either. As for rush hour in Cha Am, as hhinner says "what rush hour?"
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

User avatar
jumusman
Professional
Professional
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Re: Time of day for easiest journey BKK/HH (also back)?

Post by jumusman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:20 pm

Bristolian wrote:I should have perhaps also mentioned that I live in soi 6 HH and therefore do not need to face any traffic in HH either. As for rush hour in Cha Am, as hhinner says "what rush hour?"

What I mean't was just depending on what time of day you are going through Cha Am there can be a bottleneck at the main intersection in Cha Am. This is created by 2 things

1. Thais from BKK in town for the weekend driving at 5mph not knowing if they should turn left to find their hotel for the weekend or keep going straight.

2. Backed up traffic from Thais who are continuing on to Hua Hin for the weekend that have to wait for the Cha Am crowd to figure out where the ***** they are actually going.

I apologize Bristolian, yes if you are going from the outskirts of BKK to the outskirts of Hua Hin that would be possible. I take the taxi from a hotel on Sukumvit usually to my apartment across the street from Market Village so there is a little traffic on both sides that I deal with that you don't have to. That makes all the difference...
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bamboo Grove and 8 guests