How to find the Victory Monument minivans

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PeteC

How to find the Victory Monument minivans

Post by PeteC »

....."The vans which for decades had converged on the monument have been rerouted to three the capital’s three bus terminals: northern (north, northeastern and central provinces), eastern (eastern provinces) and southern (western and southern provinces).".......

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/tran ... eyre-gone/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: HOW TO FIND THE VICTORY MONUMENT VANS......

Post by oakdale160 »

It was so convenient as the HH minibusses went from right under the Skytrain stop--Where are they going from now. Southern--that is NOT easy to get to .One more reason to take the Airport VIP bus.
buksida

Re: How to find the Victory Monument minivans

Post by buksida »

Van services relocate to 3 bus terminals
Over 4,000 inter-provincial vans were relocated from Victory Monument and the BTS Skytrain stop in Chatuchak to the city's three bus terminals.

Deputy Transport Minister Ormsin Chivapruck said Tuesday the relocation received full cooperation from van operators and drivers who brought their vehicles to park at the terminals: Mor Chit 2 (for the North and the Northeast), Sai Tai Mai (for the South) and Ekamai (for the East) bus terminals.

The move came after a number of vans were parking in busy spots often without permission, causing traffic congestion and snarl-ups.

Aside from Mr Ormsin, the relocation effort was also inspected by Land Transport Department director-general Sanit Promwong, Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) board chairman Pol Gen Aek Angsananont and executives from Transport Co Ltd. Mr Ormsin said no problems were reported during the relocation as the ministry has been working on the transition plan with the police and military for some time.

He said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha also stressed the move would not affect commuters and travellers.

Shuttle buses, provided by the BMTA, are also available to transport passengers to the three bus terminals free of charge.

The shuttle buses will run from Victory Monument to Sai Tai Mai, 4.30am-8.30pm; from Victory Monument to Mor Chit 2, 5.30am-8.30pm; and from the Chatuchak BTS Skytrain stop to Mor Chit 2, 05.30am-8.30pm.

The frequency of the shuttle bus service will be adjusted according to demand from passengers.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -terminals
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:He said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha also stressed the move would not affect commuters and travellers.

Shuttle buses, provided by the BMTA, are also available to transport passengers to the three bus terminals free of charge.

The shuttle buses will run from Victory Monument to Sai Tai Mai, 4.30am-8.30pm; from Victory Monument to Mor Chit 2, 5.30am-8.30pm; and from the Chatuchak BTS Skytrain stop to Mor Chit 2, 05.30am-8.30pm.

The frequency of the shuttle bus service will be adjusted according to demand from passengers.
I thought it was sounding like the demise of the mini bus service until I read the above. Well done guys for thinking it through.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Sai Tai Mai to Victory Monument is a long way to get through Bangkok traffic.
kRnXqfgcPW4Rz7hLxvkj
Novice
Novice

Post by kRnXqfgcPW4Rz7hLxvkj »

I am not sure if that was a good idea to dislocate minivans from the victory monument, yet for some reason I do understand it. Yet, with my tiny experience of Thai busses, they are generally doing very well, after you know how they work. But, that is the case for all the minivans I have seen and used around the world before. That is, in a way, also the point in them, since the locals and the ones who use them daily or just frequently, they quite quickly know where, what and when. Still I trust the good service attitude, eg. when next time going to Bangkok, I am sure they will advice me on where they depart back and how to get there easily. I would not be surprised if they had some creative solution as well, for the sake of customer service.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Knowing how things are in Thai, I would not be surprised if over the next year they slowly move back to VM area.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

kRnXqfgcPW4Rz7hLxvkj wrote:I am not sure if that was a good idea to dislocate minivans from the victory monument, yet for some reason I do understand it. Yet, with my tiny experience of Thai busses, they are generally doing very well, after you know how they work. But, that is the case for all the minivans I have seen and used around the world before. That is, in a way, also the point in them, since the locals and the ones who use them daily or just frequently, they quite quickly know where, what and when. Still I trust the good service attitude, eg. when next time going to Bangkok, I am sure they will advice me on where they depart back and how to get there easily. I would not be surprised if they had some creative solution as well, for the sake of customer service.
I am intrigued with your user name - any particular reason?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Passenger van operators want to return to Victory Monument
Operators of inter-provincial passenger van service have petitioned Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha asking for their vehicles to be relocated back to the Victory Monument, claiming that both the operators and passengers have been affected by the change of the parking site.

In a petition to the prime minister, Mr Boonsong Srisakul, acting president of the Association of Inter-Provincial Passenger Van Business, claimed that several passengers who would have to do some business or to visit hospitals around the Victory Monument found it very inconvenient to get off at one of the three bus terminals designated as the parking lots for the vans.

He claimed that van operators themselves had also been affected by a drop in passengers using their service after they were forced to park at one of the three bus terminals.

He also claimed that the space at the bus terminals was too small and not convenient for van operators.

Passenger van operators are allowed to use space at the three designated bus terminals without any charge for a certain period of time after which they will have to pay rental fees for the use of the space.

Mr Boonsong suggested that, in order to solve the problem for the operators as well as the passengers, they should be relocated back to Victory Monument under the expressway.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/passen ... -monument/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
joelle
Legend
Legend

going to bangkok

Post by joelle »

as the minivans do not go to Victory anymore what is the easiest and quickest way to go to Bangkok nowadays ?
would a minivan stop near a BTS station ??