Book Thai Train Tickets Online Again

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Book Thai Train Tickets Online Again

Post by Big Boy »

Hustling to the railway station to buy train tickets – an oddity in the 4G era – will soon end with the reintroduction of the state railway’s online booking system.

Starting on Wednesday, passengers will again be able to book and buy train tickets from two hours up to 60 days before departure time. Printing physical tickets is still required as the State Railway of Thailand said it will not accept those shown on smartphone screens.

The website www.thairailwayticket.com launched in 2009 before being taken offline a year later, relaunched for awhile, and then shut down in 2013 when the service operator’s contract expired.

Eight years after first launching, it’s now being revived under the government’s technology-driven “Thailand 4.0” campaign, railway governor Wutthichat Kalayanamit said Monday.

The service is available in Thai or English. To book a ticket, sign up at www.thairailwayticket.com (available Wednesday) or www.railway.co.th. Users can buy four tickets per booking. Booking fees vary from 20 baht to 40 baht per seat depending on class.

Full story: Khaosod English
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Book Thai Train Tickets Online Again

Post by Nereus »

The website www.thairailwayticket.com launched in 2009 before being taken offline a year later, relaunched for awhile, and then shut down in 2013 when the service operator’s contract expired.
I guess the "service operator" was not providing enough brown envelops. Probably the same reason the immigration website is offline. :twisted:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just had a look around one of the links, and it looks hopeless. Maybe better if you register/log on.

The easy user guide helps https://www.thairailwayticket.com/eTSRT/FAQ.aspx . However, the requirement for a credit card, means I'd go to the station with cash anyway.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

One minor advantage I can see of using the online service, if it actually works, is that tickets printed at the station clearly state that they can't be replaced in event of loss. With electronically generated tickets you could just print them off again if you misplace them.

I'm doing a train trip next month, so I might give it a go.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I booked tickets online today. I signed up to the site yesterday and began the process, but I didn't have the passport numbers for all passengers so I had to come back today. One oddity when trying to log back in, after clicking the "login" button, Firefox reported that the page needed to be reloaded and data resent. Doing this logged me straight back out, and Firefox continually presented the same dialog box until I finally gave up and pressed cancel. It appears that the correct thing to do is click 'cancel' on the first attempt, and then click the "book tickets" link again to bring the booking page up.

Once I was logged in it was pretty plain sailing. You choose pickup, destinations and travel date and you are presented with all the trains running on that day. After selecting the train you want you are presented with a list of carriages and the type of seats they have available (class and air-con status, seat or berth) and at what price. You can then choose either manual or automatic seat selection. I chose manual to ensure that all of us got lower berths. The final step is to pay with your credit or debit card, after which the tickets appear in the "Ticket History" section of the site, ready to print.