Tourists warned of jellyfish on Trang, Krabi beaches

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PeteC

Tourists warned of jellyfish on Trang, Krabi beaches

Post by PeteC »

Tourists should be careful when swimming at beaches in Trang and Krabi as venomous box jellyfish have been spotted there, the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources warned on Saturday.

The department said in a statement that the Chiropsoides buitendijki marine species have been spotted in the sea at Klong Dao beach in Krabi province with a concentration of 12 jellyfish per 100 square metres, and at the Si Kao beach in Trang province with 14 jellyfish per 14 square metres.

The department advised tourists stung by the jellyfish to wash the wound with vinegar for at least 30 seconds.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/br ... s/30317737
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
deepee
Guru
Guru

Re: Tourists warned of jellyfish on Trang, Krabi beaches

Post by deepee »

wow Pete,
based on those concentrations of jelly fish per square metre a swimmer would have no chance but to be stung you would think.
Always amazes me as to why we never hear of local fishermen being seriously stung/killed by these critters when you see so many of them in the water with their nets.
Complexity is so simply overrated
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I go kayaking off the beach here in Bang Saphan and during jellyfish season they are everywhere. All different types, and sizes, but I can agree with these figures!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

deepee wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:56 pm Always amazes me as to why we never hear of local fishermen being seriously stung/killed by these critters when you see so many of them in the water with their nets.
Shh........if it's not in the Thai news, it never happened..........Image
Early Sting Reports

Research was conducted in small villages around the Andaman Sea, west Thailand, by Williamson and Hartwick on August 10, 1985.17 Local fishermen recognized chirodropids and their stings when shown photos, and associated them with the hot, still weather and calm water of “summer”; many admitted to stings but did not know of deaths.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 390.x/full