A Dog Dying in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

A Dog Dying in Thailand

Post by Homer »

A soi dog is dying. She's an old dog. Got hit by a car. Appears to have a broken hip. Crawled under a truck and hasn't come out. Bares teeth and growls at any dog who dares come near. Gives no sign of recognizing any people she's known for years. I'd know what to do if I were in the US. One call to animal control and she'd be put down. But we're in a Buddhist country, so I doubt an option leading to that end exists. Does it?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: A Dog Dying in Thailand

Post by richard »

I doubt it. Thais tend to let a winged or sick animal die even if it takes 3 or 4 days. The usual excuse is 'we only kill to eat' as Buddha tells us
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Next door neighbour's dog was injured beyond repair (very old dog). It was screaming on a regular basis, making me quite tearful to the extent I had to do something.

It was also a Sunday, and most vets weren't interested. I eventually tried The Pet Hospital - 032 530213. They sent a vet out, and within minutes the poor animal was out of its misery. I think the Sunday call out cost 1500, which I was willing to pay, but my neighbour came home, thanked us and paid herself.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Thanks for the replies. It's no longer an issue. She passed on quietly.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

So what happened to the Thai eating dogs posts? 'Modded' as too controversial?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, we try not to stymie discussion, just ask that you don't hijack other threads to do so.

Moved to the Dog Meat Trade in Thailand thread

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=28389
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

The only way to get some humane treatment for the dog is to take it to a vet. The vets here, generally, love animals so will put it down to stop its pain.

:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Homer wrote:A soi dog is dying. She's an old dog. Got hit by a car. Appears to have a broken hip. Crawled under a truck and hasn't come out. Bares teeth and growls at any dog who dares come near. Gives no sign of recognizing any people she's known for years. I'd know what to do if I were in the US. One call to animal control and she'd be put down. But we're in a Buddhist country, so I doubt an option leading to that end exists. Does it?
Did you get the problem resolved Homer?

Points 48; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Homer wrote:Thanks for the replies. It's no longer an issue. She passed on quietly.
I guess so, BB.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks Homer.

Points 48; Position 18
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

HHTel wrote:
Homer wrote:Thanks for the replies. It's no longer an issue. She passed on quietly.
I guess so, BB.
Oops, didn't realise the feral animal had passed on already when i posted before :cheers:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Well, the dog is dead so no further discussion needed really, but for those who are interested......

The whole "Thais only kill to eat" thing is nowhere near the truth, and the vets here are quite happy to put a dog down, but they do of course expect to be paid.

Just last week a soi dog got hit by a car about 100 meters away from our home. My FIL picked it up and put it under a tree, and he proudly informed everyone that it would die because of its injuries. A friend who was visiting me immediately insisted on getting the dog to a vet, so off we went to the vet on the klong road, just near the traffic lights. Once there, they examined the dog and did some tests. The vet then informed us that the dog had severe internal injuries as well as distemper, and then she asked if we want to have it treated or put down. My friend chose the latter option. The whole thing cost 2500 baht.

So, do Thais allow a dog to suffer for days because of their religious beliefs? I'm afraid the answer is no. They won't get a dog put down because they either can't or they won't pay for it.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact