THAI EDUCATION SYSTEM ! HELP!

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Neil Burty

THAI EDUCATION SYSTEM ! HELP!

Post by Neil Burty »

My wife's daughter is coming to UK this year but i cannot seem to tie down when exaclty she finishes high school? She is currently 14 years old.

Could someone avail me of this info....

1) What age do Thai's begin school ?
2) What age to go they go from junior to senior ?
3) What age do they finish senior school ?
4) What date does the Thai school year begin/end

I would really appreciate any help....

thx

Burty :cheers:
Last edited by Neil Burty on Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** WE HATE PALACE ***
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

a. Thais usually start their primary school (grades P1-P6) at the age of 7. Primary school lasts 6 years so
b. they are about 12-13 when they go (those who can afford it, compulsory education is 6 years at the moment) to secondary school. Secondary school is divided into two parts grades M1-M3 (junior level) and M4-M6 (senior level). After the M3 level some students go to vocational collages as well.
c. So all together the education is 12 years (provided a child goes through the whole system) although there are possibilities to take an examination which is called Karnsyksa nok (non-formal education) and students can thus actually finish their school faster or slower than the normal school years would indicate.
d. The school year starts in May and the first semester is over by early October which is usually a holiday month. Second semester starts in November and lasts until early March. In international schools the school year can vary according to their system (i.e. British, American etc.).
Neil Burty

THANK YOU!

Post by Neil Burty »

Bamboo, Thank you for that!

Can they finish at the M3 level?

If so, would it be very detrimental to her overall education, bearing in mind she would be here, in the UK, learning English and making some money......

(it sounds like it would be like leaving an English Secondary, half way through!) :?
*** WE HATE PALACE ***
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Yes, they can and many of them actually do finish at M3 level and already before that after P6 level, which is the end of the compalsory education. I'm sure it's possible to carry on to study in England at whatsoever level. They must have courses for immigrants so that they can reach a required level of English first. This happens in most EU countries, I should think.