Age difference

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
britwoman
Novice
Novice

Age difference

Post by britwoman »

would be interested to learn of the average age difference between the Thai girls and their farang boyfriends/husbands
larry70dj

Post by larry70dj »

Britwoman, welcome to the forum. You have asked an unanswerable question in your first post. Maybe, this is why you are called britwoman.
britwoman
Novice
Novice

age difference

Post by britwoman »

Surely not unanswerable, recent article in Daily Mail reported that average age of single male travellers (holidaymakers) to Thailand was over 40 years old. Perhaps can ask question another way - are the majority of males posting on here about their relationships with Thai girls over 40.
larry70dj

Post by larry70dj »

Oh no, britwoman reads the Daily Mail.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

I too welcome britwoman to the forum! I was going to post the response 'does age really matter?' but then realised that it was even more of a cliche than the idea of the archetypal 'britwoman' asking the original question in the thread. Great name by the way - 'britwoman.' I have a mental picture of you in a union flag catsuit fighting for truth, justice and wimmin-kind. Do you need a side-kick? I could be 'fat-boy!' Has kind of a ring to it don't you think... britwoman and fat boy save Thailand! :wink:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

britwoman, I'll tell you my story. I came to live in Thailand when I was 29 years old (before that I had lived in China and Hong Kong for about 9 months and travelled elsewhere in Asia for about 3). Since then (this was in 1989) I have aged (as unfortunately or fortunately happens to all of us)and I am now well over 40 and I have had relationships with only Thais since I came here. I have now a Thai common law wife who is 9 years younger than I, thus making her 36 this year and we have two daughters aged 7. So the answers to your question our age difference is 9 years and I am over forty. Now, does that make me an average male tourist to Thailand?
Rider
Ace
Ace

Sugar Daddy Story..

Post by Rider »

I think britwoman has that 'go-getter' type image of 1980s thatcherite women!

In answer to your question BritWoman.
IMO the age difference does vary a little. I think judging by friends I know and have seen, heard about etc. Its horses for courses but IN General the groove was/is this:
Its the boom town 1990s, the golden age had dawned for us in thailand! The toxin man (current PM) was nowhere in sight and we all had bulging bank accounts ready to explode! The sugar daddies(old dudes, fully loaded, in their 50s+) rolled into town (town being BKK, Pattaya, Phuket) picked up some young babe 20s, late 20s and rediscovered their youth, partied like a rock-star, sowed wild oates, hey go get 'em sugar daddy! :D
Inevitably the good times came to grinding halt (in some cases explosion!)a good number of the sugar daddies became broke/stolen from/divorced and subsequently broke. Sugar Daddy gone! :cry:

So nowadays the trend seems to be that the expats over in thailand seem to prefer women in their late twenties and thirties over the young hotties. This is wise as some of the younger girls tend to be unpredictable as well as unstable!!! :twisted:
You do get some staggering age differences but I think that the daily mail story has gathered its intel from old sources and the truth is its not quite as wide an age difference as you may think.

So Britwoman are you thinking of venturing over to our little paradise and sampling some exotic local hospitality? I might be able to recommend somewhere.... :idea: :D
buksida

Re: Age difference

Post by buksida »

britwoman wrote:would be interested to learn of the average age difference between the Thai girls and their farang boyfriends/husbands
Welcome to the board. A very good question and I'm sure you'll get a lot of response. Before I attempt to answer can I ask why you're interested in this?

In general age differences in Asia are not as important or socially unacceptable as they are in the west, you often see older Thai men with younger women so its not just the farangs. There may be more to the relationship than meets the eye but thats another topic entirely.

In my case I am 30 and my wife is 29 so I guess I don't fit in the mould either. :cheers:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
britwoman
Novice
Novice

Age difference

Post by britwoman »

I have visited Hua Hin, a nice holiday too - however I did get the impression that there were an awful lot of middle aged/old men there 'living the dream', a sweet little Thai girl on their arm - to be honest, naively I was quite shocked :oops: The Daily Mail article ran along the same line as my thoughts. I am glad to hear from you guys that it isnt quite how it is portrayed and genuine long term relationships can happen - its just the vision of a shed load of lecherous old guys on their 2 week package holiday is pretty off putting to anyone considering a 'normal' family holiday. Maybe they just look the part though and in reality they are all happy family men enjoying a night out with their partner :)
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Don't be surprised if some of those 'younger' girls are actually older than the men they are with - they just look younger! In my case I did think my girlfriend, as she was then, was in her early twenties but she turned out to be ten years older :shock: and actually 4 years older than me! Doh!! Now, where's my lycra?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

And don't be surprised if some of the girls are boys in disguise. Usually better looking than most girls as well. LMAO!! Pete
britwoman
Novice
Novice

age difference

Post by britwoman »

Really, they do all look very young. The guys I came across were definitely much older!!!!! unless they had lived very hard lives.
thailooper

Post by thailooper »

Exactly Britwoman - we've had hard lives !!

And why come to Thailand ?

You don't see too many foreigners coming to the west looking for female companionship - why ?

In my humble opinion, western ladies (sorry for generalising !) can be very demanding, materialistic and costly to maintain !!

Maybe it's their Buddhist upbringing, but many Thai ladies are happy with a simple life - they appreciate some of the "luxuries" that we farangs can provide - like a £3 meal in a nice restaurant, a £3 visit to a beauty salon for a makeover that doesn't necessitate major surgery, a £3 massage from one of her friends - that's one happy lady and I haven't even spent a tenner yet !!

I agree that, in general, there is an age difference but it should not be viewed as "old westerners" taking advantage of young Thai ladies. These ladies prefer older man because we are more likely to show them the respect they deserve and less likely to run off with someone else (like their ex-husbands did - the one's who weren't killed in the Thai army that is !!). The fact that older men are likely to have more money that the younger ones is immaterial ( :roll: !).

If you want me to argue the other side of the coin, I can do that too - BUT I'M HAPPY with my beautiful 28 year old lady (not a bar lady I might add) and I can give her the "luxuries" that, up to two years ago, she could only dream of.

Finally, if you really want to see age difference and some really sick sh*t, go to Boystown in Pattaya - maybe then you'll see that we oldies (mid forties) aren't that bad !!
shakin' boxcar joe

Post by shakin' boxcar joe »

however I did get the impression that there were an awful lot of middle aged/old men there 'living the dream', a sweet little Thai girl on their arm - to be honest, naively I was quite shocked
welcome to the forum britwoman.

you may indeed see lots of older guys in thailand with younger local women as wives , girlfriends ,perhaps even paid by the day or night type of girlfriends , and good luck to them and good luck to the girls they are with.

if they are both happy with the marriage , relationship or arrangement , if their dreams have become reality , then what seems to be the problem ??

life in blighty is pretty miserable for most , what with the weather , the taxes , the prices , the paperwork , the crime , the hospitals , tony blair and his crusade to right all wrongs.

i have nothing but admiration for anyone who has had dreams and done something to try and turn those dreams into reality.

good luck to all those oldsters and not so oldsters who have got a young girl on their arms and a smile on their face.

in blighty you would be under arrest or on the front pages of the daily mail.

so come on britwomen........ what is the problem.......do tell.

and britwoman.......you give credence to the right wing scaremongering and net curtain twitchings of the daily mail ????

now i'm shocked.
shakin' boxcar joe.
larry70dj

Post by larry70dj »

Britwoman, now you have posted a little more on yourself and I feel a bit less threatened by your question, I feel comfortable to try to give a sensible answer. Its funny how the irony of you calling yourself britwoman on a forum where many members are persuing a differernt lifestyle after failed relationships with British woman, may have been lost on you. Rather like me joining a forum of Dail Mail readers and calling myself sextourist (joke).

My story is this, I am 37 and a company director in the entertainment industry. I live in a nice house in surburbia and drive a new Mercxedes Benz. Dail Mail material! However, a few years ago, I totaly gave up trying to find a perfect partner in the West and made a concious decision to have a major change of lifestyle. Now I fit into your catergory of the lecherous old guy (37?) trying to cram as many short term sexual encounters into two weeks as I can.

I am very kind and generous to the girls in Thailand.I practice safe sex. I have taken time and effort to learn the local language and more about the customs and traditions of Thailand. The bar girl scene is totally different to going with a hooker in the West, which I have done once and never again.The girls are not supporting drug and drink habbits Most of the girls are just in it for the money so they can send it back to support their family in poorer rural parts of Thailand. Some girls are genuinly looking for a older Western husband, the kind of girl that thailooper has outlined in his post.It has to be said that there are girls who are just horny as hell and do actually enjoy all the sex.

I have never had a Thai girlfriend and never been married. Like boxcar joe, I just have fun, lots of it. As far as the age gap is concerned, I tend to agree with Rider, the young girls under 20 are a bit of a gamble. I prefer to be around girls in their twenties. Interestingly, the last 3 girls I have had short flings with in the UK were 17, 19 and 18 years old respectivly. I did not instigate these encounters, I can't be bothered anymore. So I do still have it. Just to p**s off all the blokes reading this, the 17yo has since gone on to model in FHM, the Daily Star and The Sun, yes I've sh***ed a page 3 girl HA HAHAHAHA. Isn't life bizzare.

Britwoman, you may not agree with my lifestyle, but I hope mine and other posts on this thread gice a balenced view of the scene. We can, however, agree on one thing. Hua Hin is a fantastic place and I hope you return to Thailand again.