When Soi Dog's Attack...

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: When Soi Dog's Attack...

Post by dtaai-maai »

Do we really have to go round this block yet again? Surely it's all been said several times already?
This is the way
ragthai
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ragthai »

usual suspect wrote:My wife's boy got a BB gun that had a 'repeater' setting..simply waited for the problem-dog to close-in and peppered it with about 50 (plastic) BBs..this gun HAD been modified to give more clout, and it was not quiet..job done..dog got the message
p.s. A cycling-friend of mine has a Tazer-Zapper..when on his cycle..if a dog flies out of it's yard with aggression..just the sound of the contacts arcing across at each other normally wards-off the mutt instantly.. no discomfort to the mangey-hound, but lesson-learnt & no teeth-marks in ya leg.
Where can I buy this gun ?
I would love to have one...
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

ragthai wrote:
usual suspect wrote:My wife's boy got a BB gun that had a 'repeater' setting..simply waited for the problem-dog to close-in and peppered it with about 50 (plastic) BBs..this gun HAD been modified to give more clout, and it was not quiet..job done..dog got the message
p.s. A cycling-friend of mine has a Tazer-Zapper..when on his cycle..if a dog flies out of it's yard with aggression..just the sound of the contacts arcing across at each other normally wards-off the mutt instantly.. no discomfort to the mangey-hound, but lesson-learnt & no teeth-marks in ya leg.
Where can I buy this gun ?
I would love to have one...
Does anybody else smell something??
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Eeeww, that was you was it Dannie Boy! The 'ol silent but violent prank amongst company is still fair game it seems.

In all fairness, some of these dogs can be a pleasant little friend near your house as long as you throw him/her a few treats now and then. This little fella below looked like he was knockin' on doggy heaven's door before I started throwing some scraps and now he's a picture of health... really happy for the wee lad - colourful little personality he has...

.. and as was expected with the 'handbag' accessory dogs, the owners soon got bored of them and threw them to the temple. Now, these things aren't bought cheap, but if you nip down to the temple there are many really beautiful little things around. I just feel so sorry for the poor princesses but am also happy to pick up a bargain. Little 'Cinderella' (below) is really coming into her own now after what must have been a horrible experience for her...

:D
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

GLCQuantum wrote:
Eeeww, that was you was it Dannie Boy! The 'ol silent but violent prank amongst company is still fair game it seems.

In all fairness, some of these dogs can be a pleasant little friend near your house as long as you throw him/her a few treats now and then. This little fella below looked like he was knockin' on doggy heaven's door before I started throwing some scraps and now he's a picture of health... really happy for the wee lad - colourful little personality he has...

.. and as was expected with the 'handbag' accessory dogs, the owners soon got bored of them and threw them to the temple. Now, these things aren't bought cheap, but if you nip down to the temple there are many really beautiful little things around. I just feel so sorry for the poor princesses but am also happy to pick up a bargain. Little 'Cinderella' (below) is really coming into her own now after what must have been a horrible experience for her...

:D

:lach:
How cute! I think Paris Hilton has one just like "Little Cinderella" :D They just fit into a Hermes handbag, just as you say :laugh:
sharpe77
Novice
Novice

Post by sharpe77 »

Just wanted to add my two pennies worth. I lived in Prachuap Khiri Khan for three months during the summer of 2013. In that time I had a lot of different experiences with Soi dogs. Mostly it was a mini (and not particularly exciting or eventful) war, there were about three main packs that I had a problem with, but there were individual dogs I got along fine with and there was one in particular who I'd consider a friend (helped that he'd adopted a human as his master, he chose him and also happened to be the biggest, toughest dog in town, he even "saved" me from a pack that were getting a bit too bold one night...god I love that dog, his name is Dang). I've been chased by big dogs in the native reserves of Canada, we're talking half husky/half wolf things, that are damn intimidating, had one stalking me when I was in a remote area that upon seeing that I knew he was there and my lifting my "walking stick" promptly vanished into the woods. Was surrounded another time for looking at one wrong I suppose, he called every dog on the reserve and only the timely showing up of my crew in a minivan saved me from having a particularly bad day (About half of them were circling me...).

But the dogs in Thailand...well first off, most of them are scrawny little things. Generally, the yell at them and make a quick movement towards them, if they start causing any trouble works, they're pretty cowardly and are definitely more full of bark than bite. They wouldn't pose much of a threat by themselves, but when one starts hating on the stranger walking into town, and then is shortly joined by three, five, or eight others, suddenly they don't seem so unimportant. I was told early on to carry a stick if I was walking around late at night, what isn't mentioned is that dogs being dogs, and somewhat intelligent animals, they remember you. If they didn't like you some night as you're leaving your mates bar, or the night market and making the four kilometer walk back to your riverhouse, then they won't like you a few days later in broad daylight. For the first month I'm sure I was quite comical, the farang with the quarterstaff, but after a while I did away with the staff. Instead if I'd had a few too many Singha's or Changs if I was strapped for cash, I'd chase them as much as they chased me. It was a very mutual loathing. The pack that lived in the monastery at the foot of Monkey mountain were the worst.

One particularly bad night, I'd drunk too much, first at one friends bar and then the others (yeah my best friends in Thailand, are a scottish bar owner and a thai bar owner), and an event in my relatively recent past that I'll not describe right now, had me feeling particularly dark and self destructive. I went to the worst pack I knew (mostly because the temple is on the way home) and having ranted at the dogs that were barking at me from all sides, threw down my bike (sorry Maggie) and lay down in the middle of the temple area in the dark with dogs that had hated me for a couple of months, surrounding me. And they did nothing. Well other than snarl and bark from all sides. I'm sure if I'd been sober I'd have been scared, but then if I'd been sober I wouldn't have been in that situation to begin with (I usually went around Monkey mountain from the other side specifically to avoid that pack). I just lay there in the dark in a strange country, surrounded by snarling dogs that didn't like me and then got up and got on my bike. Of course I then hit a rock, fell against a curb and fractured my skull but that's a whole other story.

I guess my point is this. The dogs I encountered in a rather rural area of Thailand were yippy and snappy, but ultimately not dangerous in the slightest. Overreacting to them probably made them worse, but even then...when I was at their mercy, they really didn't want anything more than for the crazy farang to piss off...
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

sharpe77 wrote:Just wanted to add my two pennies worth.
Blimey, that was at least a shilling's worth!

Welcome to the forum. You sound completely bonkers - should fit in well... :laugh:
This is the way
sharpe77
Novice
Novice

Post by sharpe77 »

haw...cheers :)
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

You're Canadian so we can make allowances :duck: :cheers:

My best friend is a Newfie but I never believe his shit about cuddling polar bears :thumb:

Do you guys go to school?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
albaker

Post by albaker »

Lung Per wrote:A dead stray dog is a good stray dog.
Hear Hear
daddee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by daddee »

in my 8 trips to Thailand I have met many people who have been bitten by dogs, and even cats... I don't want to have to go through the rabies shot process...

one poster here mentioned just bending over and pretending to pick up a rock will ward off most of these wild dogs, I have heard this before...

I think this and carrying a nice stick or old golf club will be my procedure...
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I actually believe the average Soi dog is quite intelligent, and the understanding of what a rock or stick can do seems to be in bred to all of them from a very early age.

I wouldn't dream of hitting our dogs with a stick, but just the sight of a stick being raised makes them cower.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
ChichoSpit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ChichoSpit »

M A C H E T E K I L L S
:naughty:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

albaker wrote:
Lung Per wrote:A dead stray dog is a good stray dog.
Hear Hear
Apparently Thailand has had an Animal Protection act since November:

Man surrenders after being charged with killing dog 'without reason'
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 52478.html

"Yesterday, Wicha was charged with killing an animal without any reason under the 2014 animal protection law, as well as possessing and using a weapon in a community as per the law on weapons."
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

The soi dogs in Russia even turn to vandalism. :D
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.