Bookship drops anchor in Bangkok

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

Bookship drops anchor in Bangkok

Post by PeteC »

Looks like it could be fun, and definitely unique if anyone in Bangkok up until March 11. Mods, please post entire article as I can't.....Pete :cheers:

"The world's largest floating library, the Logos Hope, has moored in Bangkok, welcoming visitors and selling books until March 11."

"Docked at the Klong Toei port, the "bookship" carries around 5,000 titles - more than 500,000 volumes - covering a wide range of subjects, including science, information technology, sport, hobbies, cooking, the arts, children's and family reading as well as a large... ..."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 00539.html
30200539-01_big.jpg
[Mod Edit] ......../ collection of publications on Christianity. The ship also has Thai books.

The Logos Hope is open daily from 10am to 9.30pm Tuesdays to Saturdays and from 2 to 9.30pm on Sundays and Mondays. The entry fee is Bt20. Children under 12 get in free but must be accompanied by an adult.

Operated by the German non-profit GBA (Good Books for All) Ships, project director Lloyd Nicholas said the Logos Hope's mission is to bring knowledge, assistance and hope to people worldwide.

Education Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana presided over the opening ceremony yesterday.

Also on hand was Suppanit Manajitt, senior executive vice president of the Mitr Phol Group, which is supporting the Logos Hope's visit in conjunction with Bangkok being selected as the World Book Capital this year by Unesco.

Logos Hope was built in 1973 and first served as a car ferry. It was was bought by GBA in 2004, converted into a "bookship" and has since visited more than 43 countries and 68 ports, selling some 3 million books and welcoming more than 2.6 million visitors.

Before the Logos Hope, three ships had carried book fairs, including the Logos, the Doulos and the Logos II. The Doulos docked at Klong Toei in 2009.

The crew of the Logos Hope numbers around 400 volunteers, hailing from 45 countries, and includes young children and teenagers. Among the hands are five Thais.

Wasana Buakham, former officer, said she joined the crew to be of service and out of devotion to Jesus Christ.

"This ship is not just a bookshop - it is a catalogue of international experiences waiting to be shared with others," Wasana said

Narong Srisakunphaet came aboard six months ago, after he graduated from Chulalongkorn University. He was a church volunteer and wanted to further extend a helping hand.

"I work in the bookshop because that is the face of the ship and the best chance to meet other people," Narong said.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Bookship drops anchor in Bangkok

Post by PeteC »

The ship is coming back again per below:

A floating book fair will dock in Bangkok for one month beginning Friday, February 7.

The “Logos Hope,” which carries a book fair, cafe and stage for showcasing cultural diversity is scheduled at stop at Klong Toey port.

Operated by “Good Books for All,” a German Christian charity the Logos Hope will float through six Asian countries this year until September for locals to shop book selections, watch cultural performances or interact with friendly volunteer crew members from 50 countries.

Logos HOPE

Where: Klong Toey port

When: Feb. 7 - Mar. 3 (Tuesday - Sunday, 1pm - 9pm)

Admission: THB20 for adults. Children under 12 enter for free

Facebook: Logos HOPE visits Bangkok

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/bo ... g-bookshop
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caducus

Post by caducus »

Having been housebound and recovering from an accident, I was looking forward to my last visit to "Logos Hope" a year or so ago. I had read almost everything on my bookshelves and was armed with a lengthy book-list. I returned disappointed and empty-handed. What is not mentioned in the publicity is that the majority of the books are 'Christian' literature and the rest are coffee-table or children's books. There is a coffee-shop on board and I rewarded myself and partner with a couple of cappucinos and brownies (hash-free, of course). We were soon joined by a young 'crew-member', who launched into a convoluted sermon. I was grateful for being informed that I was going to hell - but could still make amends, as there is a rigid class system down below, and if I led an exemplary life I might aspire to be one of the devil's bourgeoisie.
I explained to my interlocuter that she was fortunate to be moored within a few minutes walk of the Klong Toey slum, where a true Christian by the name of Father Joe and his Mercy Centre were bringing a little light to the blighted lives of the slum-people. I invited my new friend to visit the Mercy Centre, but she decined my offer and went to confront someone at another table.

Stay away from the boat unless you are looking to be saved!
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

christian lit!! will give it a miss
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

caducus wrote:Stay away from the boat unless you are looking to be saved!
Your description fits my experience in 2009 when the Doulos visited Cebu. Then it was worth it for a close look at a passenger ship built in 1914. No reason to go now, they got rid of that ship.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Having had a look at that picture, all I can see is 'The Guinness Book of Records' (who doesn't like to scan through that!), some good read about the Chinese and an educational book on flags. I can even spot a little 'Travel' section over in the far left.
What is not mentioned in the publicity is that the majority of the books are 'Christian' literature and the rest are coffee-table or children's books.
If you haven't got photos, it didn't happen. :wink:

Joking aside, I did enjoy your post 'caducus', and if there was indeed 'preacher pressure' on board, I wouldn't have enjoyed myself either. I don't appreciate being 'told' what to do. I do appreciate suggestions, though.

:cheers: