Thai prisons.

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Re: Thai prisons.

Post by Lung Per »

Khundon1975 wrote:If you think Thai prisons are bad, then think again. Hundreds of kids in the Yemen are on death row for crimes they committed when under 15 years of age.

Many are executed every year, most after many years of incarceration.
And rightfully so, I should hope.

8)
A friend is only one click away
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lung Per wrote:
Khundon1975 wrote:If you think Thai prisons are bad, then think again. Hundreds of kids in the Yemen are on death row for crimes they committed when under 15 years of age.

Many are executed every year, most after many years of incarceration.
And rightfully so, I should hope.

8)
Unnecessary comment I think, lots of these "children" (under 15's cannot be classified as adults) have probably either not committed a crime or certainly not one where they would receive a long sentence if committed in a civilised country, with a proper judicial system.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

To put things in perspective, some of the Yemeni Capital Punishment crimes include adultery, sexual misconduct, prostitution and homosexuality. The Yemen has one of the highest execution rates in the world. Capital punishment is typically carried out by shooting, although stoning remains a legally viable option for charges of adultery.

Hardly comparable to Thailand
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

sargeant wrote:Nanyang i am still trying to think of a reason as to why/what it is that a jail warder could see or do that would warrant them to sign the OSA
Anything ILLEGAL NULLIFIES the OSA anyway as far as i know

genuine question i AM mystified i cannot think of anything legal
A simple answer Sargeant in that all Crown Servants are required to sign the Act prior to employment.
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

How do reach the conclusion that I am a "hand-wringing God-botherer"
The clue is in this snippet.
and if it`s true surely it shows a smidgin of humanitarianism, would you prefer thay stay in chains?
I would also conclude, from your various diatribes, that you are a member of the fairer sex.
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

sateeb wrote:Don’t ask me to comment further on this as I’m still bound by the Official Secrets Act.

Screwed: The Truth About Life as a Prison Officer - Wikipedia, the ...
en.wikipedia.org/.../Screwed:_The_Truth_About_Life_as_a_Prison_Offi...‎
Screwed: The Truth About Life as a Prison Officer is a non-fiction book written by ex-prison officer-turned-author Ronnie Thompson (a pseudonym

Is this author and ex screw being hounded down by the Govt for breaching the OSA...I think not!!!

Do you think that you are the only one on this Forum that has signed the OSA??..I think you will find there are many, myself included.

Another Walter Mitty
Whatever you're on it's affecting your brain.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

nanyang wrote:
How do reach the conclusion that I am a "hand-wringing God-botherer"
The clue is in this snippet.

You got me there Mr.MacKay
and if it`s true surely it shows a smidgin of humanitarianism, would you prefer thay stay in chains?
I would also conclude, from your various diatribes, that you are a member of the fairer sex.
Please quote my "various diatribes". Your conclusions are way off the mark Sherlock.
Obviously a prison officer`s job is not an easy one, and fair play to you for sticking at it for 30 years. I had several school friends who became prison officers, they finished their studies with no academic qualifications and were turned down by the police and armed services so I guess the Prison Service were willing to take all those attracted by a uniform.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

nanyang wrote:A simple answer Sargeant in that all Crown Servants are required to sign the Act prior to employment.
That's very true, but very few of us have anything to share that would cause the Govt. any discomfort. I suspect that many such abuses of the Act are actually welcomed.
Talk is cheap
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

A simple answer Sargeant in that all Crown Servants are required to sign the Act prior to employment
YUP agreed a very simple answer

Except it does not answer the question
you are quoting the OSA as a reason to NOT divulge something and i for the life of me cannot think of ANYTHING LEGAL that you could NOT inform us of.

So I am left presuming that you have been involved in something ILLEGAL

genuinely puzzled
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

sargeant wrote:
A simple answer Sargeant in that all Crown Servants are required to sign the Act prior to employment
YUP agreed a very simple answer

Except it does not answer the question
you are quoting the OSA as a reason to NOT divulge something and i for the life of me cannot think of ANYTHING LEGAL that you could NOT inform us of.

So I am left presuming that you have been involved in something ILLEGAL

genuinely puzzled
Not illegal but 'procedures' that the public are better off not knowing about.

AND THAT'S ALL YOU'RE GETTING FROM ME SO NO MORE QUESTIONS. 8)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:agree:

C'mon Sarge, you should know better than to ask somebody to broach matters covered by the OSA on a public forum, especially if they are out of their comfort zone. Please give nanyang and the OSA the respect they deserve, and if you really want know, use the PM system.

This thread is about Thai prisons, so :offtopic: please.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

BB i myself am still under the OSA as a squaddie and i can think of a large amount of information that i could not nor would I ever divulge it

but quote me
i for the life of me cannot think of ANYTHING LEGAL that you could NOT inform us of.
OK so its procedures that the public are better off not knowing about.

and i agree BB this is about THAI PRISONS and the removing of shackles Nanyang had his say and up to a point i can see where he is coming from but it leaves a hole when its

Now you lot listen to what i say but i cannot tell you why.--
To me if you cannot explain your point dont make it in the first place
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If nanyang believes he would be breaching the OSA, then we have to respect that on a public forum. Discussion is pointless. If you need to know more, contact him privately, and he may, or may not divulge his secrets.

Now :offtopic: PLEASE
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18