Police Set Ups Still Alive and Kicking

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Police Set Ups Still Alive and Kicking

Post by GLCQuantum »

Pleng wrote:You are so amazingly cool
Outstanding Pleng! :clap: How long did it take you to come up with that? :roll:
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

The point I was making is how you act while drinking yourself stupid and how you act with a small roll up.
I understood your point fully, but you are basing your argument on the presumption of breaking the law under the influence of alcohol which not everyone does, while you casually dismiss the clear cut case of breaking the law by possession or attempted purchase of illegal drugs.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Frank Hovis wrote:
The point I was making is how you act while drinking yourself stupid and how you act with a small roll up.
I understood your point fully, but you are basing your argument on the presumption of breaking the law under the influence of alcohol which not everyone does, while you casually dismiss the clear cut case of breaking the law by possession or attempted purchase of illegal drugs.
Anyone who has taken a birl girl after a night down town (something which I don't do) has broken the law just the same. I'm not saying everyone does, but there are a fair few that do.

Hands up those who have paid a bar fine before? :wink:

:cheers:
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

GLCQ, allow me to patronise you with an example you might expect to see in a school text book. Just for fun.

John and Jane both live on the same street, the speed limit on the road outside their houses is 80Km/h.
John owns a Honda Jazz, Jane owns a Lamborghini Aventador. They both need to take a trip to the shops to buy some apples. The shops are located 8Kms from their houses.
It takes Jane 6 minutes to get to the shops travelling at 80Km/h. John drives at 100Km/h to the shops and after travelling 6Km is stopped by the police for speeding.
In his defence, John points out to the officers that Jane's Aventador is capable of doing 250Km/h down the same stretch of road.
Given that petrol costs 45 baht a litre, how long will it be before John realises that what others are capable of doing wrong does not make his infringement of the law any less serious.
Please show all your working.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

:lach: :lach: :lach:

That's a cracker Frank

Spot on

GLCQ - for the record - if you come anywhere near my kids as a teacher I'd slap you round the face with an Arapaima 8)
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Frank
Lost i fear on the OP
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Post by bonnielass »

:laugh: :laugh:

I have never laughed so much on a Friday morning.
Thanks guys
Ye canny shove yer Grannie off a bus....
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Nice Frank, but I never said that it wasn't against the law. I know the possible (minor) consequences I may have sometimes. I was giving all the hypocrites on here a little chicken soup to digest. People who think that they have abided by the law here at all times, and that I should be locked away and made an example of.
Terry wrote: GLCQ - for the record - if you come anywhere near my kids as a teacher I'd slap you round the face with an Arapaima 8)
:wink:

Don't worry Terry. Your Hua Hin schools can't afford me. :mrgreen:

Anyway, this topic wasn't about the fact that I enjoy weed. It was about a police set up. You just need to keep your guard up when out and about and don't trust any old Joe from the street (my mistake). This could happen (and has happened) to some just because they pissed the wrong person off. If I didn't have the backing of people that were far higher up than the police in question, things could have been different.

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The fact of the matter is that if you become known as a drug user in SE Asia, you are open to this kind of police action as it's so easy to be caught buying the stuff by corrupt cops on the make. During my time in Indonesia I knew quite a few English language teachers who were enthusiastic cannabis users. One was hospitalised and deported after "resisting arrest" following an incident very similar to what you describe above and another served several years in jail for being caught with a small amount after offending the officers involved. (Probably by not having any money.)
Personally I think anyone who buys drugs on the streets in Thailand is taking a pretty large risk when you consider the potential consequences, particularly if you have any kind of investment in the country.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Very true Steve and the situation on Friday has indeed put me in my place about how things can go wrong very quickly. Sometimes you get too relaxed about things and get taken advantage of. The punishment for small amounts of grass is not much, but when there's the possibility of different drugs being planted on you, you have to take a step back and leave it.

My weed buying days in this area are unfortunately over for the time being until a safer solution is found.

I guess it's back on the prozac, xanax and valium (all legal somehow) for the time being. :wink: a joke

Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

GLCQuantum wrote:........Don't worry Terry. Your Hua Hin schools can't afford me. :mrgreen: .....
Don't worry GLCQ - you wouldn't get anywhere near my wallet :wink:
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

GLCQuantum wrote:Nice Frank, but I never said that it wasn't against the law. I know the possible (minor) consequences I may have sometimes. I was giving all the hypocrites on here a little chicken soup to digest. People who think that they have abided by the law here at all times, and that I should be locked away and made an example of.
Nobody's saying you should be locked away and made an example of.

The point is while picking up a bar girl may be against the law, how often do you hear about people getting into trouble with the police/spending time in prison for taking a girl upstairs/home whilst in Thailand?

Now how often do you hear stories of people getting into similar trouble while involved some way in drugs?

It's not about what's wrong or right; by being involved with drugs in Thailand you are putting yourself at risk. Now you've chosen to take that risk. Fine; that's your choice. Bragging about it on a forum is nothing short of daft though. Not to mention being surprised that a couple of bent coppers are going to take advantage of an easy target.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The punishment for small amounts of grass is not much,...
It's this bit that you have to be aware of:

Foreigners arrested anywhere in Thailand for even minor drug offences are now to be transported to Bangkok before deportation so their photographs and details can be added to a new blacklist,..
''People who go through the process can expect to be on the blacklist for five years or 10 years, depending on the seriousness of their crime,''
http://phuketwan.com/tourism/thailand-c ... kok-18117/
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

GLCQuantum wrote:Very true Steve and the situation on Friday has indeed put me in my place about how things can go wrong very quickly. Sometimes you get too relaxed about things and get taken advantage of. The punishment for small amounts of grass is not much, but when there's the possibility of different drugs being planted on you, you have to take a step back and leave it.

My weed buying days in this area are unfortunately over for the time being until a safer solution is found.

I guess it's back on the prozac, xanax and valium (all legal somehow) for the time being. :wink: a joke

This Austrian lad I got nattering too got stung by the police on Koh Samui bag of grass as you say not to serious class 5 offence still cost him 100,000 baht to avoid the monkey house.
If you want to smoke I would be a bit more discreet about it and maybe get a trusted Thai friend to go on a little shopping trip for you. :wink:

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Pleng wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:Nice Frank, but I never said that it wasn't against the law. I know the possible (minor) consequences I may have sometimes. I was giving all the hypocrites on here a little chicken soup to digest. People who think that they have abided by the law here at all times, and that I should be locked away and made an example of.
Nobody's saying you should be locked away and made an example of.

The point is while picking up a bar girl may be against the law, how often do you hear about people getting into trouble with the police/spending time in prison for taking a girl upstairs/home whilst in Thailand?

Now how often do you hear stories of people getting into similar trouble while involved some way in drugs?

It's not about what's wrong or right; by being involved with drugs in Thailand you are putting yourself at risk. Now you've chosen to take that risk. Fine; that's your choice. Bragging about it on a forum is nothing short of daft though. Not to mention being surprised that a couple of bent coppers are going to take advantage of an easy target.
Can't disagree with anything you've said there apart from the 'bragging' part. Prostitution is still against the law though so the people (who barfine girls) who say they never break the law are lying... regardless of if they are punished properly or not.

Anyway as I said... it was a wake up call for me. It certainly won't be happening again any time soon.

STEVE G wrote:
The punishment for small amounts of grass is not much,...
It's this bit that you have to be aware of:

Foreigners arrested anywhere in Thailand for even minor drug offences are now to be transported to Bangkok before deportation so their photographs and details can be added to a new blacklist,..
''People who go through the process can expect to be on the blacklist for five years or 10 years, depending on the seriousness of their crime,''
http://phuketwan.com/tourism/thailand-c ... kok-18117/
The people who I know who have been caught got the following punishments. I have also had a slap on the wrist once a fair while ago.

7 grams - 6000 baht (Thai Guy)
3 grams - 3000 baht (Westerner)
2 plants growing in garden - 8,000 baht (Thai guy)

This doesn't mean to say that, were someone to get caught, they wouldn't have to deal with what you have just posted. Just luck of the draw I guess. Best to try and keep away from it and hit the bottle like most others I suppose. :D