Like Somalia - Thailand is a Lawless Country

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Like Somalia - Thailand is a Lawless Country

Post by GLCQuantum »

Things in Thailand are extraordinary at the least. Despicable at the worst.

They like to call themselves a 'developing country' but in reality they are still a third world country in every aspect of the matter. There is no law here. No law that can't be broken. No sins that can't be paid for. No hitmen that can't be bought.

After coming here for two thirds of my life, it beggars belief that no progress has been made (by progress, I don't mean fancy shopping malls and waterparks) and the corruption shows no sign of giving it up.

If I was to give Thailand a percentage chance of rising from the ashes and turning things around, I'll give it 'none' percent.

I know full well that if I do anything wrong (against the 'laws' of the country) I can just pay money for my wrongdoings... and I have done that many times over. The people of Thailand know that too, and it's so ingrained into their culture that nothing is going to change soon without 'interference' (as they would call it) from an 'outsider' supporting country that's going to try and help them get into the 21st Century. If that offer arose it would be shot back with. "We know what we're doing here,this is OUR country".

So how in the hell DO the good people of Thailand change their ways? How DO they give themselves a place on the map that doesn't involve ping pong balls? How do they extract all the 'Great Unwashed' farang that feed their sex trade?

It's sad to sit back and watch it, (don't get me wrong I don't lose sleep over it) but there literally doesn't seem to be anything within sight that could change the channel.

One can only sit back and hope and I'll probably be dead before anything changes. But, as you asked :wink: , my changes would be...

* STOP this sex trade straight away and send all sex tourists packing - this would instantly allow the country a little more respect. It's also the classic 'Two birds one stone scenario'. The country would reap the benefits of no longer being the red light capital of the world, and also, the absence of the horrific smell from those beer swigging sex tourists would not only please the people of Thailand, but probably the neighbouring countries to boot. (a strong wind can carry their odour to timbuktoo)

* Install politicians who have studied abroad and are not so closed minded. They also will have lost that whole 'face' thing while abroad if they were there for some time.

* Spend a tenth of your year's 'free money' (you know, the money that is put aside for 'mega projects' where 10% goes into the project and 90% gets shared out into people's pockets) into building up the education system (especially in the North) and watch how the country will grow with a better education.

*Pay Thai police and teachers properly and train them properly (again outside help would be needed) so that poor teaching and police corruption could be a thing of the past.

* Start selling Stella to the locals instead of Lao Khao - a little less 'umph'.

* Gas chamber the Shiniwatra's :wink:

Just my opinion. :D

:cheers:
Last edited by GLCQuantum on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Like Somalia - Thailand is a Lawless Country

Post by richard »

GLCQ. are you living in a dream world?

You purportedly have been here for many years and imply you know their culture and speak their lingo. You teach I believe, but have you learnt anything about how things work here and how things will work here for a few more decades at least
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Fill me in then Richard.

With your reply, you evidently know more about matters than I do. I'm intrigued, so rather than shooting me down... build me up buttercup. :wink:

:cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

STOP this sex trade straight away and send all sex tourists packing
I'm for that, the place would be very quiet and I could probably find a place to park. :D :D :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Jack the lad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Jack the lad »

Hey GLCQ
Good to see somebody has some grey cells between their ears.
Richard says " living in a dream world " . " how things work here ".
a pathetic response to serious issues. do we accept getting mugged in the back streets of london/ new york , because
" that is how it is there" ?? I think many people need to read again and again your post before they realise
what you are saying. sad but true.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

How can Thailand possibly stop or even limit the sex trade, if this was stopped there would be hundreds of thousands with no income. It is an inherent aspect of life in Asia not only Thailand. Where there is poverty and people who will take advantage of the situation, both bar owners and customers it will always prevail.

GLC what you are proposing is 100% correct however we all know there is no way it will happen. Thailand in my opinion is going down the tubes day by day.

Corruption is spreading in the world even in western nations and no power on earth can stop it.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

120 billion euros a year in EU according to this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26014387
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

If can pick on one thing. Thais who have lived in the west for 20 yrs come back and within weeks are totally thai . Face is part of their nature, never goes.
And the sex trade is here to stay,getused to it
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

We've got 10-14 girls 'working' in our bar..& I can tell you that their 'income' supports her family back in Issan..
Her family may only have a few rai of land..has never produced enuf' rice to obtain any more rai, but having a good looking daughter willing to come to HH & do what she does to help her family..(yes & suppliment the family income for taking care of her child when the 'loving' husband has F'd **f long ago)..that girl deserves some credit..& not the usual hand-groping attention she gets from the farang that thinks it's OK to come in a bar..buy her a drink, then grope her in public..(you sad twat!).
Many forum members may have daughters of their own..well just think if working in a bar & having to cope with lecherous Farangs was your child's best option to keep her family 'afloat'..?? Nuff said!
OK, rant over.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The sad thing about the gropers is that is all they do. Buy her a 150b drink and grope her. Never take her for a 1200b ST . Just watch the trailer, not the main event. F++++++++ perverts
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

If I was to give Thailand a percentage chance of rising from the ashes and turning things around, I'll give it 'none' percent.
All these things come with wealth, Thailand has a GDP per capita of around $5,000 a year, Singapore something over $50,000. I would estimate that you need a figure somewhere above $20,000 to start rising above all these "banana republic" type activities that you want changed.
It's a laudable ambition but when Thailand has reached the level of Singapore, it'll be too expensive for most of us and perhaps also a trifle dull!
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

oakdale160 wrote: Thais who have lived in the west for 20 yrs come back and within weeks are totally thai , get used to it
You can take the .....................
In or out of Thailand they act like Thais.
I was tempted to say, 'they think and act like Thais', but soon realized that 'think' was not required.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Of course the returnees may be a special group. I know thais in the west who are totally integrated and would never return. Even some bg type wives will not come backy
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

When Thailand will be as "perfect" as our developed countries, I will go back home.
And people who compare Thailand with Somalia have never lived in Somalia, for sure !
Then, living in Hua Hin, Phuket or Pattaya is not really living in Thailand, is it ?
And the few farangs who can speak thai usually cannot read newspapers or have a real conversation with Thai people, so that they are not so well informed as they think.
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

GLCQuantum wrote: After coming here for two thirds of my life,
" since I moved to Thailand 10 years ago."

That puts you at 15.
Never mind we both know you're crap at maths.

Given the number of posts you've made recently it would seem that the 'prescription' medicine you're taking is having an effect.