Matthew 21:12-13

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Matthew 21:12-13

Post by Big Boy »

I've just come back from visiting a temple with Mrs BB where we were charged 5 Baht each when we removed our shoes :?

That's one temple that won't be seeing me again.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Re: Matthew 21:12-13

Post by buksida »

Elaborate please ... :? :? :?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

'MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER'; but you are making it a ROBBERS' DEN."

I won't name the temple, but I was disgusted. They were selling blades of grass to feed the cows, had birds that you pay to release etc. etc. I've seen it all before, but never so blatant and in your face. I don't object to my wife making donations to Buddha, and I'm always the first remove my shoes out of respect, but this took the biscuit.

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Big Boy wrote:'MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER'; but you are making it a ROBBERS' DEN."

I won't name the temple, but I was disgusted. They were selling blades of grass to feed the cows, had birds that you pay to release etc. etc. I've seen it all before, but never so blatant and in your face. I don't object to my wife making donations to Buddha, and I'm always the first remove my shoes out of respect, but this took the biscuit.
Obviously a tourist haven. Thais latch on to a quick buck when a tourist is in sight
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, while I was there, I only saw 2 other Farangs. 5 bus loads of Thais arrived immediately ahead of us.

I generally encourage my wife to do her thing with Buddha, and this always seems to incur cost - I don't participate, but I think its important that she supports her own beliefs.

Rather than charge 5 Baht to remove your shoes (which everybody has to do), why not put an admission booth at the entrance?

Points 48; Position 20
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

go give us a clue .ive never heard of any temple doing such a thing
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

With 5 buses full of Thais visiting, I can only think of one temple in the vicinity of Hua Hin.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Let me guess - Is the place full of ATMs and does it have it's own floating market?
HHADFan
Professional
Professional

Post by HHADFan »

I think I may have visited there once, maybe in 2008. It was more like a market than a temple.

"We're all living proof nothing lasts" - Jay Farrar
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, it was not Wat Huey Monkol (sp) - even they don't charge you for taking shoes off.

Points 48; Position 20
HHADFan
Professional
Professional

Post by HHADFan »

Terry wrote:Let me guess - Is the place full of ATMs and does it have it's own floating market?
Hmmm.... Maybe you could sell 'catch and release' as a way to make merit.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Big Boy wrote:No, while I was there, I only saw 2 other Farangs. 5 bus loads of Thais arrived immediately ahead of us.
Bus loads........well not farangs but certainly tourists whether Thai, Chinese or Korean all willing to pay a few baht for a so called special outing
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Definitely Thai - elongated versions of the Hua Hin/Pranburi buses.

Points 48; Position 20
HHADFan
Professional
Professional

Post by HHADFan »

Big Boy wrote:No, it was not Wat Huey Monkol (sp) - even they don't charge you for taking shoes off.
That is where I was thinking of.

I'm usually happy enough to participate in the missus's rituals for birthdays, showing respect to the spirits on our land, etc. It keeps her happy and doesn't hurt me. But I won't go to places like that.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Big Boy,
Thanks for the information.
I have been on a Temple tour from Bangkok to the Pran Buri, Hua Hin, Petcha Buri, areas
and thankfully I didn't have to pay. Maybe it was because I was with my Thai relatives, but hopefully I can meet you during my Hua Hin visit so I don't go to that temple you went to. I won't even offer to buy you a beer, hopefully you do drink something even coffee or such.
Now a days I do not go with my wife and the relatives to temples anymore, they understand
that I am not a Buddhist and are finally respecting that fact. Only took me 14 years to convince them that I would rather spend my time in other places.
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.