to buy or not to buy !

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
kevars

to buy or not to buy !

Post by kevars »

i have been checking out lots of the posts on here regarding property , purchasing , thai laws etc , i looking to buy some sort of home in HH within the next 6 months , i mentioned to my thai wife about setting up a thai company and purchasing the property that way , i could sense she was not too pleased with the idea ! was just wondering how you guys with thai wifes went about your home buys ? did you buy on the side of caution or take a bit of a gamble and put in your wifes name ?
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

In your Thai wife's/GF's name is not a gamble. :cuss:
Chok dee krap
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

My understanding is that the difffernece between wife and G/F is important here in Thailand.

If you start a company you can own 49% and you will become the MD with a minority shareholding. The remaining 51% is owned by a number of solicitors scattered all over the country.

If you are married then the best thing to do is to give 49% of the shares to your wife. She is entitled to about 50% anyway. This way you have equalkity and you will render the solicitors impotent.

As for girlfriends are concerend, I know nothing. I have heard of many horror stories though, mainlly involving misplaced trust. If your are not sure then do it on your own. It is not your girlfriends concern regarding the property in which you live or have invested in. If she questions you on the subject, my guess is it's for an ulterior motive.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
buksida

Post by buksida »

This topic has been covered many times:

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1507

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1619

However it is still one that interests me as I do plan on buying something at some stage here.

As said above, if you are legally married here then the 50:50 split is more viable but I personally wouldn't put anything into a "girlfriends" name unless I can afford to lose it. There is no logical reason for a Thai wife not to be supportive of setting up a company to purchase property unless she wants it all in her name for a reason.

:idea:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

If you buy the house in a company name, you can save money on taxes when you sell the house as you simply change the directors within the company.
Big Boy

to buy or not to buy

Post by Big Boy »

Is there a need to form a company at all if your wife is Thai and you know that you can trust her?

I hope this is a naive question, but my plans have always been to retire to Thailand and to buy property in my wife's name.

If that is not feasible, can somebody please explain why?
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

No problem Big Boy.
You don't need a form a company to stay in Thailand, as long as the house, car and motorbike is kept in your wife's name.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

You don't need a form? Should be: You don't need to form a company.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

buksida wrote: However it is still one that interests me as I do plan on buying something at some stage here.
Buks, talk to me before you commit yourself. You won't regret it.
Big Boy

to buy or not

Post by Big Boy »

You don't need a form? Should be: You don't need to form a company.
Buksida,

Thanks for that - however, had to look at 2nd message several times to work out where I'd gone wrong.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Norseman,

Please accept my apologies, I'm giving Buksida the credit for your answer.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Not really sure what the F%@# has happened to this thread but anyway ...

Farang, thanks for the offer, we will have a chat. I'm not planning to rush anything ... how long have I been here?!

BB, No problems at all if you know you can trust your wife. However would you put everything into your partners name in the UK (or wherever you're from)? In my view an investment as large as buying a house needs to be secure for both parties involved. Everything in a Thai name where a foreigner has less legal rights than a soi dog doesnt sound very secure to me.

Norseman, put that beer down ... or at least bring a couple round for me!
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Sorry 'bout my spelling buksi. (Sangsom)
I'll buy you a beer anytime.
Why?
Because you're worth it!!!
kevars

Post by kevars »

i think i have the answer !! we have a house in Khonkaen ( in her name but money borrowed from thai bank ) , and i ve said " my love do you think we need a bigger house for our future off spring ? "BINGO ! sweetmouth kevars , now shes distracted im thinking of setting up thai company and purchasing in HH , MM THE WORLD IS MY LOBSTER ! :wink:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

You're promising sprogs as well?
Reckon 2006 could be a busy year for you. Good luck :thumb: