Grumpy old men in restaurants..

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Grumpy old men in restaurants..

Post by kendo »

US , these guys are usually carrying bit chips on their shoulders and are easy to disrupt with some appropriate lip service and a sardonic smile. Trouble is mate you and your good lady are too polite[/quote]

I would agree with Richard you and your Mrs are lovely people if I was you I would confront him give him one warning after that ask him to leave.
I would also tell him this is a pleasant environment for nice customers to enjoy and your staff don't deserve any lest respect than what you offer the customer.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

US, I just love visualising the scene. GOM gives sweet Thai waitress a hard time and then suddenly, big LB appears and says--- can I help you, you grumpy old bastard.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

oakdale160 wrote:US, I just love visualising the scene. GOM gives sweet Thai waitress a hard time and then suddenly, big LB appears and says--- can I help you, you grumpy old bastard.

Oh go on please please US. You could sell tickets and I guarantee you'd be sold out

Employ big C**** for the evening :naughty:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Cheers lads..the last few posts have made me smile..
:cheers: :thumb:

(Richard.. I suggest YOU ask my dragon if we can employ 'Big Bird' on a trial basis..you being smaller than myself means less airbourne kitchen items will hit you when she kicks-off..5-5! :duck: )

You've all got me thinking now..a cheeky/naughty/suggestive L.B. may just bring in customers..?? :naughty:
(Nah..no chance..cannot handle staff with mood-swings every hour!)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I always tip except when the bill has a 10% service charge (the same rule I used in the UK) whether the food was good or bad. It's the waitresses that (hopefully) get the tip and they are doing their best in a low paid job. If the food was bad, then rather than complain, I just wouldn't go there again.

Yet another thread that uses this overly used phrase "but we're a guest in their country". It makes my blood boil. We're not particularly welcomed as a guest as it's always about money. If we didn't bring cash into this country then the doors would be closed! Where in Europe are foreignors told to be thankful that they are a guest in whatever country. (or anywhere else for that matter). STOP using that phrase. It only shows your naivity.

That said, I'm here because I like it.
Grunter

Post by Grunter »

My wife & i eat out at least 4 or 5 nights week & seen a lot of people who are very rude & pushy. We have had all sorts of service around town, but no real complaints as such. But we always leave a tip as in reality it is not a lot for us for the 100-200 baht we leave as a way of appreciation. We have also seen a lot of A$$holes as well who are very abrupt & rude. Well tonight seen it again first hand, this place we eat a fair amount & the staff are friendly & smile all the time. The food is very good & this is why we keep returning. But tonight a complete A$$hole gave nothing but grief to them & was 3/4 sloshed. I could not take it anymore & had to say something as i could see the staff were way to nervous & shy to say anything. Well lets say he was not that big a mouth when i stood up & went to his table beside mine & lent down with my hand on his shoulder & had a quiet word in his ear. Funny how he changes his note we a 100kg guy with full arm tattoo's standing 6' speaks into you ear calmly & asks nice as i could to stop his B@llsh@t. Anyway the punter deciddd he was not hungry anymore & left.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I was thinking, we should have a GOM. Night once a month at a selected restaurant. Of course the REALGom's wouldn't come, just those of us who have an occasional "irritated senior's moment" and label ourselves as suc. Thee real old A- holes, they wouldnt show, they think that they are normal, but then we don't want them anyway.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

HHTel wrote: Yet another thread that uses this overly used phrase "but we're a guest in their country".
Where?
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

dalmatiandave wrote:Not understanding the culture or not learning early on that you are always a guest here will lead to this scenario.
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

HHTel wrote:
dalmatiandave wrote:Not understanding the culture or not learning early on that you are always a guest here will lead to this scenario.
The day that some living here understand the phrase is the day it probably can be dropped from most conversations. It is a phrase that a lot of GOM do not hold dear! If you believe otherwise then for me you have missed the point. I am sorry it still needs to be used as obviously from this thread it is still needed.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Well, I'm with HHTel on this one - most of the way.

I get truly hacked off with the naysayers, discontents and constant complainers, and to that extent I would say that anyone who can't hack it here and is desperate for the standards, infrastructure and behaviour of their own country should pack up and go home.

But we're not guests. The longer I live here, the more I realise that, in the eyes of the authorities, we are a tolerated necessity rather than welcome guests. After ten years I shouldn't be a guest anyway, I should be acknowledged for what I am - a permanent resident.

As for the topic itself - frankly, who cares?
This is the way
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

dtaai-maai wrote:Well, I'm with HHTel on this one - most of the way.

I get truly hacked off with the naysayers, discontents and constant complainers, and to that extent I would say that anyone who can't hack it here and is desperate for the standards, infrastructure and behaviour of their own country should pack up and go home.

But we're not guests. The longer I live here, the more I realise that, in the eyes of the authorities, we are a tolerated necessity rather than welcome guests. After ten years I shouldn't be a guest anyway, I should be acknowledged for what I am - a permanent resident.

As for the topic itself - frankly, who cares?
Sorry your a guest, in some cases tolerated, in other cases not.

Also why would it hack you off, if you are happy here good for you. I am happy, I have a Thai partner, been here 10 years but if the shit the fan I would be watching my back. We are tolerated, many of us are liked but this is not my country, if the roof fell in tomorrow there is only one country that would look after me and it's not Thailand. If I keep that in mind my stay here should be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

dozer wrote:How about the incredibly frugal farangs.

My wife and I were eating at a Thai/European restaurant a few nights ago and towards the end of our meal, a farang couple came in and sat down at a table adjacent to ours. The waitress came with the menu and then returned with a small bottle of water and two glasses. I then noticed that the woman surreptitiously removed a water bottle from her handbag with what looked like red wine in it and a filled up one of the glasses and then put it down the side of the table, next to the wall.
After a few minutes, the guy got up and left the restaurant, about the same time I got up to make a phone call, leaving my wife to collect the takeaway food she had ordered. Once outside I noticed the guy coming out of the nearby Family Mart with a bottle of beer, he then proceeded to sit outside the restaurant drinking his beer.
On the way home, my wife told me that the owner of the restaurant told her, that she knows about the wine and beer thing and that they come in once or twice a week order one or sometimes two plates of food sit there for around two hours, using the wifi, and then leave with no tip. The owner says that she does not want them in her restaurant; but her English is not good, so too “shy” to say something.
If the owner is to shy to speak have her put a sign up indicating a corkage fee for bringing outside drinks in. Then when she sees the lady drinking her wine she brought from home she just adds the fee to the bill. Either the couple excepts and pays or stops going.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

:offtopic:

I don't think you youngsters realise the skills and training needed to perfect the art of being a grumpy old man. Believe you me, I've tried and fail miserably at the final fence. Just as you think you've managed to upset everybody around you and are really settling into feeling hard done by and grumpy some bright spark turns up and says 'want a beer mate?' :cheers: I can't see how you can ever succeed in this country :(
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

^
Richard, you are a light-weight compared to the OP
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon