Cafe staffer washed shoe in sink

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

Cafe staffer washed shoe in sink

Post by PeteC »

Here is a good example of culture shock Thailand IMO. The preoccupation with the "head high, and the foot lowest of low"...culturally as well as literally, has resulted in some extreme measures, inclusive of replacing the sink used. :shock:

Washing a dirty coffee mug with peoples, dribble and spit and other waste in it, and washing a pair of flip-flops in the same sink doesn't personally strike me as something needing the type of action taken.

In any event, maybe an insight for readers just learning about this place. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-recent/ ... oe-in-sink
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Siani
Legend
Legend

Re: Cafe staffer washed shoe in sink

Post by Siani »

I think it is really bad to wash shoes in sinks used for food prep or washing up :( If we think about it, I dread to think of what others might do in the sinks, the mind boggles :shock:
A think good disinfectant should have done the trick after the event.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

This is a quite tricky one because it probably goes much deeper than the hygiene issue - although i do agree with Siani - and I wouldn't wash my sandles at home in the kitchen sink! I can't understand why the staffer didn't just use the toilet spray or shower head - whatever.
At the same time though the article doesn't actually say that the sink in question was being replaced. Just that a new sink was being installed, so maybe the cafe is providing a designated sink for shoe washng? After all - TIT - :wink:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

What I think is even more disgusting, is when people leave their dirty smelly wiped on toilet paper in a plastic bucket instead of flushing it down the toilet.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Name Taken wrote:What I think is even more disgusting, is when people leave their dirty smelly wiped on toilet paper in a plastic bucket instead of flushing it down the toilet.
:mrgreen: yes, its not a nice thing to do! The only difference is you are hopefully not eating in there! Years ago in countries like Spain, it was the norm as I don't think the sewage system could take the paper and clogged up the system. Maybe because of primitive drainage in rural parts of Thailand, its the same problem.
Anyway, IMO washing shoes in food prep area are a :tsk: :tsk: How often have you trodden in Sh*t on a pavement.... :roll: :twisted: :cuss:
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

Yes if you read between the lines it is yet another franchise, probably being squeezed to the limit financially and in premises without proper amenities!
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Name Taken wrote:What I think is even more disgusting, is when people leave their dirty smelly wiped on toilet paper in a plastic bucket instead of flushing it down the toilet.
Well, there is actually a reason:

Thai drain tubes have a much smaller diameter and cannot transport items such as toilet paper. That will clog the system.

Furthermore, you may have noticed the small sprinkler hose next to the toilet. It´s an excellent little gadget. It is used for cleaning your behind after the deed, thus supposedly leaving the toilet paper only for wiping water off said behind. If applied correctly, only clean toilet paper will be left in the bin.
Thais know that but many farangs don´t and will therefore leave dirty toilet paper in the bin.

:idea:
A friend is only one click away
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The butt hose is all well and good, but those in training usually blast the ceiling, walls, or the back of their head at least a few times until they get the aim right. :shock: I don't even want to talk about what happens after an evening of several beers. :mrgreen:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Lung Per wrote:
Well, there is actually a reason:

Thai drain tubes have a much smaller diameter and cannot transport items such as toilet paper. That will clog the system.

Furthermore, you may have noticed the small sprinkler hose next to the toilet. It´s an excellent little gadget. It is used for cleaning your behind after the deed, thus supposedly leaving the toilet paper only for wiping water off said behind. If applied correctly, only clean toilet paper will be left in the bin.
Thais know that but many farangs don´t and will therefore leave dirty toilet paper in the bin.

:idea:
I think that leaving "clean" toilet paper after use, is a little bit of wishful thinking :wink: I suspect a load of it has DNA on it...Thai or Farang :P Maybe the toilets should use this symbol :butt: :P
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Lung Per wrote:Thai drain tubes have a much smaller diameter and cannot transport items such as toilet paper. That will clog the system.
Not sure where you get that idea from, uncle. The standard size sewage pipe used in Thailand is 100 mm / 4 inches. Both the commode outlet and the septic tanks inlet use this size.

It MAY go back to when they only used "squat" type toilets, as I am not sure about those.
Or more likely related to not using actual toilet paper, a lot of which falls apart BEFORE it is used!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Slightly off topic, but I recently was helping my Thai GF get an Australian online safe food handling certificate. It was an eye opener for me to read about required cleanliness in kitchens and food storage. She knew all the stuff but it changed some of my practices even down to coffee mug washing.

Not only in Thailand: I recently took my daughter out to a good Italian restaurant in Sydney. she spied a young kitchen hand drop some food from a plate and put back on for delivery to a customer. She was horrified, leapt up and complained as a health professional she would report the matter. Apologies were profuse and offers for a free meal were declined. She is in Bali at the moment so I await her comments on Bali restaurants with interest :mrgreen:
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

The recycling of food from one plate to another is, unfortunately, not a rare experience.
I have seen that happen in restaurant kitchens all over the world. In many countries it is a criminal offense but the laws are hard to enforce.
:(
A friend is only one click away
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

I think the toilet paper thing in Asia is more based around the idea that one uses it to 'dry up' after washing with the butt-gun or using the water scoop found in older loos. Which, IMO is a good idea / habit / policy.

Of course, public toilets don't always have a butt-gun, which leaves you either reaching into the bowl for water (ugh!) or leaving soiled paper, as mentioned (ugh!).
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....