Govt may take ownership of farang houses in Thai names

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Re: Govt may take ownership of farang houses in Thai names

Post by Farang »

I know full well how Thai Government has furtively been eyeing my house. Occasionally I spot them: They saunter past my house trying to look innocuous and occupied by something else, but they secretly cast glances upon my abode. I very strong feel their envy and malice. Just the other month a Government Spy (GP, plural GPS) pretended to admire the tree in front of the house, but I know he was casing the joint to overtake it.

GPS also use satellites to plan the assault, taking over and occupation of my house and home. I am sure they secretly enter into the house to photo and catalogue my possessions they intend to confiscate from me when it suits them. Farfetched, you say, paranoid, you echo? No I can prove it all beyond any doubt whatsoever:

Just the other night I was at the Local for a couple of cold ones (I choose them myself from their fridge, in order not to be drugged by the publican, who, I am absolutely convinced, plays with GPS). I was away from my house only about half an hour, yet the GPS had stolen absolutely everything in the house, and, to cover it all up, had replaced everything with a minutely exact copy of the original.

I just could not tell the copies from the originals, so well were they made.

So the GPS now has the originals and I have just the identical copies of my former possessions. What more proof can there be?

I try to be cautious. I always look under the bed, all the cupboards and closets and in the attic to catch the spies. I know they lurk in the house and, again, I have the proof:

They often hide in the refrigerator or freezer, but, clumsy as they are, they always forget the light on.

Just look in your fridge, if there’s a light on, your house is infested with GPS.

They are there to take over you house. Any day now.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Farang wrote:I know full well how Thai Government has furtively been eyeing my house. Occasionally I spot them: They saunter past my house trying to look innocuous and occupied by something else, but they secretly cast glances upon my abode. I very strong feel their envy and malice. Just the other month a Government Spy (GP, plural GPS) pretended to admire the tree in front of the house, but I know he was casing the joint to overtake it.

GPS also use satellites to plan the assault, taking over and occupation of my house and home. I am sure they secretly enter into the house to photo and catalogue my possessions they intend to confiscate from me when it suits them. Farfetched, you say, paranoid, you echo? No I can prove it all beyond any doubt whatsoever:

Just the other night I was at the Local for a couple of cold ones (I choose them myself from their fridge, in order not to be drugged by the publican, who, I am absolutely convinced, plays with GPS). I was away from my house only about half an hour, yet the GPS had stolen absolutely everything in the house, and, to cover it all up, had replaced everything with a minutely exact copy of the original.

I just could not tell the copies from the originals, so well were they made.

So the GPS now has the originals and I have just the identical copies of my former possessions. What more proof can there be?

I try to be cautious. I always look under the bed, all the cupboards and closets and in the attic to catch the spies. I know they lurk in the house and, again, I have the proof:

They often hide in the refrigerator or freezer, but, clumsy as they are, they always forget the light on.

Just look in your fridge, if there’s a light on, your house is infested with GPS.

That's the right attitude to have I think. Joke about it, until one day it doesn't seem so funny anymore..
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

What is the alternative? Worry yourself into an early grave? :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Re: New Ed Visa Rules

Post by jumusman »

Rider wrote:
jumusman wrote:
richard wrote:Move to Cambodia :duck:
"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew"

Martin Niemöller,

I know your comment was in jest but it reminded me of this quote. Just because you are married and have a house or a retirement visa you think you are safe...If there is one thing I have learned living in this country its that the rules can change for anyone, at any moment.. Don't ever think you are in a special situation and won't be affected.

I read a few months ago some mumblings about how the Government might take ownership of houses owned by the wife's of falangs if the Thai national cannot prove that the house was purchased by money that she personally earned and not money brought in by the falang from overseas after they were married, which I would assume would be true 99.9% of the time in that situation, if not more...Yes this sounds extreme, but does it sound that far-fetched ? To me, not anymore.
Thailand is a very nationalist country and it is going much more nationalist as time goes on. The working classes are casually racist and lip-service nationalist but on an Asian level not a European nationalist level (not that anywhere in Europe really has this anymore, the last monarchy to have this was probably Romanov Russia. Nowadays maybe Hungary or perhaps Eastern Europe). For Thailand once you climb higher on the rungs of the ladder it's much more nationalistic. Just watch the news or some of the shows on the military channel etc.

The Thais are doing this slowly so that you get used to it. It's akin to the boiling frog, you do it slow and it doesn't notice it until it's too late.
Yep, the house-fantasy will be just that in the near-future. The reason is it's unsustainable for a nationalist country like Thailand to import a western model of farang men (even old retirees) decade in, decade out. The full-throttle days are over, it's just the last gasps we are in right now.
You make a very good point about Thailand being a Nationalist country. I have a friend who gets on rants about this very same issue and explains that this is what happens in Nationalist countries, the number one thing they are scared about is losing their culture and identity, this is why foreigners cannot own land here and buy it all up. They also make immigration as difficult as possible, which we have seen with the recent changes. Allot of decisions are based on that ongoing "fear" that Thailand will one day become a sell out or too influenced by Non Thai's. So steps are taken to make sure things don't head in this direction. I used to make the point that the powers that be cannot be that ignorant and would see the extra income generated for the country in the form of taxes paid by foreigners, retirees, vacationers who live here or spend money here but my friend says that they are unable to see the forest for the trees and this isn't really a concern.

My intent when I originally mentioned this rumor I had heard months ago was not to imply that it was written in stone, but that nobody is safe, if you are retired, married, own a house and have that warm fuzzy feeling that you are going to live the rest of your days out in paradise and nothing is going to change be aware of where you live and the direction the powers that be are taking this country in. You never know what will happen...
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Big Boy wrote:What is the alternative? Worry yourself into an early grave? :?
I agree, worry is not a good thing. There is no reason to concern yourself on a daily basis about something that "might" happen, that's for sure. As I mentioned above, sometimes you have to look at when the shift of power changes what direction they are headed because maybe some of those changes will eventually affect you. Just something we should always be aware of though. You know how the saying goes, the only thing that's constant is change...
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Quote........They also make immigration as difficult as possible,.....Quote

Ah...that old chestnut. Tell me, what they have made difficult? It took me all of 10 mins earlier this week to get my annual extension done. Passport, Letter of income, copy of lease agreement and map to my house + copies. Really tough!!!!!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

sateeb wrote:Quote........They also make immigration as difficult as possible,.....Quote

Ah...that old chestnut. Tell me, what they have made difficult? It took me all of 10 mins earlier this week to get my annual extension done. Passport, Letter of income, copy of lease agreement and map to my house + copies. Really tough!!!!!
Ok you want a specific example, then I shall give you one. Ask and you shall receive...

I am on an education visa and came back into BKK from the U.S on Nov 9th. First immigration asked me question in Thai to make sure I could speak Thai, that's understandable. Then they asked me what school I was going to, I told them the name and they said "How do we know, prove it" So at 12:30am with the school closed I tried to find the number of the owner and called her with no reply. Then they took me back into the Immigration office and had me speak to 2 more people in Thai asking me about my family, my life, my girlfriend, "tell me more about yourself" ok fine... still wanting me to prove I can speak Thai and I am not just taking advantage of an ED visa. Then they told me they could not let me in the country, I asked why, they said because they didn't know what school I was going to, and again, I would have to prove it.

After 30 more minutes of discussion in the Immigration Office they took me back up front to the desk and asked me more personal questions, including how much money I had in the bank, that I needed to prove I had at least 20,000 baht in the bank and how was I going to live each month without an income. The Officer then held my passport, told me to go to the ATM in the baggage area and take a photo with my I Phone of the balance screen showing the balance of my Checking account. ( I wasn't aware that bank account balance was a consideration for allowing someone in with a ED Visa) I went back with my Phone screenshot and showed her my balance. So an hour later after speaking to 4 different people asking me questions only in Thai (which were hard to answer after flying for 26 hours straight, being very tired) they let me in.

I have gone through this process of entering the country many times before with no questions. This was the first time entering with the new Government in power.

What was that about a chestnut again ? I don't understand the reference
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

jumusman wrote:
Farang wrote:I know full well how Thai Government has furtively been eyeing my house. Occasionally I spot them: ,,,,,,jadajada,,,,,,

That's the right attitude to have I think. Joke about it, until one day it doesn't seem so funny anymore..
Joke about it, never! That all was absolutely serious. Just look under your own bed, see the light in your fridge.
They are out to get you. And come that day, you'll get your "I told you so -consolation".
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

A hot potato? yea

Provokes lot's of comments either agreeing or against. I don't think it's a case of panic "what do I do" or time to bury one's head in the sand and say "it'll never happen to me". It's a time to consider 'what if?'

I repeat. I've lived in a what seems civilised, stable country and seen a major shift of power at the top turn things round in a matter of days.

Look at the big picture here now and read between the lines and read anything other than locally controlled press and articles and there are serious moves and shifts in power taking place which will change things.

No knee jerk reaction just reflection on 'what if' IMO
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

How many years have we heard about them dismantling limited companies whose only purpose was to purchase a house? Have they gotten anywhere with that one yet? Have they ordered the sale of any house under a company structure? I think I read they would give 1 year to sell before they confiscated. Then....it all went dead in the news more than a year ago per my memory.

I think they would resurrect that exercise way before they would embark on this new one being talked about. Pete

EDIT: If anything, they may be floating ideas associated with what could be a huge influx of ASEAN foreigners to work and live here under the agreement starting end of 2015. They may be looking for some kind of protective mechanism as surely marriages between Thai and other ASEAN will skyrocket.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Why is it, that it always is the ones without the money or guts to buy a house in Thailand who whinge the loudest?
What is it, the excitingly joyous expectation of Doom to Befall on the house-owners, the envy or the sheer malice that inspires the Prophets of Doom at regular intervals to conjure up the House-Confiscating Troll of Thai Government?

If you are wise enough not to buy a house when others make the mistake, why worry, why whimper?

Sorry, I get it now, this is not a jealousy-fueled threat, much less a whine of envy, this is just making observation, just making conversation about matters in general. Oh yes, so sorry.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Where is the whinging part ? I don't see it. I have both money and guts and am contemplating buying either a second house in the U.S or a condo in Bangkok at some point next year. I will not take any joy if these rumors come to pass, I am not jealous or envious whatsoever. I have friends who are very happy here and don't want to see them lose their house(s), for some of them they have invested most of their life savings, it would be a sad day indeed.

Well your third paragraph looks like you had it right but then I noticed the sarcasm so you are 0 for 3 so far. Have another beer...
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

EDIT: If anything, they may be floating ideas associated with what could be a huge influx of ASEAN foreigners to work and live here under the agreement starting end of 2015. They may be looking for some kind of protective mechanism as surely marriages between Thai and other ASEAN will skyrocket.
There could well be some truth in that and the Thai government may be able can see what could very well happen very soon (admittedly at the last minute) and are trying to install some counter-measures hastily. From what I read and hear, many ASEAN workers are going to try to come and work here because the baht is so strong compared to the other local currencies around (not unlike the UK situation ironically) and the remittances will flow out of Thailand.

I foresee problems ahead as the Thais are not going to like this "open borders" thing and it will become political.

As for immigration, they just made it harder for the piss-takers and criminals to stay forever without contribuing sweet FA....fair enough.

And also, as for their nationism......well, the Chinese run the country anyhow and will further dominate SEA as time goes by through sheer economic expediency.

Regarding them coming to evict me and steal my house from underneath my wife and I.....
Attachments
have-you-seen-my-tin-foil-hat.jpg
have-you-seen-my-tin-foil-hat.jpg (17.89 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Prediction: After around 2 years in the AEU, Thailand will remove itself similarly to the UK proposals of leaving the EEC. The difference is that some in the UK think they can do better outside of the EEC whereas Thailand, despite having more than 10 years to prepare, are not able to compete with the surrounding border countries who have prepared.

U
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

:agree:

I think the two years is being generous though. I doubt it will get past the first year. The Thais are gonna hate it.