Thailand no. 10 in the list for places to retire

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Re: Thailand no. 10 in the list for places to retire

Post by Stargeezer »

I still hope that I can at least spend a few months a Winter in Thailand for some of my retirement.
I have visited Belize, and stayed on an Island out from the capital. The locals were okay
and spoke English, but even they were worried about the increasing crime, and on the
mainland it was far worse. I keep seeing all the storms hitting the Philippines and do not
think I would want to go there other than for a holiday when the storms are not battering the place.
I agree that if Thailand was number 11 it would be better, maybe next year!
I bet the tourist numbers are down for Thailand this Winter, as I have had many friends come back
from their short vacations and tell me that places they were are were only busy
during Christmas and a bit after New Years.
Chok Dee
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand no. 10 in the list for places to retire

Post by hhfarang »

"Retiring in Thailand: The Pros & Cons
By Jean Folger | February 05, 2016

Slightly larger than California, Thailand sits on Southeast Asia’s Indochina peninsula between neighboring Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Malaysia. With 2,000 miles of shoreline, this tropical country is known for sandy-white beaches and crystalline blue-green waters – not to mention ancient ruins, beautiful Buddhist temples and a world-renowned cuisine.

Appearing on many of the “best places to retire” lists, the land formerly known as Siam is home to hundreds of thousands of expats from around the world who have relocated in search of adventure, a change of scenery and new cultural experiences during retirement. But, as with any country, there are pros and cons to settling down in the Kingdom of Thailand, its official moniker (its monarch, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, has been on the throne for nearly 70 years).

The Pros

Beautiful country.
There’s no doubt that Thailand is a country brimming with natural beauty, from postcard-worthy beaches, limestone cliffs and bizarre rock formations, to lush jungles, verdant mountains and secluded waterfalls. Beauty can be found in the cities, as well, with modern and ancient Thai architecture, colorful markets and decorative gardens. For specifics, see Top 7 Cities For Retiring In Thailand.

Amazing food.
Thailand is home to one of the most popular cuisines in the world, based on the notion that opposites attract (at least in food): chili paste with coconut milk, palm sugar with lime juice, sweet noodles with salty crunch. Since many Thai dishes use natural ingredients – with lots of fresh herbs, spices and vegetables – the cuisine is generally considered healthful (just watch out for the MSG).

Low cost of living.
By U.S.standards, things are cheap in Thailand. But you’ll need an income of at least 65,000 baht per month (about $1,817 as of January, 2016), savings of 800,000 baht ($22,359) in a Thai bank account, or a combination thereof that equals 800,000 baht per year to qualify for a retirement visa, as Getting a Retirement Visa in Thailand makes clear.The monthly income requirement serves as a touchstone for what a retired couple needs to live comfortably in Thailand. Of course, you could get by on much less (the typical Thai lives on less than $1,000 monthly), or you could spend much more, depending on your lifestyle and preferences.

The Cons

Weather.
Images typically depict Thailand as a paradise of of white-sand beaches beneath endless, sunny skies. While it certainly has its share of picture-perfect days, at least half the year is dominated by hot, humid and rainy conditions. Although many retirees are keen to escape cold, driveway-shoveling winters, Thailand can prove to be uncomfortably sticky, with 100°-plus temps for weeks at a time.

Personal safety.
Thailand is considered a fairly “safe” country, but tourist areas in particular can be rife with pickpockets, purse-snatchers and scam artists trying to trick you out of your money. Thailand also has a number of health problems that expats should be aware of before traveling. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that all travelers be up to date on routine vaccinations (measles-mumps-rubella, diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis, varicella, polio and flu), plus the hepatitis A and typhoid vaccines. Depending on how long you are staying and what you will be doing, the CDC recommends that some travelers also get vaccinated against hepatitis B, Japanese encephalitis, malaria, and, in limited instances, rabies. So far, the zika virus is rare, but that could change. Reading Zika Virus: Latest Advice on Staying Safe will keep you updated.

Political instability.
Thailand has a long history of unrest. The country has seen numerous military coups – more than any other Asian country in modern history – and spent decades under military rule. Most recently, in May 2014, following more than seven months of protests against the democratically elected government, the head of Thailand’s army, General Prayuth Chan-ocha, led a coup d’état and declared himself prime minister. Today, two years later, the country is still awaiting promised elections to return it to a civilian-run government.

The Bottom Line

Like any country, Thailand offers advantages and disadvantages. On the plus side, the country’s low cost of living, natural beauty and exotic cuisine entice many an expat from around the world. Negatives include months of hot, sticky weather, numerous health concerns and a long history of political upheaval. Of course you'll visit first, but when making the decision to retire abroad (regardless of the destination), it’s important to carefully consider life as a long-term resident, and not just as a tourist."

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/pe ... er=YahooSA
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?