Some tips for long term stay

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Slash
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Some tips for long term stay

Post by Slash »

JamesWest wrote:just come on over, everything will be fine.

try to get your teaching gig lined up before you come over.

i live in Khao Takiab about 5 kilometers south of Hua Hin. less people and traffic. Near the ocean.

what is your budget for rent?

you can rent month to month and keep moving around until you find a area you like.

if you need info on immigration office location, scooter rental, drivers license office location, let me know.

hua hin is expensive compared to the rest of thailand.
that's perfect, thank you both !

Khao Takieb is now definitely on my list, is this in that area ?
bit[dot]ly/1CBU6dq (replace [dot] with . forum doesn't let me add urls :( )

the budget is up to 20k bht/month or so.

I will pm you as soon as the forum let's me use pm, system, I guess I'm too new to use this feature :)
Slash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slash »

Woosie wrote:To answer your question I would suggest considering Khao Takieb. We live here, which is just south of Hua Hin and love the area. It's easy to get into town and Market Village, the beach is 100 yards from our house, we can walk to multiple restaurants (with new ones opening all the time) and Cicada Market on weekends. I recommend checking out the area. Plenty of condos and townhouses for rent in the area all with nice pools and good facilities. It can be busy on holiday weekends but other than that it's fairly quiet. I would not live anywhere else in Hua Hin.
Sounds great, thanks for the tip Woosie!
Slash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slash »

btw the other 2 locations I want to explore are Phuket/Kamala area and Koh Samui. Can anybody comment and compare those to Hua Hin? Why would you choose one over the other?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Slash wrote:btw the other 2 locations I want to explore are Phuket/Kamala area and Koh Samui. Can anybody comment and compare those to Hua Hin? Why would you choose one over the other?

Samui:

I have lived on Samui when I first can to Thailand and I've returned to the island several times since. To be honest, it is the last place I would want to live these days. It really is not the tropical paradise that it once was. Over developed, and infrastructure comparable to darkest Africa. Oh, and you will need a boat for getting around every time it rains. Also, I doubt you would find a decent job on the island, but of course I might be wrong.

Phuket:

I can't really comment since I have not been back there for years. First visited back in 1997 and loved it, possibly because it was my first trip to Thailand. Went back about four years ago and wasn't at all impressed.

Hua-Hin

Stayed in Takiap for nearly three years and loved it. At that time the main road through Takiap was still a dirt road, and only a few condos to be seen. Our rental home was around 50 meters from the beach on the far side of Takiap, and it was truly an awesome place to stay. These days I can hardly recognize Takiap due to aggressive development over the past few years. Nonetheless, it is still a very nice area.

I agree with others about soi 94 area, in that it is a very convenient part of town. However, it's a touch to busy and chaotic for me, and especially since I try to avoid going into town as much as possible.

I stay up soi 6, past the Wat Borfai temple and I find this side of town suits me fine. I did prefer it when we first bought here because there were only two other homes up where we are, but now it's all been developed.
Plenty of places to eat, public transport if you need it, close to Hua-Hin hospital, and a big Makro just down the road. Also plenty of choices as far as rental properties are concerned, both inside and outside housing developments. Lastly, quite close to a quite beach that stretches for miles. Getting to the central Hua-Hin from here takes about 15 minutes on a scooter so not a problem at all.

Best of luck :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Slash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slash »

Thank you Takiap, very valuable observation!
snagsbootneck
Rookie
Rookie

Post by snagsbootneck »

I'm up soi 112 close to the floating markets, little bit of a trek but in my opinion worth it for the peace and quiet. Now 112 has been finished you can be at Market Village in less than 10 minutes (drive) except on a Friday or Sunday evening. You can rent a newish 3 bedroom place, quiet with a communal pool for around 18000-20000 a month. There are some places to rent down soi 102 which is closer to the schools and closer to town. 94 is very close to down town, depends what your looking for?
Slash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slash »

snagsbootneck wrote:I'm up soi 112 close to the floating markets, little bit of a trek but in my opinion worth it for the peace and quiet. Now 112 has been finished you can be at Market Village in less than 10 minutes (drive) except on a Friday or Sunday evening. You can rent a newish 3 bedroom place, quiet with a communal pool for around 18000-20000 a month. There are some places to rent down soi 102 which is closer to the schools and closer to town. 94 is very close to down town, depends what your looking for?
What you're describing sounds good snagsbootneck, I'm at the stage of research and gathering info , so recomendation like this are very welcomed!

We have 3 bedroom now, so that would be ideal, in case relatives comes to visit, or you just need an extra room to get away when baby's teething :)
snagsbootneck
Rookie
Rookie

Post by snagsbootneck »

Your welcome, i have a 3 year and a 6 month old so i appreciate a quiet area. PM me if you want the names of some developments to check out.

Just to add, I recently moved from Kamala to Hua hin with my family. Kamala is great and the beach is spot on. Low season is excellent, but when the hordes of tourists come the roads turn into an epic, its taken me an hour to get to patong before, plenty of bus crashes and drunks on motorbikes. Schools/hospitals are not too convenient. Also standby for a bit of Allah Akbar 5 times a day, they crank the volume up on those speakers..
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

hhfarang wrote:No one ever answered his original question. In a nutshell, it's difficult to answer (maybe that's why no one bothered). Expat enclaves or communities are scattered all over north, south, and west Hua Hin so the best location for you may not be considered desirable for someone else.

What I can tell you is that I lived on west Soi 94 for the last two years there and it was the easiest and most convient time of my ten years in Hua Hin. East and central parts of Soi 94 have turned into restaurant central over the last few years with some bars thrown in, plus a left turn at the base of 94 puts you within a couple of hundred meters of the town's largest mall which includes a super market. A few blocks further is Villa Market, the supermarket that carries the most imported items. You can reach both of these (on the main road) from 94, then turn back west towards home without going downtown or driving in the main road traffic for long.

I rented a three bedroom villa there for 20k per month (long term, more for less than a year) and it was in short walking distance of a large school where you may find employment.

Side issue for this thread, I know - but what happened hhFarrang - did you make it back home after all or did you leave Hua Hin for somewhere else in Thailand?

None of my business but you have told us all about your destiny so there is some learning to be had from your life's story. Peace
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

Near one of the best schools in HH (Yamsaard) is a new development Glory House 2 on soi 94 made up of 3 bedroom townhouses it has a community swimming pool many expat families live there. Rents are around 15k -17k some of the townhouses have been done up with western kitchens and decks coming off the master bedrooms, there are less expensive Thai style rentals also. Plenty of children riding their bikes in the afternoon seems like a nice family place. Lavallee 2 & 3 has some small houses and seem like a nice developments with many young families though it is a bit farther from the shopping mall and beaches.
Slash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slash »

HHCanuck wrote:Near one of the best schools in HH (Yamsaard) is a new development Glory House 2 on soi 94 made up of 3 bedroom townhouses it has a community swimming pool many expat families live there. Rents are around 15k -17k some of the townhouses have been done up with western kitchens and decks coming off the master bedrooms, there are less expensive Thai style rentals also. Plenty of children riding their bikes in the afternoon seems like a nice family place. Lavallee 2 & 3 has some small houses and seem like a nice developments with many young families though it is a bit farther from the shopping mall and beaches.
Thanks for the tip HHCanuck, seem like a nice place worth exploring..
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Side issue for this thread, I know - but what happened hhFarrang - did you make it back home after all or did you leave Hua Hin for somewhere else in Thailand?

None of my business but you have told us all about your destiny so there is some learning to be had from your life's story. Peace
I live in North Carolina now.

:offtopic:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

hhfarang wrote:

I live in North Carolina now.

:offtopic:

I guess good for you but you lost out on the scouting party with head torches together with Big Boy and Dundrillin - ref the thread about new housing develoment on the hill
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Unless you have an advanced degree, experience and are connected you won't get a job in an International School where the good salaries are. Language school in Thailand pay peanuts, offer little in the way of teaching resources and support, huge classroom hours (30+/week) and are really businesses pretending to be schools. Without a work permit you are subject to the vagaries, whims and incompetence of the owner and his cronies. Getting the wp takes time and most school operators are too lazy to do it when there are drunk backpackers who can be paid peanuts and don't care anyway.
Apart from Int'l schools the best teaching jobs are in colleges/unis upcountry where it can be very cheap to live, house rents 5-6000/month. These jobs pay about 30K/month for 12-14 contact hours/week and another 10-20K can be easily had privately tutoring well-off kids.
Happiness can't buy money
MrShangriLa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MrShangriLa »

Khao Takiab sounds great but if you want the hustle/action of a bigger city does it deliver? I am looking to try before I buy and any intel welcome. thanks!