What makes the well contented ex-pat??

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

So we have many people represented here that all have various degrees of happiness here. What do you think makes the best suited expat in Thailand?
:cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: What makes the well contented ex-pat??

Post by hhfarang »

Lots of answers for that one, but for me, besides getting off on the wrong foot with a crooked builder in the beginning, you have to like the climate (which I did not). The endless summer and lack of seasons and variety in climate got to me after about 3 years. I found that even after living in south Florida for four years Thailand was much hotter with much less variation in temperature and humidity between winter and summer and I've never tolerated heat and humidity well. In other places I've lived, summers were like Thailand, but there was always some relief to look forward to during the next season.

The other main thing is you have to have a way to occupy your time (not sitting on a barstool) or you will get bored and possibly slip into a destructive lifestyle to fill the empty hours.

Other than the climate and dodgy (expat, not Thai) people looking to rip you off I could have been happy in Hua Hin, even with the rapid growth that took place during my sojourn there. I still think that if you're going to live in Thailand, there are few places as good as Hua Hin.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

"What makes the well contented ex-pat??"

A bit of weed in my case...

1: Having some sort of close group of friends is very important. I'm lucky that me best mate of 16 years also moved out here, so get to see him.

2: People with a naturally calm personality always tend do better here. If you can stay calm during the non-stop ridiculousness of the country you're gonna do okay, generally.

3: An active lifestyle. Bar dwellers rarely make it...

Woosie
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Woosie »

I have to say most of the well contented ex-pats I know do not read or comment on the forum. They are too busy enjoying their time here and have very active lifestyles with plenty of interests.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

When i moved here, i stopped drinking as i knew i would want to do it all the time with these prices.

I did have a walk around and made a mental note of expats i didn't want to turn out like in later years....some are members on here...imagine that ;)
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
buksida

Post by buksida »

Well I'm pretty content and I still use the internet and forums. :P

I'd add to the items already suggested with ...

Tolerance - this is Asia, things do not happen as they do in the west, you'll need to just accept it, don't try to change it.

Acceptance of your social status - you are a mere farang/tourist/cockroach in the eyes of the authorities and the ever growing segment of snooty Thai 'nouveau riche'.

Be happy with your time - for some 'less is more', reading, relaxing, generally doing very little works. Others need to be kiteboarding, mountain biking, scuba diving, find what is best for you and enjoy it.

In general I find the discontented expats are constantly comparing things here with their home country, the more contented ones are enjoying things here for what they are - totally different to their home country!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

In a nutshell, you can be perfectly happy here if you can well and truly accept the fact that you can never change the way Thais do things. When I say "accept", I really do me total acceptance. In my opinion, if you can achieve that goal then 90% of the battle has already been won.

Getting angry or even frustrated when you see acts of total stupidity will eventually make you unhappy here. Basically, if you can laugh rather than cry then you'll be fine here.

I'm not sure if I agree with the whole "staying active" concept. :shock: I would love to have absolutely nothing to do, but unfortunately, with three kids to look after, there is very little chance of that happening. It's only in the evenings that I get a chance to relax with a beer or two, but even then I can't let loose because up at 05h30 every morning.

Still, even though I'm currently dealing with some personal problems, I feel very content here apart from the fact that it has been freezing cold here for the last month and a half, especially in the evenings.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

The acceptance of how things are I believe in. Here in California I rant on drivers, but in Thailand I am quiet. My wife asks me why the difference and I tell her "that's how things are here and I accept, I don't in the states since it is supposed to be different".
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I strongly agree with most of what Takiap and Buksida have said above, but I think there's an even simpler answer to the OP's question.

It seems to me, particularly in terms of some regular forum users, that some people are simply not inclined to be 'contented'.

If you are disposed to enjoy your life, whether active or sedentary, physical or cerebral, and to adopt a positive outlook, then you are likely to be content wherever you live.
This is the way
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I agree with just about all that has been stated above.

From a personal point of view and tending to be a social animal I agree with GLCQ in his statement regarding friends. I have many friends of different ages and occupations who are either living here permanently, spending several months a year here or just visit once a year.

Additionally I think it important to accept that certain things will irritate you in the way they happen in SE Asia. Just smile and shrug it off. You have to come to terms with the fact you cannot change their logic and culture.

BUT as stated by me several times before, if you don't like it MOVE ON :)
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

dtaai-maai wrote:If you are disposed to enjoy your life, whether active or sedentary, physical or cerebral, and to adopt a positive outlook, then you are likely to be content wherever you live.

Very true DM. I've only lived in two countries other than my own, and I've been content in both. I was very happy in the UK, even more so than here in some ways, but in the end Thailand proved to be too tempting, mostly due to all the things so many expats complain about. :shock: :laugh:

Not sure if I would still be here today if my circumstance were different, but if I do ever leave, it won't be because of Thailand being the way it is. More a case of having itchy feet. And to think I originally departed from South Africa back in 1995 for a one year working holiday in the UK and Europe. 20 years later, and I've only been back twice, both times in 1996. Also, if I did leave Thailand I would probably just move on to Cambodia or whatever, or possibly South America.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

I have been 15 years in Thailand, quite happy, living in many places far from tourist hubs, can speak, write and read thai fluently, but I will try Nicaragua in a few months, and do not know if I will like it so much (I have worked and lived 15 years in Panama 1980-1995). I will keep you informed !
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Enough income and not having to worry about money would make me well contented :)
www.35mmview.com
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

What makes a well contented ex-pat is an oxymoron.

This is because an expatriate will make then best of where ever they are.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

malcolminthemiddle wrote:What makes a well contented ex-pat is an oxymoron.
This is because an expatriate will make then best of where ever they are.
That's the opposite of an oxymoron... if an expatriate were to always make the *worst* of wherever they are, then a well-contented expat would be an oxymoron.

Besides which, you appear to be implying that there are no discontented expats living in Hua Hin (or, indeed, anywhere in the world)??