bitten by someones dog

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: bitten by someones dog

Post by usual suspect »

Yep..this could be a case when you are the victim, & the dog's owner is a twat..my 1st port of call would be the police station..explain the situation, explain you've had to fork out for jabs, also explain to them about the attitude of this person..a home-visit from the local MiB to clarify things including this person's visa-status etc... may just get your hospital bill paid for..inc that 5000B jab..& please not forget your trauma knowing you may have conracted rabies or summat nasty..any compensation the MiB get from him is in their favour..as I'm sure you'd gladly donate some of your compo to their tea-fund.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Get a receipt from the hospital along with a doctor's note (you can still get this after your initial visit. They have the records on computer) then ask a Thai friend to kindly inform the neighbor what the bill was as a result of his dog and please could he pay it. If not given a 'yes, I suppose I'll have to pay it', have the Thai helper person in question inform him that, if he doesn't pay, he (you) has no option but to take the matter to the police as the bitten victim can't afford to pay the medical bills.

The guy will pay the bill. It happens all the time.

:cheers:
snagsbootneck
Rookie
Rookie

Post by snagsbootneck »

I agree the sensible option is go to the Police, however I think the Thai solution (which suits me fine) would be to hit the owner with a stick, whilst wearing a pair of shin-pads of course.
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Could you ask the owner if his dog has had all his shots and to show you the records? All my dogs have their shots/vaccines and all are on record. You may find you have nothing to worry about.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Arlo wrote:Could you ask the owner if his dog has had all his shots and to show you the records? All my dogs have their shots/vaccines and all are on record. You may find you have nothing to worry about.

Yes, under the circumstances, I would probably not have any shots, but the fact still remains that the OP was bitten. The owner is responsible for their dog. If you don't know how to look after/control a dog then you shouldn't have one. If the dog had bitten a Thai person, the owner would almost certainly have forked out some money. At least if the owner has to pay, he/she might be more inclined to keep their mutt under control.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Takiap wrote:
Arlo wrote:Could you ask the owner if his dog has had all his shots and to show you the records? All my dogs have their shots/vaccines and all are on record. You may find you have nothing to worry about.

Yes, under the circumstances, I would probably not have any shots, but the fact still remains that the OP was bitten. The owner is responsible for their dog. If you don't know how to look after/control a dog then you shouldn't have one. If the dog had bitten a Thai person, the owner would almost certainly have forked out some money. At least if the owner has to pay, he/she might be more inclined to keep their mutt under control.

Your right about the owner being responsible for the dog but accidents happen. I was talking more about the medical part such as rabies. If it was me I would rather someone come speak to me and leave the police out of it. If I was bitten and it was nothing severe which the OP stated it wasn't, I would rather deal with it between 2 adults if I could. I am not out to make anybody's life more difficult than it is by bringing the police into a minor situation. That's just me though and everyone's different. If I knew the dog was good with his shots then I would be fine to just carry on with my life.
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

What happened yesterday was a bit unexpected, and I'm leaving in a minute to see the dog owner again:

It's a Thai guy with foreign wife. They balked at the bill I showed them (6100B) which is the initial 1000B I paid, 3500B for the immunoglobulin shot (haven't had it yet) and the cost of the additional rabies shots spaced over 1 month (I talked to someone who's friend had the same treatment at BKK hospital = 30,000B!). They took copies of my receipts and said they would take them to hospital to verify. They then called my wife a few hours later and accused her/us of trying to swindle them out of money and said they have been to the hospital with their dogs paperwork and that I don't need any further treatment (like I'd take their word for it), and that we were somehow trying to cheat them (like I intentionally got bit by their dog). They also said they had been to the police and told them their is 'a bad lady' trying to cheat them!

I am pretty reasonable, if they had said, OK we will pay half, I would have agreed. If they had said, lets take the dog to the vet now to get checked out, then re-asses what medical treatment you need, i would have agreed.

TBC...
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

Well, they got their kid to stand there and say they weren't home. One of them clearly was. So I took photos of the house and dog and went to the police. Luckily a cop i kind of know was working and he tried to help as much as he could, so we made a report, but it boiled down to us having to try to get the owners to come to the cop shop and talk it out. Now they won't answer the telephone.

The BIB showed us the log for the previous day, and of course there was no report made by these people yesterday, that was all BS.

They never once said sorry or asked if I was OK or anything decent people would have done, it's all been suspicion, accusations and lies from their side. I am no longer feeling as reasonable as I was previously.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I think you need to get your Mrs to offer some kinda commission to the BIB even if you walk away out of pocket but they have to cough up that's a second best result.

Your Mrs should also make a point with the Thai dog owner that using a child to front your issue with him is a serious loss of face.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

True on both counts there. Would happily make it worth the BIB's while.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

kendo wrote:Your Mrs should also make a point with the Thai dog owner that using a child to front your issue with him is a serious loss of face.
Would your wife do this? I very much doubt it. I certainly wouldn't dream of asking Mrs D-M to do any such thing, and I'm pretty sure she'd be horrified if I suggested it.

There's a lot of nonsense spoken by farang about 'face', but while it is undoubtedly a factor that can't be ignored, I don't think it's something that is often directly referred to by Thais ... erm... 'face to face', so to speak.
This is the way
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

My wife suggested that to me she's a very sweet girl but when she gets a bee in her bonnet look out, and she's not really any different from most Thai's.
We had a situation a few years back at a guess house where they had done our laundry and told to wash new beach sarongs separate from my expensive shirt, they didn't resulting in a blue chequer shirt being stained yellow the shirt was a French Connection shirt value of three thousand baht.
I said to my wife "it's a Thai issue you deal with it" so after a big argument with the patron and staff she got compensation in full.

When it comes to money or a situation where you hide away or send a kid out front I am sure most Thai's would be really rattled by this the old saying comes to mind of lighting blue touch paper and stand back.

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I wasn't suggesting that Thais don't confront such issues head on, just that they rarely refer directly to a loss of face when doing so. I'm happy to admit that I may be completely wrong, as I don't understand the 'face' issue any better than most non-Asians.
This is the way
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

There's a Thai phrase "sweet face sour ass" I think when no reasonable attempt at making an acceptable comprise is made it really changes the dynamics of the situation .
My wife told me she would be happy to except fifty per cent of the bill but would have been more angry of the dog owner trying to avoid paying anything and avoiding the issue by using a kid to come out front.

PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

It was actually the foreigner I believe was hiding away inside and sending the kid out, as the Thai guy was clearly not there (he has a big work truck parked outside which was gone, but the family car was there).
My wife has spoken to him on the phone since the morning, and he said he would pay up...so we shall see...