Thailand frustrations and 'mood swingers'

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Thailand frustrations and 'mood swingers'

Post by richard »

I'm positive there's an appropriate thread for this but I'm damned in that I cant find it. So mods, if you think of a more appropriate place for this please move.

I'm sure all us long 'termers' have been through this and most of us come to terms with it eventually as there is only so long you can bang your head against the wall until you create some sort of damage.

I kicked off the day in a great mood. Up early, sun was out and a light warm breeze so off to pool for some exercises. back for a breakie and then into town to brave the post office. I had to go to the main post office as I needed a money order for the British Embassy. I wasn't sure about getting the service at MV and so the better of the two evils (MV or PO) resulted in me braving the PO. I wasn't sure off the best time to go but 10.30am on a Monday certainly is not.

The place was packed. I got my ticket and looked for the sign giving out next number in line. No indicator board. Just a muffled numeral given out over the bellowing distorted PA system. An Immediate MOOD swing. I was in a bad, impatient mood and standing(no seats available) in the middle of the PO and along with two other farangs surrounded with Thais with parcels and kids. Half of the parcels were in the process of being filled, sealed and written and I thought..'What the Fu@k am I doing here?'. Then a tiny tot of about 2 decided to gurgle at me and reach for my letter. Decision time. Beat it or stay.

Well I thought that as there was nowhere to sit and after glancing at a few ticket holders tickets I was about 40 down the line I almost gave up and scarpered to the safe sane venue of a Binta bar. Then I thought 'it'll be the same tomorrow so sort it'. First thought was to call for help. Get a b/g to come to the rescue and stand in for me for the the price of a lady drink. Tried to phone a couple but no answer and the 2 year old had decided she/he wanted to play with my phone.

I wasn't going to give up. I sidled to the side of the counter and spoke to one of the cashiers serving and indicated I was just a dumb deaf farang and didn't know when my turn was. She smiled, looked at my ticket and said "what is your name please? I'll call you" Immediate MOOD change. All of a sudden people were smiling, kids were being friendly and nodding a lot and I was a happy farang bunny again.

I leaned there waiting and the cashier suddenly put her hands up and indicate 10 to go. I smiled (NOT in a lecherous way). Suddenly it was my turn as the announced quite loudly before the PA system could splutter out my number. 'Richard'. I'm sure she skipped a few numbers. Handed over my letter and a scribbled note about the money order and she sorted the lot out and reading back to me what she had put on the money order. Job complete and a nice smile to me at my departure. Should have got her phone number :naughty:

So there you have it. Maybe it's just me but tiny frustrations are frequent here and they can swing your mood instantly but just one little thing can swing the mood back.

I'm learning to be patient in my old age and as a good friend once told me many years ago, 'In Thailand when you come up against a problem do as the Thais do. There are at least 5 solutions to any one problem'..It's so true :cheers: :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Frustrations and 'mood swingers'

Post by HHTel »

'In Thailand when you come up against a problem do as the Thais do.
and jump the queue!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I guess I did without really trying and to my surprise :thumb:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Richard, unless it is something extremely urgent, try to avoid the Post Office on Mondays altogether. Also, if possible, try to get to there early, a few minutes before opening time.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Thailand frustrations and 'mood swingers'

Post by Pleng »

richard wrote: I wasn't going to give up. I sidled to the side of the counter and spoke to one of the cashiers serving and indicated I was just a dumb deaf farang and didn't know when my turn was. She smiled, looked at my ticket and said "what is your name please? I'll call you" Immediate MOOD change. All of a sudden people were smiling, kids were being friendly and nodding a lot and I was a happy farang bunny again.:
But you really shouldn't *have* to ask in the first place. There's nothing wrong with the PA system; it's perfectly clear... but it's no good if you don't speak Thai!

I was also in there yesterday and there were quite a few farrang there. They all seemed to be paired up with Thai women but that's not always the case. If there's no response to the ticket number when announced in Thai (as is often the case; I guess a lot of people get bored waiting...) then would it really be such a hardship for the counter clerk to shout the number in English before pressing the button again to call the next number??
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Takiap wrote:Richard, unless it is something extremely urgent, try to avoid the Post Office on Mondays altogether. Also, if possible, try to get to there early, a few minutes before opening time.

:cheers:
Thanks Takiap

I usually do by avoiding Mondays and Fridays for visits to institutions of a similar nature but this was urgent. My fault entirely as I kept putting it off (Thai retirement syndrome)
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand frustrations and 'mood swingers'

Post by HHTel »

it's perfectly clear... but it's no good if you don't speak Thai!
I was impressed with the queue number call in Kasikorn bank. When you take your ticket, you first press the 'English button'. When your number comes up the system calls it in English. I've not seen that anywhere else.