Is it Rip-Off Thailand?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Is it Rip-Off Thailand?

Post by Big Boy »

Name Taken wrote:
NOKYAI wrote:You appear to be overpaying for your water..... The largest truck available that fills my huge underground tank and topped up the pool, will last a family of 3 for 2 weeks only costs B500!
That's one of things that really pisses me off about living in Thailand, every single Thai is trying rip you off.
When I lived in Pattaya a Song Taew driver charged me 100 baht to go about 2km(when the real price was 10 baht).
I've moved this question here from the water thread.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Re: Is it Rip-Off Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote:
Name Taken wrote: <snip> ...

That's one of things that really pisses me off about living in Thailand, every single Thai is trying rip you off... <snip>
Really? Every single Thai?
I would say it is true for the majority of Thais selling something.

I have always said, when talking about Thailand is that you will get ripped off. However most things are cheaper, and so long as both parties are happy with the price, it's a win/win situation.

Prime example is the dual pricing policies for Farangs. However, if we go shopping (outside of regular supermarkets etc), I rarely walk with Mrs BB because as soon as they see me, a Farang surcharge is added. Even with a Farang surcharge, prices are generally acceptable, but I do sympathise with the OP's sentiments of 'every single Thai is trying rip you off.'

Most of us have chosen to live in Thailand with our eyes open to the fact that we will be ripped off, but we have accepted that fact - it is annoying though.

On the other hand, there are some good guys out there - our regular odd job man does a wonderful job, and has never yet tried to rob us.

Points 48; Position 20
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

We experience it here but you could just as easily say rip off Asia, Arabia, Africa, South America. Even in Oz, Europe and North America the unwary will be ripped off. Forums like this can save the unwary a huge amount of grief be it financial or otherwise.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: On the other hand, there are some good guys out there - our regular odd job man does a wonderful job, and has never yet tried to rob us.
Not to mention your T-shirt man, the company that did your glass partition, the restaurants you go to, the food stalls, etc. etc. :shock: :wink: :laugh:

EDIT: To try to look at this seriously, we live in a world where the majority of people take what they can get. It's easier to do that in a poorly regulated country like Thailand, and it's obviously going to be more prevalent in a major tourist resort, but I think the people of most countries would react in the same way, and in the same proportions, given the opportunity.
This is the way
Big Boy

Re: Is it Rip-Off Thailand?

Post by Big Boy »

Agreed, but an awful lot of sharks out there as well.

I'm sure the T shirt man will rip me off, but at a level that I will find acceptable (a Thai would probably get a marginally cheaper price), likewise with the partition man........ or maybe I'm paranoid. Remember I said a win/win situation.

I lump restaurants etc in with the supermarkets. Prices are fixed, and I take it or leave it. I don't eat, and then negotiate how much I'm going to pay.

I know some people love to barter, but I'm not one of those people I'm afraid.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I would agree that rip offs are a product of lack of regulation in Thailand, you can find endless cases of Westerners ripping off people there and often over large sums of money in property and investment scams which makes whatever happens in the fruit and veg market seem pretty insignificant.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There are headlines today of unsavoury characters waiting to pounce on OAP's in the UK who are now able to access their pensions as lump sums - the papers will be full of rip-off stories before long and in many cases that will be tens of thousands of pounds, not just a few hundred Baht.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I was trying to be helpful with what you should be paying for water! Of course, as BB says it's useful to have a Thai wife or Thai friends to point you in the right direction. The OP on the water thread was being asked to pay a share of B4,400 for 4 trucks A DAY!! Someone is making a serious amount of money out of this and the people in the resort are taking a real spanking!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Re: Water supplies to residential areas

Post by heartofmidlothian »

If you want to live in Thailand, then you need to make it your business to know the real costs of things and also learn to speak some Thai. It frustrated me when I first came here but the problem went away when I learnt to speak basic Thai. They straight away dont mess with you because they assume that you have been here a long time. Once you have been here a long time you realise that the real danger for getting seriously ripped off is actually with other farangs.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Even with motorcycle taxis.... You ask to go somewhere, are given a silly price, tell the guy that his price is the same as a car taxi (in basic Thai) and suggest a sensible price -> m/c guy gets the message, lower price agreed and off you go...

<Slightly off-topic> In HH, I find that my attempts at communication in basic Thai in bars etc. are wasted. The Thais are clearly expecting me to speak English becoase I'm a farang - so they reply in English!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

heartofmidlothian wrote:If you want to live in Thailand, then you need to make it your business to know the real costs of things and also learn to speak some Thai. It frustrated me when I first came here but the problem went away when I learnt to speak basic Thai. They straight away dont mess with you because they assume that you have been here a long time. Once you have been here a long time you realise that the real danger for getting seriously ripped off is actually with other farangs.
Spot on. Even if your Thai is shaky at first people will appreciate you making the effort. But also important is to barter with a smile. It really does make a difference, and bartering is expected.
Also try to get to know your regular suppliers. The M/C taxi, the plumbers shop, the bottle gas man etc. Shop where Thai people shop and try to blend in. Look clean and tidy but not over flashily dressed. Even acting dumb sometimes can produce results.
Always remember that in somewhere like Tesco MV you are just a face in the crowd, but by regularly being seen in town and the markets you will be viewed as a regular customer who potentially has farang bucks to spend, but who won't be easily conned.
And yes - the worst cases of serious rip offs are by other farang.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

margaretcarnes wrote:But also important is to barter with a smile. It really does make a difference, and bartering is expected.
Unfortunately, this is a skill I don't possess [Edit](batering, not smiling), so if it happens, I'm just another lost sale - I walk away. I know that I'm not alone. The problem for me with bartering is the opening cost is outrageously high, and my brain warns me - RIP OFF ALERT!!!
the worst cases of serious rip offs are by other farang.
I've obviously heard the stories, but never been a victim ............................. yet,

Points 48; Position 20
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

hhinner wrote:
Name Taken wrote: <snip> ...

That's one of things that really pisses me off about living in Thailand, every single Thai is trying rip you off... <snip>
Really? Every single Thai?
Uh oh, looks like dtaai-maai has his little troll army trolling me again, he's obviously too butthurt to here the truth about Thailand and wants me to stop posting.
Stay Classy and keep making a Thailand a better place. :wink:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Anyone that thinks Thailand is bad should try spending some time in Malaysia - as a foreigner you'll be stung on absolutely everything there.

Paying over the odds in a tourist town such as Hua Hin should really be expected and budgeted for IMO, it happens in every tourist destination in the world.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Big Boy wrote:
margaretcarnes wrote:
the worst cases of serious rip offs are by other farang.
I've obviously heard the stories, but never been a victim ............................. yet,
I can't say that I have been ripped off by a a farang yet either(and I have been in Thailand for almost 10 years), just Thai's.