You think Thai TV is tasteless...?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

You think Thai TV is tasteless...?

Post by dtaai-maai »

If Thai TV makes you cringe, this Cambodian effort would have had you gaping speechless at your screen...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32716824
A Mother's Day prank on Cambodian TV has backfired on social media, with the producers accused of cruelty to a teenage girl.

Autumn Allen, a 13-year-old American singer living in Cambodia, had just performed on a local television show last Sunday when she was told that she would be reunited with her mother.

Ms Allen has been living in Phnom Penh with her father since 2008. She last saw her mother, who lives in the US, when she was six.

Wiping away tears, Autumn told the show's hosts that it was her "dream to see her mother again".

"My mother last held and kissed me and told me that she would always love me," she told the audience.

But the promise turned out to be a prank staged by the TV station. Instead of Autumn's mother, a local comedian - dressed in drag - came out pretending to be her.

_82951672_enhanced-21109-1431440840-1.png
_82951672_enhanced-21109-1431440840-1.png (59.04 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
This is the way
Big Boy

Re: You think Thai TV is tasteless...?

Post by Big Boy »

I guess any publicity is good publicity. If nothing else, people have heard her name now :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:I guess any publicity is good publicity. If nothing else, people have heard her name now :?
Totally disagree, how can you break the heart of a young girl like that - unless as a result she does actually get to meet her mother, it could affect her for the rest of her life.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Shocker this one is....bunch of insensitive Wan%#@s.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I still think (don't know) it was a publicity stunt. I can't see anybody in the public eye being that cruel.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I would not say that Thai TV is tasteless, just broadcasts programmes that appeal to it's audience and so attracts the commercial sponsorship which is the reason for its existence.
It just happens that said programmes do not appeal to most foreigners which is irrelevant when looking at the big picture.
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Post by MajorBloodnok »

Western TV programmes can be just as tasteless. Certain "reality" shows such as 'Big Brother' or "Get me out of here , I'm a non-entity" are hardly better.
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Thought you were talking about 'tuther' forum! Would agree that is tasteless and full of aggressive yanks!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I recently watch a couple of films and interviews by Norman Wisdom. Back in the 50's that was slapstick at it's best and was really funny. Thai TV is full of slapstick,especially chan, 3 but 60 years on and they still haven't caught up with the British slapstick of the 50's
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

They never will.!

Thai TV is IMO some of the worst programming ever set to air.

The 20 minute interruptions with mindless commercials, the dubbing of dare I say it C class films with inappropriate Thai voiceovers, screens obliterated with Chinese and Thai subtitles, the need for ridiculous sound effects to reinforce humour, the endless channels flogging things - the list goes on.

I must however admit to watching the occasional soccer match and Muay Thai even though I can't understand the dialogue.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I can't really say whether it is tasteless or not because I've never managed to tolerate more than about 60 seconds of it. It is one of the only things that irritates me in Thailand, so I simply avoid it altogether.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Do you ever watch Thai music videos? they are all the same. Beautiful Thai women being beaten by Thai boyfriend when they are called out for being a butterfly or drinking or gambling.

Women grabbed by the throat, knocked to the ground and punched and kicked. Lots of yelling and screaming and tears. Then the Thai man is sorry and the rest of the video he is trying get the girl back.

Domestic violence is almost always a central theme.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I do, but I've never seen the ones you are seeing. Maybe you're watching a particular genre.

Points 48; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've never seen such music videos either and I've seen lots.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Here in California we get a lot of Mexican programs including their version of lakorns, telenovelas. Also ex wife (Korean) watched their soap operas.

Can't really say which (including US) shows are worse, but they all are various degrees of suck!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.