Expat Kicks Some Traffic *ss.

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Expat Kicks Some Traffic *ss.

Post by JamesWest »

this is a positive post about a expat who took charge. if you are out there, thanks for trying.

about a month ago i sitting in Lucky Restaurant on the corner of Soi 84 and Railroad, having breakfast with my Thai girlfriend. it was about 12 noon and very hot. There was a lot of traffic, almost gridlock. There were many cars from Bangkok double parked causing much of the slow down. Scooter were not even moving. We were getting a face full of exhaust fumes.

My girlfriend said "Stu-pid Bangkok people, no care. big money man. big boss. run you down on scooter. no care"

Then I heard something in the distance you don't hear to often, the sound of a scooter horn being blown for a long period. maybe five seconds each blast. it was getting closer. then i saw a Farang man on a scooter.

He was very calm, not screaming or angry, just determined to do something. he was stopping at each double parked car and blowing his horn. he would look into the tinted windows not really being sure anyone was home. 5 seconds of calm horn blowing, a stern look into the windows and then he moved on. i was thinking maybe he is a retired traffic cop. he looked at home on his scooter with a serious attitude.

i lost sight of him as he moved north, but i could still hear his horn blowing for a long time as he moved along.

about 10 minutes later a traffic cop shows up. then i see the expat with the cop. he had gone and got a cop and made him come to the street and do his job. wow!

the cop got off his scooter and looked like he had no idea what to do. he really looked overwhelmed. Farang man was talking to him in English. pointing. "look see?" "cars?" i could see the cop was thinking "too hot. no shade. Farang not know. Why me?". the expat had a heavy European accent, maybe German. I was very close to all of this at my table. again he was very calm.

I was thinking here is a man from somewhere in Europe and he could not take it any more. He had to do something. or at least try. again he was calm. professional. maybe just wanting to see some order made out of the chaos that is Thailand.

the cop walked across the street and started to write tickets. the expat left. and so did the cop.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Expat Kicks Some Traffic *ss.

Post by Bristolian »

^^ I suggest that you maybe need to reconsider your signature...

"I wish everyone would stop complaining and trying to change Thailand. If you don't like it please don't come here. It will be a sad day when all the unique culture, fun and freedom is gone. If you don't like the wild west, stay out of Dodge"

Double parking, ignoring traffic laws are the norm for Thailand, like it or not!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Maybe he's just lucky it was midday - some of those heavily tinted windows could have rolled down and pointed something nasty at the scooter... :shock:
วินเชนท์
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

VincentD wrote:Maybe he's just lucky it was midday - some of those heavily tinted windows could have rolled down and pointed something nasty at the scooter... :shock:
:agree:
You need to be very careful here in Thailand.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

JamesWest wrote:this is a positive post about a expat who took charge. if you are out there, thanks for trying.

about a month ago i sitting in Lucky Restaurant on the corner of Soi 84 and Railroad, having breakfast with my Thai girlfriend. it was about 12 noon and very hot. There was a lot of traffic, almost gridlock. There were many cars from Bangkok double parked causing much of the slow down. Scooter were not even moving. We were getting a face full of exhaust fumes.

My girlfriend said "Stu-pid Bangkok people, no care. big money man. big boss. run you down on scooter. no care"

Then I heard something in the distance you don't hear to often, the sound of a scooter horn being blown for a long period. maybe five seconds each blast. it was getting closer. then i saw a Farang man on a scooter.

He was very calm, not screaming or angry, just determined to do something. he was stopping at each double parked car and blowing his horn. he would look into the tinted windows not really being sure anyone was home. 5 seconds of calm horn blowing, a stern look into the windows and then he moved on. i was thinking maybe he is a retired traffic cop. he looked at home on his scooter with a serious attitude.

i lost sight of him as he moved north, but i could still hear his horn blowing for a long time as he moved along.

about 10 minutes later a traffic cop shows up. then i see the expat with the cop. he had gone and got a cop and made him come to the street and do his job. wow!

the cop got off his scooter and looked like he had no idea what to do. he really looked overwhelmed. Farang man was talking to him in English. pointing. "look see?" "cars?" i could see the cop was thinking "too hot. no shade. Farang not know. Why me?". the expat had a heavy European accent, maybe German. I was very close to all of this at my table. again he was very calm.

I was thinking here is a man from somewhere in Europe and he could not take it any more. He had to do something. or at least try. again he was calm. professional. maybe just wanting to see some order made out of the chaos that is Thailand.

the cop walked across the street and started to write tickets. the expat left. and so did the cop.
:thanks:
It's really a shame that a farang has to take on the responsibility off enforcing parking laws.