Thai Business Logic

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thai Business Logic

Post by Khundon1975 »

StevePIraq wrote:If they can see you are not doing well the rent will stay much the same, once they see you have a successful business the rent skyrockets. My wife's sister was renting a little shop at 7k per month, she started doing a roaring trade, upon lease renewal the owner wanted 16k, so the sister closed and moved elsewhere.

Shortsighted and greedy
Why do people tar all Thais with the same brush!

We rented our beach front coffee shop from 1998 (4 bed,2 bath, large garden ETC for Baht 30,000 per month. No formal lease, just a hand shake between my wife and the Thai/Chinese owners.

The rent never went up and they are still renting the place to the family for Baht 30.000 per month, despite the business being very successful and making a lot of money.

Attached to our house was a mirror image house. The owners asked us if we wanted to rent it as well, we declined and the owners asked us if we would allow them to knock it down and build another house in it's place. Note, they asked us for permission.
When building works started, we carried on paying them 30.000 per month but they insisted on giving us back Baht 15.000 each month whilst works were going on. That lasted for 11 months.

Now, the family rent the new house plus another in the compound, both for 30.000 each.

Any time anything was required they carried out repairs straight away, no argument and always asking our permission before works were started. I put in 5 air con units and they insisted on giving me back the full installation costs.
I also changed both bathrooms, they paid for that. I built a carport for our cars, they paid for that.

Yes, there are some Thais who will ramp the rent up when they see money is being made, but the more far sighted Thais don't.
FIL and MIL rent out a lot of properties in BKK and HH, they set sensible rents fixed for 3 years, after which, the rents go up by around 10% which is fair. Why kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ That's the exception, way away from the rule...
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

My staff at the Lodge are responsible for collecting and sorting all the rubbish.
Glass bottles, cans, flat cardboard and plastic bottles.
Metal & others

It gets collected about once a month and paid for by the collector.
The money gets divied amongst the staff.

The staff realise that by keeping the place tidy - they get a bit extra pocket money :D
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, indeed, I've seen them doing a sterling job collecting them into the storage areas around the lakes. I've even deposited a few in the receptacles myself :wink: .

In the spirit of the thread, I bet they sell to the same person every time, and know exactly what to expect. What would they do if the buyer suddenly cut their reward in half? I'll bet he'd lose a customer, and they'd move somebody else in quick.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Khundon1975 wrote:
Khundon, you are right I should not have said it that way, not all Thais are the same, there are some very good and honest ones
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

On the bright side on Saturday I reported to 3B that my internet was down. Later the same day they phoned to say there was an external fault and the engineer would call and arrange a visit. Engineer arrived on Monday morning ,diagnosed that the line had been cut 72 meters away. He repaired that and returned to the house to ensure all was well. Later that day I received another call checking everything was in order. I call that excellent service. In the UK my experience was a wait of 7-10 days and when they show up they don't have the correct parts!
In my experience 3B's business model is fine by me.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Khundon1975 wrote:
StevePIraq wrote:If they can see you are not doing well the rent will stay much the same, once they see you have a successful business the rent skyrockets. My wife's sister was renting a little shop at 7k per month, she started doing a roaring trade, upon lease renewal the owner wanted 16k, so the sister closed and moved elsewhere.

Shortsighted and greedy

We rented our beach front coffee shop from 1998 (4 bed,2 bath, large garden ETC for Baht 30,000 per month. No formal lease, just a hand shake between my wife and the Thai/Chinese owners.

The rent never went up and they are still renting the place to the family for Baht 30.000 per month, despite the business being very successful and making a lot of money.

Attached to our house was a mirror image house. The owners asked us if we wanted to rent it as well, we declined and the owners asked us if we would allow them to knock it down and build another house in it's place. Note, they asked us for permission.
When building works started, we carried on paying them 30.000 per month but they insisted on giving us back Baht 15.000 each month whilst works were going on. That lasted for 11 months.

Now, the family rent the new house plus another in the compound, both for 30.000 each.

Any time anything was required they carried out repairs straight away, no argument and always asking our permission before works were started. I put in 5 air con units and they insisted on giving me back the full installation costs.
I also changed both bathrooms, they paid for that. I built a carport for our cars, they paid for that.

Yes, there are some Thais who will ramp the rent up when they see money is being made, but the more far sighted Thais don't.
FIL and MIL rent out a lot of properties in BKK and HH, they set sensible rents fixed for 3 years, after which, the rents go up by around 10% which is fair. Why kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

:cheers:
yes and am having the same type of GOOD experience with my thai landlords. one year in the house, everything easy. I was the one who was freaked out going in. But WAY BETTER THAN THE FARANG owners of my first house. :)
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Yes, I must say that I had way more problems in Hua Hin with farang's doing business than I did with Thais; in fact when I had to fire my European builder due to his being nearly 2 years late with no end in sight, it was Thai builders and tradesmen that we hired to finish the job and to correct mistakes and quality issues created by the western builder. Also, I had 3 Thai landlords during my time there and they were all fair and honest. Seriously, the only problems I had with any Thai were friends/family wanting to borrow money.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

From what I can gather, most Thai landlords are pretty straight for residential accommodation. I think many keep the letting rent the same until you move on. My daughter pays the same rent now as when she moved in over 10 years ago. Newcomers to the street are charged the going rate.

I think the problem comes when the property is used for a successful business. Even then I guess it's not all landlords.

Going back to the OP, it is not all re-cyclers. Just one, who saw a Farand, and thought they would make a quick buck. Other re-cyclers are still paying the correct rates.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18