A Thailand welcome

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
migrant
Addict
Addict

A Thailand welcome

Post by migrant »

Well we have been here at our new place in Bangsaphan about a week on our plan to live here.

Yesterday while driving, we saw a TOT truck on the road that goes from Why Not to the main street and decided to stop and ask about internet hookup. Currently we are sponging off our neighbors wifi (with their permission!).

Anyway the TOT truck was parked on the wrong side of the road maybe half on and half off the pavement. We pass the truck and swing in behind, perhaps 3-4 meters away. My wife starts to get out of the truck when "BANG" we were hit from behind. Seems the TOT driver backed up and didn't look.

He get's out, saying, "Sorry, sorry" and while no one was hurt the bumper on my FIL's truck was crumpled,and part of the quarterpanel pushed in.

My wife tried to call her Father, not knowing what to do. My concern was that he would disappear, and the many reports about falang always at fault. His truck had a damaged door on the back and he could barely open it.

We exchanged phone numbers, I called to make sure it was correct, and took pics. My wife couldn't reach her Father so she said that she would call the TOT driver later.

The driver started out very apologetic, but as the conversation went on he started saying it was partially our fault.

FIL said go to police and sort it out so at 4pm we went to the station and got the top man himself! He called the TOT driver and said be here at 5 sharp.

We left and returned at 5 but the TOT driver was not there. We were in the office that the Chief shared and he, and us, were the only ones there. At 5:15 the Chief said he had to take something to the hospital and we should wait. If the TOT driver shows he gave us his cell number to call.

So, there we were in the Chiefs (shared) office, all alone. I thought, "OK, if a crime occurs it's time to start the farang division of the Bangsaphan police department!!". Unfortunately all was quiet until around 5:50 when the Chief, and the TOT driver, returned.

The TOT driver immediately started to say how we were moving and it was as much our fault as his (I wondered if he saw us moving, why didn't he see us not to hit us?, but I kept quiet, which is difficult, but good for me to do). The Chief said we need to go to the scene of the accident and where was it? When we told him he started grumbling about how far it was, but we all saddled up and headed out.

He had us place the cars in the approximate position. The TOT driver immediately launched into a heated rant while my Wife tried to interject a few words. The Chief told him to be quiet and asked some questions of both. Within 15 minutes he told the TOT driver that it was all his fault, no question whatsoever. He then said the damage is about 5,000 baht worth and that the TOT driver needed to pay us now. The driver only had 2,400 on him and I told my wife I didn't want to take anyone's last baht, so we gave him back 1,000 and called it even. After the TOT driver was all "Thank you, thank you".

So, in our welcome to BS we found;

1) The TOT driver, while skewing the story a little, was straightforward and honest in fulfilling his obligation
2) The police Chief was very fair
3) The falang isn't always wrong!!

I know others experiences will vary, but a good result to an unfortunate situation
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: A Thailand welcome

Post by dtaai-maai »

Don't TOT have insurance cover for their extensive nationwide fleet of vehicles?
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

Bet you'll be getting 3BB internet now!

Kudos to the BSPD!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Why didn't you call your insurance company or the TOT head office. An insurance company sends an assessor.

Also how can it be a good result if estimated damage is 5000 baht and you accepted 2400 baht and gave the guy back 1000 baht cos you 'felt sorry' for him.

Sounds like you will be paying out of your own pocket now.

No wonder TOT driver was happy.

Strange story. Strange handling of situation.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Re:

Post by Name Taken »

dalmatiandave wrote:Strange story. Strange handling of situation.
Very strange indeed.
Got to love the seemingly non-stop drama here in Thailand. :roll:
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

As someone else mentions above, I find it very strange that your wife/gf didn't call the insurance company. My wife has herself been involved in a couple of minor accidents on the road, and she always call the agent. She says that it is hopeless to try to argue your case with another person. He will "always" be rigtht, same as probably her too. So a third party is always better.

Another thing in this case is that it is an official car for a big Thai company, so if he was at fault I think the prospect to get back all the money of full repair on his insurance is much greater than if it's a "poor" thai person, which leave me to ask, did your GF have proper insurance? This is an important question since I've come over many people driving without proper insurance.

And when it comes to using an agent/assessor from you insurance company, I have in both cases above been very pleased with how they handled my wife and her car.
YNWA
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Due to my Fil past accidents the insurance company would not cover the accident.
Also the driver was independent even though working for TOT and no insurance. Maybe could have argued the fact with them but wanted it done.

Yes there is out of pocket but considering some of the stories I have read with Falangs involved in accidents I am content. If the TOT driver really wanted to lie it would have been a he said you said situation that could have been much worse

That is why I am content with the outcome

Yes Buksida looks like 3bb for us!!

Yes I could have drained the drivers wallet but, again, he played it square.

Yes it sounds as if some of you would be out for blood and that is your way so if it happens to you I wish you luck.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
curlybaggie

Post by curlybaggie »

migrant wrote:Due to my Fil past accidents the insurance company would not cover the accident.
Also the driver was independent even though working for TOT and no insurance. Maybe could have argued the fact with them but wanted it done.

Yes there is out of pocket but considering some of the stories I have read with Falangs involved in accidents I am content. If the TOT driver really wanted to lie it would have been a he said you said situation that could have been much worse

That is why I am content with the outcome

Yes Buksida looks like 3bb for us!!

Yes I could have drained the drivers wallet but, again, he played it square.

Yes it sounds as if some of you would be out for blood and that is your way so if it happens to you I wish you luck.

He changed His story in an effort to save Himself, and you think He played it square? I think a lot of people would have taken His money just to teach Him a lesson.