You've been in Thailand too long if/when......

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Brit Jim
Professional
Professional

Re: You've been in Thailand too long if/when......

Post by Brit Jim »

The driving is Ok!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

An unknown farang walks up to you in Lotus and tells you he doesn't think you should be buying ham because pigs are smart, and you don't tell him to f--- off.

You give a polite response instead.
Brit Jim
Professional
Professional

Post by Brit Jim »

Bored with Soi 80!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Not to sure just what a scroll wheel is, but if you have one please keep off the footpath!
side walk.jpg
side walk.jpg (40.46 KiB) Viewed 712 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ no idea either, sounds like something strange from down under! The new law is ambiguous also 5,000 Baht fine for offenders except for first time offenders who will be warned!

How do they recognise a second time offender
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Bristolian wrote:^^ no idea either, sounds like something strange from down under! The new law is ambiguous also 5,000 Baht fine for offenders except for first time offenders who will be warned!

How do they recognise a second time offender
They give you :( sticker to wear.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bristolian wrote: no idea either, sounds like something strange from down under
Probably something that falls off a Fortuner! :rasta:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

A scroll wheel is the center control on a three button computer mouse. :? :? :?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I would think a Segway or hoverboard type device, although I've never seen any of the former here. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:I would think a Segway or hoverboard type device, although I've never seen any of the former here. Pete :cheers:
They are definitely available in Thailand. Also, Lazada sell the "mini" version, which is more of a hover board.
I think the security use the big one at Swampy airport.

http://www.yellowpages.co.th/en/profile/521436582091001

edit: http://www.segwaythai.com/
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I don't know if it still operates but there used to be a company in Bangkok offering Segway-powered tours.

Amusing as it is, "scroll wheel" is a typical failure of translation by officials who can't find an English speaker, or even a Thai-English dictionary, to check what they write. The correct translation in the poster should be, according to a dictionary, "wheeled vehicle". This could possibly include Segways.

The poster in the picture looks like a BMA one rather than police, and doesn't seem to be very effective anyway. No doubt somebody's friend got the printing contract, which was probably the object of the exercise.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I don't know if it still operates but there used to be a company in Bangkok offering Segway-powered tours.
Yes that is correct. I had completely forgotten about them, but I am not sure if they are still in business. There was also one in Chang Mai at one time.

http://www.segwaytourthailand.com/index.html
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Just imagine the challenge this will present! No self respecting motorsai rider is going to be able to resist that. In fact, from what I have seen, they will probably believe the disabled sign means a place for their wheels!
..........................................................................................................................
Poles in Din Daeng to curb motorcycles on pavements

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -pavements

Din Daeng district has installed metal poles on pavements reserved for pedestrians as city inspectors are too busy to chase down motorcyclists who break the rules and travel on the same space.

Small poles have been set up on footpaths in two locations -- in front of Viriyah Insurance Plc on Ratchdaphisek Road and in front of the Church of the Madonna of Fatima on Asoke Din Daeng Road two weeks ago, according to Din Daeng district chief Saisri Hirunprasertyut.

The spots were selected for a pilot study as the areas had often been used by motorcyclists, she added. The district is trying to follow deputy Bangkok governor Amnuay Nimmano's policy to keep pavements clear.

Called "S-Guards", the poles are placed in a narrow S-shape to ensure they bar motorcyclists from pavements but remain wide enough to allow pedestrians and wheelchair-users to pass through, Ms Saisri said.

Under the Maintaining Cleanliness and Tidiness of the City Act 1992, motorcyclists are not allowed to use pavements, which are reserved for pedestrians.....................................................>>>>>>>>>>>
footpath barrier.jpg
footpath barrier.jpg (42.65 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote:Under the Maintaining Cleanliness and Tidiness of the City Act 1992, motorcyclists are not allowed to use pavements, which are reserved for pedestrians.....................................................>>>>>>>>>>>
........... and for street vendors, extensions to shop frontage and parking their motorcycles :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Am I missing something?
How is the poor person in the wheelchair supposed to exit, are they supposed to hurl themselves over the poles blocking their exit?
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain