Thailand's Dhammakaya temple raided over corruption claim

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Thailand's Dhammakaya temple raided over corruption claim

Post by aragon »

These monks just get better and better :tsk: :tsk:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36545637
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
pharvey

Re: Thailand's Dhammakaya temple raided over corruption claim

Post by pharvey »

Quite something aren't they....... :banghead:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The police got there, were all set up but it was lunch time for the Monks, so they waited until they were finished eating! :shock: Quite nice of them. :roll: That's the last I've read. No idea what the status is...finished peacefully or they're bashing it out as we speak. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The following may be more accurate than local news:

Thousands gather at Thai temple as police fail to arrest abbot

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/318 ... est-abbot/

Bangkok (AFP) - Thousands of supporters of a wealthy and controversial Thai Buddhist sect rallied at the temple's space-age headquarters Thursday to successfully see off an attempt by police to arrest the movement's elderly abbot on fraud charges.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Just to be fair:

DSI calls off search of temple for Phra Dhammajayo

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... dhammajayo
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Police poised to arrest popular monk in dramatic showdown

Post by hhfarang »

Buddhist devotees sit outside the Wat Phra Dhammakaya temple in Pathum Thani province, north of Bangkok, Thailand, Thursday, June 16, 2016. Police entered the sprawling Buddhist temple complex after wading through thousands of devotees camped on the grounds to arrest a popular abbot accused of embezzling $14 million. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit) syndication.ap.org

BANGKOK (AP) - Thai police raided a Buddhist temple complex Thursday to arrest a popular abbot accused of embezzling $40 million but were thwarted by thousands of his followers who said he is too ill to be taken into custody.

The operation at Wat Dhammakaya, a monastery north of Bangkok known as one of the wealthiest in Thailand, began at 5 a.m. and was broadcast live on TV in a dramatic twist to a months-old standoff. But hours later police couldn't arrest the abbot, Phra Dhammachayo, after searching all the areas in the complex but one.

"There is a last area we could not enter because the followers would not allow us," said police Maj. Suriya Singhakamol, the deputy chief of the Department of Special Investigations.

Dhammachayo's case has enthralled the nation with its twists and turns and the conflict between law and religion it has posed. Several scandals in recent years have cast a shadow over the Buddhist clergy in Thailand.

Although the police withdrew for the day after the fruitless raid, Suriya said "our operation has not ended. The (arrest) warrant is still valid so we will have authority to carry out the operation. According to our information, he is still inside."

Dhammachayo is accused of money laundering and links to embezzling 1.4 billion baht ($40 million) from a now-defunct credit union. He has barricaded himself inside his temple, ignoring three police summonses and an arrest warrant. He has avoided arrest for over two months, claiming he was too ill to report to police for questioning. ..."

http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-polic ... own-2016-6
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My Thai wife said that if the person has done no wrong whether he is a monk or otherwise, then he should come forward and prove it.

One of the allegations against this temple is that the rules of Buddhism has been re-written. In that case, these are not Buddhists as are none of their followers. It is a sect and should be quashed now before it gets dangerous.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

It's high time that this lot were sorted out and made an example of. Nothing more than an arrogant rich cult that has defrauded thousands of people of their life savings. This whole farce is a very publicly embarrassing example of how rich/powerful people hold the law and due process in contempt here.

If it was some normal person/company or if this had happened in most other countries then the abbot/perpetrator would already have been defrocked/arrested and put on trial/sent to jail.

It should never have been allowed to go so far.......this isn't some Channel 3 soap opera. FFS!

:roll:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Have to ask just how far they will go with this:

Dhammajayo's followers to face prosecution

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/1 ... rosecution

Disciples of alleged money-laundering abbot Phra Dhammajayo will be prosecuted for obstructing officers of the law during their failed search of Wat Phra Dhammakaya on Thursday, Justice Minister Paiboon...

"There was obstruction. And barbed wire barriers were erected," he said. "Besides, we must consider that a rally was organised in a temple. The preparations show that they were not there for religious practice. Faces were covered by cloths.

"That showed they wanted to obstruct the arrest [of the abbot]. I told the director-general of the DSI to report that to the court," Gen Paiboon said.

..........................> more
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wrote on here many years ago about this cult's disciples in Swindon. They called all the local Thais (about a 40 mile radius) to a Buddhist ceremony in Swindon. The Thais loved it, and cooked loads of food for the monks - 1 turned up.

He had his feast, did his chanting and then went from Thai to Thai and told them how much they had to donate to this new temple that was being built. These donations were not Pounds, but hundreds of Pounds - we know one lady who donated over £40K.

This monk was making his demands based on the amount of gold the ladies were wearing, and believe me, when Thai ladies gather in the UK, it is something like return of the Incas. I can't remember exactly how much was demanded from Mrs BB, but it was either £250 or £500. When she told me, I just told her there was no way she was donating, and there was no way she was attending another of these gatherings again.

Of course, many of the ladies donated their gold, rather than lose face in front of the monk.

Similar meetings were being held all over Europe.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18