So... I'm Moving Back to England

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: So... I'm Moving Back to England

Post by Khundon1975 »

Good luck to you back in blighty GLCQuantum, sad that you, of all people, feel the need to go back to the UK. :(
You have always seemed to buck the trend with your lifestyle and in your posts on the forum, which I always found entertaining in many ways.

The list of reasons why you need to get out, I suspect, could apply to many expats in HH or other parts of the LOS, so you are not alone. It is just that for many they either get used to them, or, choose to ignore them.

"Being an alien" Well, aren't we all, compared to Thais. My wife of 17 years, still looks at me from time to time as though I'm from another planet.

Personally, after several years living in Thailand, our only reason for returning to the UK was for family reasons (elderly parents) and no other reason.
Unlike you, we did not need to work in Thailand, or UK, so did not find ourselves "working for 'precious' people who can't handle criticism" But I completely understand your frustration when dealing with some, not all, Thais.

Living in Thailand on a retirement visa never worried me and I always found the Immigration people very helpful. The thought of being kicked out, never crossed my mind.

Yes, the dirt and rubbish in some areas is awful but in general, not too bad. I think you will find that the UK is almost as bad in places now.

As for the Soi dogs, I found that a fixed stare and a large stick did the trick.

I have just come back from a visit to Thailand and Japan and was greeted to foul weather, rain and gales. But when I was away, I kind of missed it!

Joking aside, I think you will have a shock back in the UK, all political parties are shot and the country is in a kind of limbo until this EU thing is sorted. What the future holds in-store for the British people, heaven only knows, but we are about to find out.

I have never been to Harrogate, but I imagine that with many elderly residents living there, taking a stroll along the esplanade with all those old ladies sitting open legged and taking the air, you will smell the faint aroma of warm, slightly moist, winceyette.

Good luck CLC and keep in touch. :cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Don't worry GLC, it's not the Herne Bay of the North just that people think it is!!

Demographics compare favourably with the rest of England with the average age of 42

http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/statistics-h ... 16779.html
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So why Harrogate? It seems a fairly random choice, especially for somebody still quite young. Don't get me wrong, I lived in that area for 8 of the best years of my life. It used to be a lovely place.

In my case, work took me up there. Is it something similar for you?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

we dont hear much from people who move back home, most move and put Thai behind them, so it is nice to hear from you and HHF.The whole 'reverse culture shock' is very interesting. Just on visits you can feela litle.I am home at the moment--I heard 4 young chinese girls talking and thought--Wow their English is so good. So it should be in Toronto.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote:So why Harrogate? It seems a fairly random choice, especially for somebody still quite young. Don't get me wrong, I lived in that area for 8 of the best years of my life. It used to be a lovely place.

Only 10% of the population are over 65 compared with 22% in Herne Bay and 16% in the rest of England. He's never been to Harrogate although he has a friend there. People keep telling him that it's full of old people which is not at all true. 40% of the population are of working age with 20% at GLC's age! Unemployment is also very low. A great place to be.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

People keep telling him that it's full of old people which is not at all true.
It just looks that way from all the old people, like my Mother, going there to visit Betty's Tea Rooms! Actually I remember it as being a very nice place and it would be the sort of town I would go to if I had to live back in England.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

I think that HH has quite a few elderly residents :wink:
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Siani wrote:I think that HH has quite a few elderly residents :wink:

I bet HH has more over 60's than Harrogate by a long way Siani! And if Betty's in York is anything to go by it's a good half hour Q to get through the door.

But Khundon is right about the rubbish in the streets issue here in the UK. Yes there are places where people are tidy, but plenty of other towns and cities where the streets are a mess. I would like to think that Harrogate is one of the tidy ones.

And yes our political system is in a mess, but I believe we will overcome all that stuff and the Brexit. At least we aren't living under the rule of a Junta, which in some ways might even be better?

I have many memories of returning to the UK, some good - like the PiknMix in Woolies - some bad, like having your passport taken away into a back room at a Council office for god knows what scrutinising, and wishing there hadn't been so many monthly visa runs to Burma stamped in it.

Fortunately I had the background and experience to deal with all the obstacles, and had a job within a month. GLC might find the going bit more tough. but has youth on his side.

BTW GLC - if you do need any help with all the formalites back in the UK ask your Dad for my e mail address.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote:
Big Boy wrote:So why Harrogate? It seems a fairly random choice, especially for somebody still quite young. Don't get me wrong, I lived in that area for 8 of the best years of my life. It used to be a lovely place.

Only 10% of the population are over 65 compared with 22% in Herne Bay and 16% in the rest of England. He's never been to Harrogate although he has a friend there. People keep telling him that it's full of old people which is not at all true. 40% of the population are of working age with 20% at GLC's age! Unemployment is also very low. A great place to be.
My comment wasn't directed at an elderly population - I was only 26 when work took me that way. My comment simply meant that many younger people aim for the bright lights, and while I like Harrogate a lot, it's not the sort of place you move 6,000 miles to live without good reason.

The fact he has a friend there already, should be reason enough.

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

STEVE G wrote:
People keep telling him that it's full of old people which is not at all true.
It just looks that way from all the old people, like my Mother, going there to visit Betty's Tea Rooms! Actually I remember it as being a very nice place and it would be the sort of town I would go to if I had to live back in England.
Now we know why GLC picked the town!

Good Luck GLC, I hope you find what you're looking for :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

margaretcarnes wrote:
Siani wrote:I think that HH has quite a few elderly residents :wink:

I bet HH has more over 60's than Harrogate by a long way Siani! And if Betty's in York is anything to go by it's a good half hour Q to get through the door.

But Khundon is right about the rubbish in the streets issue here in the UK. Yes there are places where people are tidy, but plenty of other towns and cities where the streets are a mess. I would like to think that Harrogate is one of the tidy ones.

And yes our political system is in a mess, but I believe we will overcome all that stuff and the Brexit. At least we aren't living under the rule of a Junta, which in some ways might even be better?

I have many memories of returning to the UK, some good - like the PiknMix in Woolies - some bad, like having your passport taken away into a back room at a Council office for god knows what scrutinising, and wishing there hadn't been so many monthly visa runs to Burma stamped in it.

Fortunately I had the background and experience to deal with all the obstacles, and had a job within a month. GLC might find the going bit more tough. but has youth on his side.

BTW GLC - if you do need any help with all the formalites back in the UK ask your Dad for my e mail address.
:lach:
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Well, I did some research on the clientele at Betty' :P

Looks like a good place for you to meet people :wink:

Also not a "fat bottomed girl" in sight :wink: Maybe after the cakes :)

CTA3-lady-betty-afternoon-tea.jpg
CTA3-lady-betty-afternoon-tea.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Attachments
images (3).jpg
images (3).jpg (14.72 KiB) Viewed 742 times
images (4).jpg
images (4).jpg (12.21 KiB) Viewed 742 times
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

And more women than men in Harrogate!!!
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Would they be publicity photos by any chance?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

arcadianagain wrote:Would they be publicity photos by any chance?
If they aren't, there's a hell of a lot of cakes on the cake stand on each table.

Points 41; Position 18