Govt and private agencies meet about decriminalizing marijuana

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Govt and private agencies meet about decriminalizing marijuana

Post by buksida »

A new movement by both government and private organizations may lead to the decriminalization of marijuana in the near future for its pain-relief benefits.

At a public forum on Monday about the possible decriminalization, four agencies all agreed that marijuana should be pulled from the list of illegal Category 5 drugs.

This does not mean that we’re about to be hanging out at weed cafes a la Amsterdam, but the movement will at least decriminalize it. Whether or how the drugs will be controlled still needs to be figured out.

The four organizations that sent representatives to the meeting were the Crime Suppression Police, Drug Suppression Police, National Agricultural Council and officials from the Council of State.

According to the current Narcotic Act B.E. 2522, the possession of marijuana for any reason could lead to five years imprisonment and/or a fine of THB100,000. The consumption of marijuana could land you one year in prison and/or a fine of THB20,000.

Dr. Somnuek Siripantong, who researches marijuana as treatment for cancer, said there is a group in Thailand called “Marijuana Users” that uses medical marijuana to provide relief to children suffering from epilepsy, muscle weakness and cancer and that these children have had some good results from the natural remedy, Daily News reported.

Meanwhile, Pol. Maj. Gen. Supakij Srichantaranon, Deputy Commander of Drugs Suppression Police, said the Department of Public Health will need to issue additional laws to control the drugs.

The National Agricultural Council will gather more information and submit their proposal to decriminalize marijuana to the cabinet for consideration, MThai reported.

Source: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/24/g ... -marijuana
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Re: Govt and private agencies meet about decriminalizing marijuana

Post by PeteC »

My initial reaction is that they'll tie it up with so much red tape most will still get it from their neighborhood supplier rather than controlled distributors. Hopefully I'm wrong. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I'd love to see it. Especially for medical purposes.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I believe it has some medical use in palliative care but as far as recreational use goes, it's surely a bit behind the times, I don't know anyone who smokes anything anymore, let alone weed; it's not the 1960's!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It seems everywhere I go, a joint is being passed around. The beach, bars, etc. It's certainly not a thing of the past! You must lead a sheltered life, Steve.

I don't, by the way. But don't have a good argument against it.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote:It seems everywhere I go, a joint is being passed around. The beach, bars, etc. It's certainly not a thing of the past!....
There are plenty of people left over from the 1960's in Hua Hin!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

the state of colorado legalised it and ha had a huge rise in rate incme from the sales tax on it
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

California has legalized medical use, yet the feds still do not allow it. It makes an interesting conflict. Generally the feds leave the "dispensary's alone, but periodically will close a place down.

From what I hear one needs a medical card, but they are easy to get, anyone who asks can get one.

Because of the fed laws they can't have a bank account so have to play many games
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

The US Veterans Administration does not allow it and performs random drug testing on parients. Especially those being treated for pain.

The federal government much prefers keeping Vets addicted to opiates like Oxycodone.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

GLC may want to reconsider his move...
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

From what i see on UK TV, the police in UK dont press charges for small amounts for personal use...to be fair i have seen many more angry and violent drunks than anyone having a smoke back in UK.