Jumping through hoops in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe on point 3 - AFAIK the rest is still the same. Yes, there are hoops to jump through in preparation, but once you've done that its plain sailing. I'll be extending my my visa and reporting every 90 days without health cover etc until I die.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote:
crazy88 wrote:Try taking your Thai GF to your country and you will know what hoops are.

Crazy 88
I was thinking a fair post, until I came to this. Mrs BB lived quite happily in my country, without much of the red tape we have to deal with here in Thailand. I have no problem with most of the Thai red tape, but Mrs BB often rolls her eyes at what goes on here. Just a few examples:

- Free NHS
- Allowed to work without work permit
- We re-newed her visa once, and the she had indefinite stay status
- No reporting to anybody every 3 months
- Automatic welfare - Family Allowance, Old Age Pension etc

Honestly, taking my wife (girlfriend at the time) to the UK was so much easier, red tape wise, than living here.
And after the required 4 years, apply for citizenship by post and then a British passport. Both my wife and her daughter had no problems.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

HHTel wrote:And after the required 4 years, apply for citizenship by post and then a British passport.
And that, unfortunately, is a prime reason why the country is so screwed up these days :banghead:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Possibly, but the statement was, "Try taking your Thai GF to your country and you will know what hoops are." Just pointing out that it isn't as bad as some obviously think. Meet the requirements, and it is difficult for them to refuse. Brown envelopes are not required to circumvent the perceived hoops.

Points 41; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Same with the U.S. Lots of paperwork and immigration visits up front, but once my wife (then fiance) was admitted to the U.S. she was given a 10 year green card with nothing else to do in that time frame... no 90 day reporting, no annual visa renewing, no additional paperwork needed to leave the U.S. and come back. Then applied and got citizenship easily by taking a test and having a quick interview.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

BB

I have never tried to do it myself but have watched Thai friends go through the process. One was refused despite bank records showing regular income over years and enough capital remaining in the account, an address in the UK with relevant letter provided and proof in her passport she had visited other European countries in the past.

The other owned a 9m Bt condo, a car, a house and a regular income. Visited Canada multiple times. Was refused a visa 3 times and gave up after ridiculous amounts of paperwork and visits to Bangkok. That was for a short holiday and again with a sponsor at the other end.

They both raised the point that I can come here and get a visa on arrival with no proof of anything whilst they have to go through convoluted processes just to go on holiday to visit friends. I did get asked once for an onward ticket and simply told them I would buy one when I decided where to go next. Stamp, stamp, job done.

All that said I also have friends with Thai partners living in the UK and it did not appear that complex. There again they are legally married so probably easier.

Crazy 88
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

If people aren't successful with a visa application to the UK, there are usually two reasons - the first being they don't qualify for the visa they are applying for and the 2nd and most common is because they haven't completed the visa application as fully as required.

I belong to a forum where we here often from the latter who then go on to successfully make a further application.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

crazy88 wrote:BB

I have never tried to do it myself but have watched Thai friends go through the process. One was refused despite bank records showing regular income over years and enough capital remaining in the account, an address in the UK with relevant letter provided and proof in her passport she had visited other European countries in the past.

The other owned a 9m Bt condo, a car, a house and a regular income. Visited Canada multiple times. Was refused a visa 3 times and gave up after ridiculous amounts of paperwork and visits to Bangkok. That was for a short holiday and again with a sponsor at the other end.

They both raised the point that I can come here and get a visa on arrival with no proof of anything whilst they have to go through convoluted processes just to go on holiday to visit friends. I did get asked once for an onward ticket and simply told them I would buy one when I decided where to go next. Stamp, stamp, job done.

All that said I also have friends with Thai partners living in the UK and it did not appear that complex. There again they are legally married so probably easier.

Crazy 88
Likewise, I have never been refused a visa to the UK (7 successful applications).

People tend to think that money talks - it doesn't. If money was the answer, I'd have probably failed 7 times.

Fill in the paperwork correctly (probably helped that I was a Civil Servant, and used to such form filling), and present the relevant evidence, and you'll be fine. If they ask for A and you give them B, you are not going to pass. I agree some of the questions are pretty stupid, and your wife/girlfriend won't know the correct answer, but you have to enter something feasible, and make sure you are both aware of the given answer. Owning a a 9m Bt condo, a car, a house and a regular income means diddly squat if you can't put down your girlfriend's parent's names, dates of birth, where born etc.

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I think the whole process of getting a UK visa is easier now then it was say 20 years ago. My old g/f was turned down twice. I took the matter to my MP - he was turned down by The Home Office. So, I came here in exasperation.
My now wife has had no issues with her family visa on two occasions. Done and dusted in 3-5 days.
However, I suppose this thread is about hoops in Thailand.
I've been here for over 18 years now and there's just no security. Sure, I get my annual retirement extension every year and that's fairly painless. But there's never any guarantee that the financial requirements won't be raised in the future and also no guarantee that I'll be grandfathered in.
Hoops? I'd prefer some long term peace of mind other than the Elite Card or the alternative the authorities have been talking about recently.
Until the authorities here accept that many of us have made this country our own, we're always going to have to be in a certain state of limbo.
If the proverbial hits the fan, then I'll just grab my money belt and go. Hoops are nothing. A bit of security would be better.
Having said that, I'm happy here but would be prepared to leave everything behind (wow, golf clubs, some books, some clothes - that's it).