Does being an Expat make you miserable?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Re: Does being an Expat make you miserable?

Post by Felipesed1 »

Personally I would be more concerned about residents of Pattaya coming to Huahin.
It does seem to attract a lot of criminal falang, and the Thai people that feast off them.
Phuket would appear to be a close second in terms of attracting "undesirables".
Lets keep the criminal element in Huahin to a minimum; there are a few here already, we don't need anymore.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

HHTel wrote:The older you get, the more there is to whinge about. Doesn't mean we're miserable. Just part of getting old!!

Re the ferry, I believe the only real complaint is the price. RCER, there was some info (can't be bothered to look for it) that the initial ferry is passengers only and transport carrying ferries are planned for the future depending on the success of project.
I just watched the video on the other thread. That boat looks like its strictly a people mover. Not what I imagined a ferry would look like and far to small for bikes and cars. Plus no roll on, roll off deck.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think being miserable and being a naysayer are two different things - the latter being largely justified here.

As for the ferry, I have no interest in going to Patts so it doesn't really bother me, If however, it does eventually go to Bkk and there are good transport links provided, then that would be of interest.

Also if the ferry does morph into one for cars, then Patts being a gateway for that part of Thailand to it's south, would be of interest.

However, I would hate all of that if a road to the fishing port is created along the front where the piers are, which would change the character of Hua Hin forever.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote:I think being miserable and being a naysayer are two different things
Debatable. IMHO miserable old gits tend to disagree with things just for the sake of it.

I intend using the ferry, but only en-route to somewhere i.e. not Pattaya.

However, there are activities in Pattaya outside of the obvious that my son takes part in, so I won't say I'll never use the ferry just to visit Pattaya.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote:
caller wrote:I think being miserable and being a naysayer are two different things
Debatable. IMHO miserable old gits tend to disagree with things just for the sake of it.

I intend using the ferry, but only en-route to somewhere i.e. not Pattaya.

However, there are activities in Pattaya outside of the obvious that my son takes part in, so I won't say I'll never use the ferry just to visit Pattaya.
Agree, the bar scene in Pattaya has no appeal to us, but I envision the ferry use to visit other areas
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My kids loved Pattaya, a place we always stopped for a few days on our tours. It's not all bars/girls etc. There is a lot of family stuff outside the bar area. Water parks, theme parks, shows and more. Pattaya has a bad reputation based on media reporting of the 'night life', but it's not all like that. Each time we've been we have a great time as a family but never visit the beach road soi's. Everybody to their own.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Funny, I originally wrote the OP on the Ferry thread, but decided the question was much wider ranging than that. Many comments are taking us back to the ferry :?

I guess most initiatives tend to work eventually, and the naysayers (me included) are proved wrong. One initiative that still has to work IMO is the improvement to Petchkasem Road. It has to be the worst designed road for many miles. The only saving grace is that they've built/identified many rat runs that allow you to by-pass the mess they've created on Petchkasem.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Well, I quite enjoy having a good moan every once in a while, but I can't recall myself ever moaning or criticizing things like the airport, the high-speed train, or the ferry. My moaning is almost entirely about the fact that the whole bloody country gets water apart from our road, or at least, a section of section of our road. My other occasional gripe concern soi dogs, but even they don't cause me to moan very often.

The way I see it is, the more time you spend moaning, the less time you have for laughing and being happy.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Takiap wrote:Well, I quite enjoy having a good moan every once in a while, but I can't recall myself ever moaning or criticizing things like the airport, the high-speed train, or the ferry. My moaning is almost entirely about the fact that the whole bloody country gets water apart from our road, or at least, a section of section of our road. My other occasional gripe concern soi dogs, but even they don't cause me to moan very often.

The way I see it is, the more time you spend moaning, the less time you have for laughing and being happy.

:cheers:
Best line I have read in a long time. ( and Im moaning sometimes to ) :wink:

:cheers: :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Takiap wrote:The way I see it is, the more time you spend moaning, the less time you have for guzzling beer and being happy.
Fixed the spelling for you. :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I really only have one gripe. I can't understand how having cell phones and internet is more important than safe drinking water.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Judging by my experience with elderly relatives in the UK, you don't have to emigrate to be miserable, just stay at home and complain constantly about everything that's changed since about the 1950's!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

it's not the change per se, it's the results of the change that make things worse i.e. more difficult & more expensive instead of better.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Living there or being an expat there certainly made me a miserable old whining git. Now that I'm away, I seldom complain about anything and have a much rosier outlook on life.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Nereus wrote:
Takiap wrote:The way I see it is, the more time you spend moaning, the less time you have for guzzling beer and being happy.
Fixed the spelling for you. :thumb:
:thumb: :thumb: :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact