Why do so many Thais look down on tourist / foreigners?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Why do so many Thais look down on tourist / foreigners?

Post by STEVE G »

Personally, I think racism and/or looking down on others, has its roots in patriotism, a concept that teaches people to believe they are better than those from other countries. In some cases, it has to do with the here and now, while in other cases it has to do with the past.
“Patriotism is, fundamentally, a conviction that a particular country is the best in the world because you were born in it....”
― George Bernard Shaw
golferstu

Post by golferstu »

The real reason is probably because of the way the whole Thai nation suddenly and quickly industrialized, at the onset of a burgeoning tourist influx. Not ideal and not a primary issue.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

the real reason is probably because that's how humans are brought up and taught to believe. every country same, same.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

swoods4211
Novice
Novice

Re: RE: Re: Why do so many Thais look down on tourist / foreigners?

Post by swoods4211 »

bsdk1960 wrote:Maybe because of this 8)

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-new ... ad-image-0

:cheers: :cheers:
This is the sort of Thai crap that s***s me. The average tourist would have no idea it was offensive, yet Thais get all upset. Yet Thais have names like Moo (pig) which would be highly offensive to westerners. Thais gave no problem calling people fat either and rubbing fat people's stomachs, again highly offensive, yet most visitors let it slide and take it with good humour. It's a big world out there. We can all learn from each other.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

oakdale160 wrote:You ask--Is there some kind of racism going on? Of course there is. It is part of Thainess. In all fairness this is not justa Thai thing but an Asian thing--they feel no shame at having and expressing racist/xenophibic attitides-- In Japan, Korea and China it is much the same.

I very good point and a correct observation in my experience, What is interesting about it is that there is no consideration about political correctness, i.e its quite OK to have biased attitudes
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.