Retirement - what to do?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Retirement - what to do?

Post by hhfarang »

Midlandmike, if they are retired and bored when here, what will they do differently in their home country to alleviate the boredom ?
Pagey, they probably have lifelong friends, family, favorite restaurants, habits, sports etc. that they enjoy back home and feel comfortable with. One of the biggest mistakes people make when they retire is moving, even Americans from one state to another (like to Florida). You're leaving all your friends and familiar places behind; retirement should be comfortable and not having to deal with new previously unknown issues every day. It should be enjoyed with your friends, family, and all the same hobbies and sports you enjoyed before you retired. When people get older, they need that familiar support even more and what do most do?... Move away from it and become unhappy or bored. I've seen it happen with many people and I've seen it shorten their lives.

I also agree with Buksida..... but only if you're young like he is. Retirement is different. With a young family and a decent job or income I can understand how you can enjoy the travel near Thailand. Frankly, I'm not interested in going to another tropical country just like this one but with different customs. I crave western civilization like a lot have admitted now that I have opened the door to that conversation.

My wife is not interested in that either. Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Viet Nam are all just different variations of Thailand. She wants to go to Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and back to the U.S.A. :duck:

Caller has a point in that last post. The happiest retirees I know here (Canada, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, etc.,) come here for 3 or 4 months a year during their bad winters and spend the rest of their time in familiar surroundings. If you can afford that, I think it's the best way to go.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

hhfarang wrote:
Midlandmike, if they are retired and bored when here, what will they do differently in their home country to alleviate the boredom ?
Pagey, they probably have lifelong friends, family, favorite restaurants, habits, sports etc. that they enjoy back home and feel comfortable with.

A polite response.

[quote

I also agree with Buksida..... but only if you're young like he is. Retirement is different. With a young family and a decent job or income I can understand how you can enjoy the travel near Thailand. Frankly, I'm not interested in going to another tropical country just like this one but with different customs. I crave western civilization like a lot have admitted now that I have opened the door to that conversation. [/quote]

Quite agree, at the tender age of sixty-eight I find the one hour flight to the North-East, to visit my wife's family, an absolute pain.
A few years ago it didn't bother me in the least.

[quote
Caller has a point in that last post. The happiest retirees I know here (Canada, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, etc.,) come here for 3 or 4 months a year during their bad winters and spend the rest of their time in familiar surroundings. If you can afford that, I think it's the best way to go.[/quote]

Yes, I see many Scandinavians in Cha-Am returning year after year to both escape their awful winters and to meet up with old friends.
Most of them 'escape' pre Christmas and return around Easter time - thoroughly recommended, IMO, if you can afford it.

Apologies for the EDIT facility playing up.
RAGE_715

Post by RAGE_715 »

Well, as I'm due to arrive in HH in 3 weeks with my hubby, I would hope that all those who are not bored on a day to day basis are too busy to type on the forum, with their daily lives.

Seriously though, we're going to give it a try, hopefully for as long as we can, but only renting, so, if boredom sets in, we can try somewhere busier like Phuket or quieter like Chiang Mai. We've even decided that if necessary, we could return to Europe, but probably not back to the UK. A warmer country would be our choice, like Spain, Greece or Malta maybe.

I was brought up in Borneo as a kid which was fine, but I know, even back in the 60's my mother was so bored every day, as my brother and I were at boarding school, and dad was a pilot so never home. Mum took up golf, tennis, amateur dramatics, swimming, but also smoking and drinking heavily.

I hope to avoid being a boozy bird
:?
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

RAGE_715 wrote:Well, as I'm due to arrive in HH in 3 weeks with my hubby, I would hope that all those who are not bored on a day to day basis are too busy to type on the forum, with their daily lives.

Seriously though, we're going to give it a try, hopefully for as long as we can, but only renting, so, if boredom sets in, we can try somewhere busier like Phuket or quieter like Chiang Mai. We've even decided that if necessary, we could return to Europe, but probably not back to the UK. A warmer country would be our choice, like Spain, Greece or Malta maybe.

I was brought up in Borneo as a kid which was fine, but I know, even back in the 60's my mother was so bored every day, as my brother and I were at boarding school, and dad was a pilot so never home. Mum took up golf, tennis, amateur dramatics, swimming, but also smoking and drinking heavily.

Why do you find it necessary to post in colour?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Pagey wrote:Midlandmike, if they are retired and bored when here, what will they do differently in their home country to alleviate the boredom ?
Possibly have some friends.

I would bet my last penny that those complaining about boredom here, couldn't be arsed to learn the language/culture (you can only really try to understand the culture once you've learnt the language). Then they wonder (stamp, moan, cry and complain) why it's so unpleasant for them.

:roll:
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

nanyang wrote:
RAGE_715 wrote:Well, as I'm due to arrive in HH in 3 weeks with my hubby, I would hope that all those who are not bored on a day to day basis are too busy to type on the forum, with their daily lives.

Why do you find it necessary to post in colour?
Why do you care what colour it is? :D Maybe it's her favourite colour. :rasta:
RAGE_715

Post by RAGE_715 »

I don't find it necessary to post in any particular colour, but I've used this colour on forums for 15 years.

I don't think I need to explain to you why I do so, but as colours are on offer, why not use them? Don't sound so grumpy!

You're on your way back to Europe, you can be grumpy there :)
!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I would bet my last penny that those complaining about boredom here, couldn't be arsed to learn the language/culture
Then you'd owe your last penny. My wife is also bored and complaining about Thailand and wants to go back to the U.S., even more than I do. She is Thai, born and raised and is the reason we moved here in the first place. After nine years back she yearns for real civilization and will be happy to visit Thailand once every couple of years on holiday.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Fair enough HHFarang. I would still say that the majority of people who really dislike the place can't communicate with the locals and have no solid friend base. I'm fortunate... my family lives out here, as does my best friend of 15 years and I also have a good group of Thai's that I'm friendly with. I said this before that, if I didn't speak Thai, my experience here would be a hell of a lot different. Like everyone I get pissed off about little things every now and then (when will they stop walking so bloody slowly in front of me :D )... but that's all they really are - little things.

:cheers:
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

GLCQuantum wrote:Fair enough HHFarang. I would still say that the majority of people who really dislike the place can't communicate with the locals and have no solid friend base. I'm fortunate... my family lives out here, as does my best friend of 15 years and I also have a good group of Thai's that I'm friendly with. I said this before that, if I didn't speak Thai, my experience here would be a hell of a lot different. Like everyone I get pissed off about little things every now and then (when will they stop walking so bloody slowly in front of me :D )... but that's all they really are - little things.

I really don't think learning the Thai language would be very beneficial or easy for a person over the age of 60. :roll:
But it's up to the person/individual if he/she wants to learn the Thai language.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Name Taken wrote: I really don't think learning the Thai language would be very beneficial or easy for a person over the age of 60. :roll:
But it's up to the person/individual if he/she wants to learn the Thai language.
Easy?.. no.

Beneficial?... of course it would be.

Bizarre!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

GLCQuantum wrote:
Pagey wrote:Midlandmike, if they are retired and bored when here, what will they do differently in their home country to alleviate the boredom ?
Possibly have some friends.

I would bet my last penny that those complaining about boredom here, couldn't be arsed to learn the language/culture (you can only really try to understand the culture once you've learnt the language). Then they wonder (stamp, moan, cry and complain) why it's so unpleasant for them.

:roll:
GLCQuantum wrote:Fair enough HHFarang. I would still say that the majority of people who really dislike the place can't communicate with the locals and have no solid friend base.
GLCQuantum wrote:
Name Taken wrote: I really don't think learning the Thai language would be very beneficial or easy for a person over the age of 60. :roll:
Easy?.. no.
Beneficial?... of course it would be.
Bizarre!
GLCQ, you are far too dismissive of people who don't speak Thai.
I would still say that the majority of people who really dislike the place can't communicate with the locals and have no solid friend base.
This is obviously nothing more than guesswork. Inaccurate guesswork at that, unless your social circle consists largely of people more than twice your age who are unhappy with their lot.
GLCQuantum wrote: I'm fortunate... my family lives out here, as does my best friend of 15 years and I also have a good group of Thai's that I'm friendly with. I said this before that, if I didn't speak Thai, my experience here would be a hell of a lot different.
Yes, you are fortunate. You also seem to forget that you have pretty much nothing at all in common with the people you are putting down. You can add to the above that you are young(ish), single, working and probably have a flair for languages.

Not everyone can learn a second language. It's difficult enough to learn a European language, but ten times more so to learn Thai. And even more difficult when you get past the first flush of youth!

And what can you possibly know of retirement? These people have worked hard for 40 years or more to get themselves in a position to enjoy their retirement. Why should everyone else love it here just because you do? And don't forget the financial crisis, the falling pound/Euro/dollar and rising prices in Thailand all take their toll.

I almost want to say you should show a bit of respect, but that would be silly, so I'll just suggest that you not be in such a rush to condemn.
This is the way
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Thanks for the long winded reply Dtaii Maii. I suppose I should respect the fact you put so much effort into putting me down.

You have absolutely no idea of my situation and the people I have seen so less of the guesswork. The complainers are always the same type of people. You can literally ring off each aspect of their retirement problems through one conversation.

I was not putting people down who don't learn the language. Actually I will just say it's downright disrespectful to the hosts of the country they are living in. These same people (the Brits) whinge on about the immigrants in England who can't piece together a sentence whilst knocking back their third bottle of the day and clicking their fingers at the waitress.

Gotta go and do some work now so I'll continue later... Yes, I'm sure Mr Perfect (that's you Dtaii Maii) will be waiting in anticipation.

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Well, you beat me to it, dtaai-maai! Very well put! I was holding my temper with this, and too busy looking for car questions. :rasta:
But never mind, some of the younger ones that have made self centered comments MAY grow up one day!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!