airline ticket

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
vistana

airline ticket

Post by vistana »

Does anyone know if the Thai Immigration will let a UK citizen enter Thailand if they don't have a return ticket, ie we buy a one way ticket from the Uk and when in Thailand we buy a return ticket as i believe the prices are a lot cheaper ..... any advise or information would be much appreciated.

Is it easy for a UK citizen to get a work permit for Thailand as well? I have a Thai partner if that makes any difference.

Hope someone will be able to give me some advice.

Thanks

Vistana
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Thai immigration have never in my experience checked my return or onward ticket out of Thailand; however most airlines at your initial departure point will insist on it, I assume because of instruction from Thai immigration! However if you have a one way ticket many airlines will let you buy an onward ticket to, for example, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore, which you will be able to refund in Thailand - I have done this once in the past (with Gulf Air if I remember correctly). I am not sure if this next bit is correct, but I think it used to be the case that if you had a proper visa issued in your departure country (and this could be anything from a tourist visa up) then you do not need an onward or return ticket - the best bet would be to check with the Thai Embassy or Consulate in your country, and also with your intended airline.

As far as the work permit goes I believe that your intended employer in Thailand has to make the application, and you also need to have a non-immigrant B visa first which you will need a letter from your intended employer to get. However I have never done any of that so someone who has can advise you better.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The above is correct, you need a letter from your prospective employer in Thailand to get a non immigrant B visa before you get here. When here you can apply for the work permit with this.

Having a Thai partner wont help you unless they own a company and can issue you this letter of employment and pay you the minimum salary for a forigner, 50,000 baht per month (which you will be taxed on).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Can't help you with the work permit, but what Wanderlust says about return/onward flights is correct.
It's only if you're coming over to get a 30 day stamp that you need the evidence and it's the airline that will stop you boarding. No problem with a "proper" visa.
vistana

Airline ticket / work permits

Post by vistana »

Thanks everyone for your replies I will give the Thai Embassy a call in London to get more info.

As far as working goes.... I was thinking about starting a small business with my partner (Thai) just to earn a bit of pocket money! etc, how would I go about doing that, and would I still need the same visa?

On a seperate note has anyone had any experience of the cabinet company .... we are thinking of using them to install a water heater and pipework etc, the quote looks pretty good.... but personal recomendations are always better, any info on their workmanship would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Vistana
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Re: Airline ticket / work permits

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

vistana wrote:
On a seperate note has anyone had any experience of the cabinet company .... we are thinking of using them to install a water heater and pipework etc, the quote looks pretty good.... but personal recomendations are always better, any info on their workmanship would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Vistana
Check out the post from Jaime at

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1223
buksida

Re: Airline ticket / work permits

Post by buksida »

vistana wrote: As far as working goes.... I was thinking about starting a small business with my partner (Thai) just to earn a bit of pocket money! etc, how would I go about doing that, and would I still need the same visa?
As far as I know ...

If you want to own part of the company and work then you need a 49(Foreign):51(Thai) company, 2 million baht capital, employ 5 Thai nationals and pay income tax on 50,000 baht a month earnings. You also need the non-imm B visa and work permit.

If you want to put the entire company in your partners name (100% Thai com
pany) you can't work for it and you don't need most of the above, but you also don't legally own any of it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

There is planned to be an article regarding the 49/51 % shareholding in a farang/Thai business written by a lawyer in the September issue of the Observer magazine (it missed the August deadline) which may be of assistance when considering starting a business in Thailand. I would also strongly recommend that you consult a good and proper lawyer about this as many businesses over here have not been set up correctly because people used unqualified 'legal advisors'. At present anyone can legally set up a 'law office' in Thailand and offer this type of service regardless of whether they have any qualifications, so be careful!
cockneyrebel

One-Way Ticket

Post by cockneyrebel »

Hi, just to put a spanner in the works......I came to Thailand in Nov 03' on a Non Immigrant type 'O' visa (it could've been a Non-type 'B' not 100% sure now) and a one-way ticket.

Nobody queried the one-way ticket, either here or in BKK.

I intended staying and buying a business at the time but didn't. I left in May last year and bought a return ticket from BKK to LHR as it was almost cheaper than buying a single.

Maybe the rules have changed since then?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Hi cockneyrebel,
That's what Wanderlust and I were saying. You don't need a return or onward ticket if you've got a Tourist or Non O visa.