Retire

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
FarEastAndy
Novice
Novice

Retire

Post by FarEastAndy »

Hi all,

Great forum and site.

I would like to ask if there is such a thing as a retirement visa? I plan to semi-retire in about 2 years and would like to move to HH. I'm British, living in China and have no intention to retire here in the land of the carpet spitters.
Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy
Thats fried rice you Plick
buksida

Post by buksida »

Hi Andy and welcome aboard.
There certainly is a retirement visa, main criteria are:

1) Age: over 50
2) 800,000 baht in a Thai bank or 65,000 baht monthly income.

Full details

Criteria for retirement visa

Initially you must apply for a Non-Immigrant visa before you enter the country from a Thai Embassy abroad. Permission will be for 90 days. for the first permit (single entry) but you can apply for a multiple max one year stay in Thailand.

Requirements:

1. Application form T.M.7
2. Copy of passport or substitute document.
3. One 4 x 6 cm photo.
4. 500 baht fee.
5. Proof of financial status or pension.
6. Letter from your embassy saying you wish to retire in Thailand For an applicant who is over 50 years old, proof of a sum of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank OR an income of not less than 65,000 baht per month must be presented - OR a combination of balance in the bank and a monthly income. Example: 400,000 Baht in the bank and 32,500 Baht coming in every month.
7. If the alien is ill, or has weak health and is sensitive to colder climates or has resided in Thailand for a long period, and is 50-59 years old, special circumstances may be given. The applicant must also submit medical certificates and proof that he/she lived in Thailand for a long time. For info: Tel: (02) 287-3905 or 287-3101-10 (ext 2259-61) or ask us.

Pensioners arriving before Oct 1998 with unbroken records while living here only need 200,000 baht in a Thai Bank when they apply for an extension.

A foreigner must show evidence that he/she has income amounting to at least 65,000 baht per month or a bank account amounting to at least of 800,000 baht in cash when initially applying for a one-year visa;

Ready the same day

With all the required documents in hand, and the bank certification dated the same date the applicant goes to the Immigration office, the one year Retirement Visa is usually ready in an hour or so, the same day. Until early 2002 year it took 3 or 4 months - now, many of the Immigration offices have authority to issue the one year Retirement Visa without sending the applications, etc. to Bangkok - i.e. issue them the same day.

Note:
The bank certification of deposit (of 800,000 baht) must show that the money came into the bank from another country.

In the case of applications for one-year extensions of stay, or applications to change Tourist Visas or Transit Visas to Non-Immigrant Visas, evidence must be provided by each applicant that he/she has income or bank deposit in the same amounts as indicated in category 1 above.

RETIREES & THEIR SPOUSES:

Retirees who are married to a foreigner eg. Englishman married to say a Phillipino can apply for his "O" status non immigrant visa under the normal criteria of 800,000 baht or 65,000 baht coming in each month. However if he /she wants to include spouse on this Visa he/she must show evidence of marriage, eg marriage certificate.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
FarEastAndy
Novice
Novice

Post by FarEastAndy »

Hi Buksida,

Thanks sooooo much for your information..... I meet most of the criteria just not over 50 yrs old....hmmm
Will have to think of another way to stay in the "land of smiles"

I'm thinking of buying a property, I'm not sure I can put links on here but I will try http://www.thailand-property.com/properties/tpc001.htm
Does anyone know about this company or a little back ground info?

A big thanks again.
Thats fried rice you Plick