New rules for farang fathers of Thai children wanting O Visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

New rules for farang fathers of Thai children wanting O Visa

Post by bapak »

It has been reported elsewhere that it is no longer possible to obtain a non immigrant visa from the Royal Thai Embassy or from any of the Royal Thai Consulates in the UK on the basis that you are the father of a child living in Thailand even if you possess the child's birth certificate which shows you as the father. To be eligible to apply for this type of visa you must also be married to the mother of the child and have an official marriage certificate."

I find this hypocritical. Many Thais have children and the parents are not legally married, including the PM.

I know of many instances of farang fathers here supporting their child (and the children living with him... and the mother has long disappeared.
advocate
Professional
Professional

Re: New rules for farang fathers of Thai children wanting O

Post by advocate »

Will those people that currently have this type of visa be grandfathered in and be able to renew their visa, or are we all expected to get legally married or leave the country?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Welcome back TRT - let the visa clampdowns begin ....
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Bloody hell. I just got mine 4 months ago. Planning on going to immigration and getting an extension of stay on it. Going soon.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

JimmyGreaves wrote:Bloody hell. I just got mine 4 months ago. Planning on going to immigration and getting an extension of stay on it. Going soon.
No indication of the approach by Immigration.
At this time, it is a UK visa issuing policy.
advocate
Professional
Professional

Post by advocate »

Hopefully this applies only to overseas embassies and not to those of us already here.
Can anyone who goes to renew please post here as to the outcome?
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

advocate wrote:Hopefully this applies only to overseas embassies and not to those of us already here.
Can anyone who goes to renew please post here as to the outcome?
Nothing to do with here me thinks. Means that when your O visa runs out and you have to go home to get a new one then you cannot get a new one on the same terms, 'Father of a thai child'

I believe, tell me if I'm wrong. That if you have an extension of stay based on the visa, that extension of stay keeps renewing every 3 months with a visit to immigration. When the year is up or O visa expires (unsure here) then you have present all documents again, same as extension of stay based on marriage. Can someone fill me in on the terms of renewing the extension of stay?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

If you have a O visa based on being a father of a Thai child and on arrival in Thailand obtained an Extension of Stay on that basis, you should be able extend that Extension indefinitely without having to leave the country to obtain a new visa. If you want to go home, just get a Re-Entry Permit (which keeps your Extension intact).
Or am I wrong?
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

bapak wrote:If you have a O visa based on being a father of a Thai child and on arrival in Thailand obtained an Extension of Stay on that basis, you should be able extend that Extension indefinitely without having to leave the country to obtain a new visa. If you want to go home, just get a Re-Entry Permit (which keeps your Extension intact).
Or am I wrong?
Hi Bapak.

When you arrive in Thailand you do not get an extension of stay, you get the normal 3 months and you have to do visa runs. You have to apply to immigration to get an extension of stay based on support thai child, 400k in bank etc etc similar to extension of stay based on marriage. When you get the extension of stay you then can stay indefinitely, reporting every 3 months to immigration. However you have to renew your extension of stay show 400k in bank etc, not sure when this is renewed and what bearing the original O visa has on this renewal. I'm about to do the extension of stay anytime now for the very first time, anticipating problems :(

Any tips from members who have extension of stay based on supporting their Thai child would be most welcome.
Last edited by JimmyGreaves on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
advocate
Professional
Professional

Post by advocate »

bapak wrote:If you have a O visa based on being a father of a Thai child and on arrival in Thailand obtained an Extension of Stay on that basis, you should be able extend that Extension indefinitely without having to leave the country to obtain a new visa. If you want to go home, just get a Re-Entry Permit (which keeps your Extension intact).
Or am I wrong?

I agree as this has been my experience.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

advocate wrote:
Or am I wrong?

I agree as this has been my experience.
Ok so maybe you can let me know what documents Immigration needs for this type of 'extension of stay' if you already have on.
advocate
Professional
Professional

Post by advocate »

Passport
Passport copies
Photographs
Proof of income or bank deposit of either 400,000 or 450,000? Not sure as I always use proof of income.
Birth certificate of child.
Tessaban paperwork re the childs residence and parentage.

Sorry if I can't be more specific as I've been doing this for years now, and they have reduced requirements for documentation on subsequent renewals. In previous years they required hand drawn map of where we live, family photograph, etc.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

advocate wrote:Passport
Passport copies
Photographs
Proof of income or bank deposit of either 400,000 or 450,000? Not sure as I always use proof of income.
Birth certificate of child.
Tessaban paperwork re the childs residence and parentage.

Sorry if I can't be more specific as I've been doing this for years now, and they have reduced requirements for documentation on subsequent renewals. In previous years they required hand drawn map of where we live, family photograph, etc.
Many Thanks. Gonna pop in today and see what they say.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

JG,
Once you've got your first extension, you renew every year within the last 30 days of the previous year's extension date. The original O visa is what you continue to extend off (together with any previous annual extensions). When you submit your papers for the 2nd extension and future ones, you need to photocopy the original visa and all extensions. Imm check that there's continuity through all of them - ie you've extended on time. Even if the visa expired 4 years ago (as mine has), it's that original one that has led to all subsequent extensions.
I agree that this new regulation seems to apply only to O visas, not extensions. It's a bit early to say how things will pan out.
I believe there's some Thai court paperwork you can get here proving that you're the father of your child. DNA tests may be necessary. I'm not really up on this though. It might be that Embassies and consulates will accept this for O visas in the instances where the Thai mother and foreign father are not married, have divorced or the mother has died. That's speculation though.
However, this appears to be an attempt to stop a Thai mother putting down "Joe Bloggs" as the father, when he isn't. Joe Bloggs then gets O visas back home even though not married.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

JimmyGreaves wrote:
Or am I wrong?
Hi Bapak.

When you arrive in Thailand you do not get an extension of stay, you get the normal 3 months and you have to do visa runs. You have to apply to immigration to get an extension of stay based on support thai child, 400k in bank etc etc similar to extension of stay based on marriage. When you get the extension of stay you then can stay indefinitely, reporting every 3 months to immigration. However you have to renew your extension of stay show 400k in bank etc, not sure when this is renewed and what bearing the original O visa has on this renewal. I'm about to do the extension of stay anytime now for the very first time, anticipating problems :(

Perhaps, Jimmy, I did not express more fully... I did not mean that you would get the Extension at the Airport on arrival.. I meant that after you arrive and go thru the process of getting the Extension.

Any tips from members who have extension of stay based on supporting their Thai child would be most welcome.