open a bank account, 2 outstanding questions

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Mr-Zedd

open a bank account, 2 outstanding questions

Post by Mr-Zedd »

I am thinking of opening an account at a local bank, probably at Kasikorn, as the prior postings I have read seem to indicate this bank is easy to deal with.

Hopefully, I will be able to spend 4-5 months a year here in Hua Hin over the next 5 years.

From what I had read on this forum I just bring my passport in to the bank to open an account.

I had 2 questions:

1) is there any issue with me only having a 60 tourist visa? (this will most likely be the only type of visa I will have in future visits, 60 day visa + 30 day extension, travel somewhere by air for a month, then return on another 60 day visa)

2) I plan to be living at my friend's house here in Hua Hin for those yearly visits. He is married to a Thai, but they both live most of the year in Canada. Of course my name would not be on the house registration, but can I still use this address for my bank account or should I just use a local hotel address instead? I have friends that own a hotel here and could verify I am "staying" there if the bank called them.

With regard to money, my plan was to bring maybe $5-6,000 (Canadian) with me (every year), either get it changed at a money exchange and then deposit it into the bank as Thai baht, or deposit it directly as foreign currency, and then convert it into baht, whichever would give me the best rate (after fees). Get an ATM card and then withdraw the baht as I need it. I would not have any need to take it out in foreign currency.

I didn't want to keep the money at the house in case of robbery.

Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mr Zedd
moose 961

Re: open a bank account, 2 outstanding questions

Post by moose 961 »

opened a bank account today at bk bank they also wanted drivers license. 2nd id l guess
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I'm not entirely sure, but I remember reading an article a month or two ago about the rules on opening an account at a high street bank will change.....and well they have now as the date they gave for the change was August 20 this year. I think it's something to do with laundering money or foreigners opening accounts in Thai's names....can't quite remember now.

I would guess you might need a non immigrant visa of some description now as well so don't be surprised if they ask you for one. However, having said that then there are often exceptions and rules may well vary from bank to bank as few rules end up being blanket everywhere so it may be possible still.

As for a driver's license, think you need a non immigrant visa for those generally now too.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Opening a bank account in Thailand is a pain in the rear. You might find it a lot easier just to use Traveler's Checks and rent a safety deposit box for your valuables. Do they use Traveler's Checks any more?? Showing my age I guess. Also, a lot of people gripe about the high fees but you can still use your credit cards and the occasional ATM for cash. I like to do that when on vacation so I don't carry around a lot of money. Did it for six weeks last year in the States and it was a piece of cake. If you don't like paying fees forget that suggestion though.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

I open a bank account 2 years ago,and just using my gf address ,so i think using your freinds address
should be no problem, but maybee it have changes like many other things over here.
Just remember to leave some bath on your account so its not empty i think about 300-500 bath.

:cheers: :cheers:
Rookie
Rookie

Post by image »

use your overseas atm..theres a surcharge but do it maybe once a month..dont have to carry cash if you dont want to
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I've never had a problem, but it could be because I'm on a Non O marriage visa. Only had to show my passport and provide an address.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The August 20 change has not happened yet. I was reading a real estate article yesterday indicating that the central government has not forwarded any new guidelines to banks yet, and banks are opening accounts for foreigners at their own discretion and under their own criteria. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

bsdk1960 wrote:........................Just remember to leave some bath on your account so its not empty i think about 300-500 bath. :cheers: :cheers:
Oh absolutely! Nothing worse than an empty BATH!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Mr-Zedd

Post by Mr-Zedd »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your comments.

moose 961
- was the drivers license you gave them Thai or foreign?

- using an ATM, cost me $5 in Canada and an extra $4 fee here (last time I tried it), plus the maximum I got out was $300 ($10,000) so to get one months "allowance" would cost me about $27 in fees, not so great.

T.I.G.R.
- will look into the safety deposit box idea, that may work, just leave my $5K cash there and take out a chunk when I need it, or I could just get it all in T/C's, yes people still use these, I have a few with me now actually

bsdk1960
- I wouldn't leave it empty, I would leave maybe 2-3000 baht in there until I return next time and "fill it up" again, just like a bath tub

Thanks everyone for you prompt and useful suggestions, I will plan to go to a bank early next week and try to open an account. I'll bring extra ID and see how it goes (using my friends address here). I'll let you know what happens. At least I have a better idea of what to expect or what may/may not happen during the process.

Mr Zedd
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Mr-Zedd

Let us know how it goes :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

Kasikorn is fine, opened another account last week and took me all of 10 minutes, all they wanted was the passport and an address, so easy
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I will plan to go to a bank early next week and try to open an account.
From my experience and that of others I know, if you start getting problems just try another bank or even another branch of the same bank as there doesn't seem to be any consistancy to rules or how they're implemented. I've had a Bangkok Bank account for many years and I go in and out of Thailand repeatedly on tourist visas as I work away and have never been registered to any address as the house is in my partners name.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

blue05 wrote:Kasikorn is fine, opened another account last week and took me all of 10 minutes, all they wanted was the passport and an address, so easy
Siam Commercial is the same, in and out in 10 minutes with a card and paying in book.
Mr-Zedd

Post by Mr-Zedd »

Just got back from the Kasikorn bank.

Opening the account only took 10 min. They wanted my passport and an address here in Thailand. That's it.

After I had signed all the forms and given them a deposit she informed me that it costs 400 baht to get an ATM/debit card. This was news to me. Apparently they don't give them out for free like in Canada. Not at this bank anyway.

Not sure if this card "purchase" fee is only for foreigner's or only with this bank. Regardless, I can't see anyway to avoid this since having an account without an ATM card is pretty useless.

This bank also requires a minimum of 2000 baht in the account at all times.

Thanks for the many responses to my query, I appreciate it.

Mr Zedd