Visa Run

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
coloradokid
Amateur
Amateur

Visa Run

Post by coloradokid »

What is a quick, comfortable and inexpensive way to accomplish the visa run from Hua Hin? Is Ranong the closest exit/entry point?

I've seen travel agent shops advertize mightninght runs to Ranong returning 15 or so hours later. Is this as good as it gets?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Ranong's your closest exit point.
There are overnight buses, or one that leaves at 8am. They take about 7 hours one way so, with messing around in Ranong, 17 hours is about right.
If there's enough of you, hiring a car for te day is OK and not too pricey. Quickest I ever made it was in 4.5 hrs. That was scary. I's allow 5-5.5 with stops each way.
Have fun.
coloradokid
Amateur
Amateur

Can U recommend a hotel?

Post by coloradokid »

17 hours on the road sounds like a real marathon.

Is there a nice hotel to overnight in Ranong to make the trip a little more civilized?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I've stayed at The Asia hotel a few times (pronounced ACR). About 650 a night if I remember correctly. All the motorcycle taxis will know it. It's in the middle of town.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Can U recommend a hotel?

Post by Guess »

coloradokid wrote: Is there a nice hotel to overnight in Ranong to make the trip a little more civilized?
There is a big one on Petchkasem on the left if coming from Hua Hin called the Royal Garden ar maybe Ranong Garden. 600 Baht per bight. Very clean and good breakfast menu. It is just after the truning for the port.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
coloradokid
Amateur
Amateur

bus to Ranong

Post by coloradokid »

Any idea where I catch the bus to Ranong? I've seen the bus zoom by at night, but I don't know where it stops or where I can buy a ticket. Any advise?
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

There is a bus station very close to the railway crossing in the centre of town - this is the recommended place to catch the bus to Ranong as the ones that go through on Phetkasem Road aren't guaranteed to stop and in fact normally only do if they are dropping someone off (near the clock tower by Starbucks). I think in general the last bus is either 11 or 12 pm, getting you into Ranong around 5 or 6 am. If you are trying to do there and back in a day this is the bus you want to catch, although it does often mean hanging around for the immigration office to open in Ranong, and then for the bus back afterwards.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

There's a Phuket bound bus that leaves the bus terminal at 8am. That will drop you off in Ranong in time to do the necessary.
Busses back leave Ranong quite frequently and will get you back to HH @ 1am the next day.